2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hey people,

I am still working on the feedback for you. It has been a bit heart breaking seeing that many submissions which do not follow the rules - and a lot of them, by a large margin. Still, I'm with Mister Fox in strictly enforcing these rules. I will post in a day or two the results of the first round, please bear with me not delivering sooner, but as you know this situation has been a bit of a change to say the least for a lot of people and I'm currently dealing with a lot of studies and other things' work that I'm unable to postpone.

Take care,
Jorge
TomFernsby

Post by TomFernsby »

Hello guys,
I am sorry for the problem with shared folder. That is one way how to shoot oneself to the foot!

I am also for strict enforcing of the rules. Next time, I need to take more attention.

Would it be possible to get author's feedback on my mix, Jorge? Outside of the challenge, of course. Just PM would be fine. I am still learning and feedback would help me. I'd very appreciate it!

My mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hGil2x ... sp=sharing
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hey!

Good night all, I know I'm delivering just before the deadline but I couldn't do it before.

It has been really interesting to listen to all of your mixes, because I don't really know your mixing and music backgrounds but I can see there have been a lot of different approaches to mixing this thing, from people who (looks like) already has some experience mixing electronic genres, to others who gave it their own spin. I know it's not your typical rock/pop thing to mix, and that's probably what a lot of people are used to mixing :grin:

Unfortunately there have been several mixes I couldn't check (no time to check disqualified submissions :sad: ) but here is my feedback for the ones that qualified (link to a PDF file in my Google Drive):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gCy4hj ... sp=sharing

As you can see, for each track there is feedback for each of what I consider the "main sections": drums (everything falling into the main drum bus, including the kick, snare/clap, hi hats and break loops, and other little percussions), bass (in this case, only the sub bass), and what I call "atmos" or "melodics" (all the pads, atmospheres, noises and ambiances, which, in this track, are conceptually bundled together).

That said, I'm writing here the list of the chosen mixes to go to the next round, in no particular order:
- MellowBrowne
- msom
- linden6790
- delicate
- TPR
- canese
- pabloAT
- MartinMenzel
- hjchjc
- Wizzo

Congrats to the selected mixers! Some of these made me reconsider my own mixing skills... :face: :hug:

If you are not in the previous list or in the feedback PDF... I'm sorry to say you have been disqualified for one (or more) of the following reasons:
- Excessive loudness values
- Incorrect format (not WAV, 44.1/24, stereo)
- I was unable to download the file
- No documentation
- Revisions of the mix after original post
- Heavy arrangement modification

If you have submitted a disqualified mix but still want feedback, please let me know and I will try to deliver via PM as soon as I can. Also, if you are a non-disqualified participant and you want more feedback, I can also give you some more :) If you want to know why you were disqualified, I can do, too (also via PM).

PD: Please Mister Fox let me know if posting a link to a PDF is valid or I have to post all the feedback in a forum post.
Last edited by Jorgeelalto on Tue May 05, 2020 10:17 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
InCapitals

Post by InCapitals »

Hello from France !

Can I briefly know why my submission is not in your pdf ? Because my file looked ok in the Mr Fox's pdf :s
Anyway, thanks for your work !
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I'm checking in the with Song Provider regarding something first.

Please do not start on your edit, or submit anything. I will make an official announcement for Round 2 shortly.

Thank you.
MrMista

Post by MrMista »

Disqualified? Explain yourself.
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi all,

I'm very sorry about this, but I missed a rule check and now there is another disqualified submission - DennisBastioni (wrong format, 44.1/16 instead of 44.1/24). Since they were in the selected mixes for round 2, I have taken the next on my list, so now canese goes to the second round, too.

Now I will address the requested explanations here:

- InCapitals: You didn't provide any documentation. I was flexible about this, I really didn't needed to see much to put the documentation check to OK, but... I don't know, when I see "documentation required" I expect something on the lines of pabloAT, Mellow Browne, or canese, with not just a list of plugins you used in the mix or in each track, but specific things you did to key elements (I saturated a bit the 808 with Decapitator, for example).

- MrMista: Again, a lack of proper documentation was the first thing. I mean, yeah, FabFilter on everything, and I can mostly guess what those FFs did on each track, but that's not really explaining anything. But even if I considered your documentation as valid, then your file reached -15.5 LUFS (as measured with Orban Loudness Meter), so 0.5 LUFS more than the limit permitted, and it doesn't even enter in the +- 0.3 LUFS tolerance range.That was a close one and I was dissapointed to see it, but... I guess we have to put the limits somewhere.

I'm sorry about all disqualifications. If you want me to address more in public or PM, please let me know.
InCapitals

Post by InCapitals »

I Understand and I apologize...

I feel dumb because I am not really good with sound processing vocabulary but I'll sould have read more user posts ;)

Anyway, I would be infinitely happy if you provide me a quick review of my contribution !

Bonne journée !
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

InCapitals wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 CEST

I feel dumb because I am not really good with sound processing vocabulary but I'll sould have read more user posts ;)

Anyway, I would be infinitely happy if you provide me a quick review of my contribution !

Bonne journée !
No worries, I will add you to the TODO feedback list, and I will PM you with the review when I'm done :tu:
InCapitals

Post by InCapitals »

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:44 CEST
InCapitals wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 CEST

Bonne journée !
No worries, I will add you to the TODO feedback list, and I will PM you with the review when I'm done :tu:
Thanks you very much to spend time for me ;) I'd love to mix another track of yours!