2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 10-APR-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, Jorgeelalto.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Sunday, 10-APR-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 10 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)
(new forum feature, all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@canese
@delicate
@hjchjc
@linden6790
@Martin Menzel
@msom
@Mellow Browne
@pabloAT
@TPR
@Wizzo

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 7656#p7656

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.

A thank you to everyone, and good luck for Round 2
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 10-APR-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: I am saying this only once.

If you (the user) are not disqualified from a technical standpoint, but you're not in Round 2, Yet instead of accepting this decision by the Song Provider ("the client"), you rather have go with straight up derogatory insults, you're being booted off the forum. Plain and simple.

MrMista - your account is now suspended for three months.

If you want to, you can explain your behavior through the official contact form. If you result to another barrage of insults, the suspension turns into a permanent ban.

This is an official warning to everyone.
Treat each other with respect, or your writing rights will be revoked.

I will not tolerate this behavior!
Piranha

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Piranha »

Thanks for the super usefull mix review Jorgeelalto . Best luck to all r2 participants!
pabloAT

Post by pabloAT »

Dear Jorge, Mister Fox et al.,
Many thanks Jorge for sharing with us this nice track and for your deep review/analysis of the different mixes.
I’ve enjoyed a lot working on your project (and learned a lot).

I’ve addressed the 3 points you’ve raised for my mixed track revision, as follows:
Drums: I’ve adjusted the stereo field mainly for the snare/clap track. Effectively, there was too much side signal…Revision of the full track in mono -> OK. I’ve also adjusted the kick’s level and worked a bit on its transients.
Bass: I’ve (almost) completely removed the distortion on the bass from 2:11. And yes, it fits better now with the track’s ambient and vibe.
Atmos: After adjusting the kick and bass, everything looks in general more balanced with the chillness and ambient-like aspect of the track. I’ve also gained a bit more of headroom... :-)

DAW = Cubase 10.0.60
Integrated LUFS = -20.0
True Peak = -4.6 dB

[Link for the revised version (R2) of the track]

Best wishes,

Pablo
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Thanks for the feedback, I tried to manage the things you mentioned. So, I did the following:

-Ambience/Atmo lowered by 3 db

-Drum bus raised by 0.5 db

-Kick has a little more of 60 Hz from Pultec and raised just a tiny bit in the mix (0.3 db)

-Snare has a little more of 200 Hz + 4 kHz from Pultec and release time of compressor is a bit longer

-Break element > just a bit more multi band compression and longer release time around 1-4 kHz because it was clashing with the snare

-808 > added a bit of tube saturation

The drum tone balance has changed just a little bit, but in my opinion it is very subtle. Let me know what you think.

Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xfirU8 ... sp=sharing

Have a nice weekend.
Martin Menzel

Post by Martin Menzel »

Hi! Thanks for detailed feedback

I have made the suggested changes and here it goes...

MC064_7thPyramid_Octalism_MartinMenzel_R2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OlPl9N ... sp=sharing

all the best for you!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the last 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2

All of Mix Round 2 participants should have gotten a special reminder. If this works out well, I might continue that reminder for future second mixing rounds (even though it's more work on my end - but I do want to keep people engaged)
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

Didn't do that much to this mix, but I took away the panning effects on the break track and centered some other elements, as per your feedback. There's a bit more separation overall and a bit less aggression, in keeping with some of the other DNB music I listened to.

I added TRANSATURE, STEQ, and PuigTec EQ to my mix bus (all of them color the sound in a very 'warm' way), and replaced the decapitator on the 808 bass with BESURE-N87. There isn't a lot else to report!

the mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1la0Ejy ... sp=sharing
delicate

Post by delicate »

Greetings!

Maybe you could help me out with this issue.

I use Studio One 4.6 and work with the 48khz sample rate.
I noticed that when I do a mixdown to 44.1/24, the audio file loses quite a bit of high end in comparison to the DAW project.

This drastically alters the tonal balance. It is evident auditorily, and can be confirmed by comparing the spectrums of the files (please see an attached screenshot) or by importing a track into the session (dedicated output) and flipping its phase.

When I bounce the project to 48khz (essentially without downsampling), there is no high end loss.

I also tried to downsample the 48 khz file in a separate program — Audacity.
It also results in a high end loss but not so drastic (starting from roughly 18khz) and therefore not so noticeable auditorily.
Off Topic
Downsampling at bounce (in Studio One) = more frequency loss
High frequency loss — screenshot #1

Downsampling in Audacity = less frequency loss
High frequency loss — screenshot #2
Is it supposed to work like that? I've seen multiple times that it's okay to upsample things and downsample back on bounce.
What shall I do to fix this?

This, unfortunately, affects my submission for this round (and actually affected my submission for the first round, as I just found out).
delicate

Post by delicate »

Still looking for help with the above, but for now I tackled the problem by reducing my project's sample rate to 44.1 so that no downsampling happens at bounce.

Here is the revision of my mix:
.wav — 44.1/24

I tried to address the concerns mentioned in the review of round 1.
Most notable changes are described below:

Kick
— noticeably increased the low cut filter on the kick drum to make is less subby
— reduced the midrange cut to get back a little bit more of knock

Bass
— added just a little distortion and EQ the 808 with REDDI plugin
— reduced overall level to slightly alter the track's balance

Pads
— filtered out low end mud
— decreased 420 hz by 3-4 dbs but slightly increased overall level
— used a little autopanning and extensive automation throughout the track to add movement and help the drums to dominate more.