2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Denzzony

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Submissions until 21-06-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Denzzony »

Greetings! Here is my mix. I will add a description later
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B0MLM3 ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd June 2020, 00:10 UTC+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

Another very warm welcome to all new participants. A huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. Please help get the Songwriting Competition as popular (3 days left).

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 00 submissions this month (will be updated shortly)
  • We have 0 submission after the deadline
  • We have plenty of entries that have barely to no documentation (once more: please take note of the official Rules and Guidelines)

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition 34 (SWC34) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th June 2020, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST.

Please spread the word!

:arrow: And if I could ask for less than 5 minutes of your time, there is currently a poll running in the "Q&A" section: it is about a possible dedicated "Rule Book" section. You have the rare chance to influence the look of the community forum in the future. Please check out the following link.

Poll: Do you want to see a dedicated "Rule Book" section?
Denzzony

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Submissions until 21-06-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Denzzony »

Denzzony wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 23:57 CEST
Greetings! Here is my mix. I will add a description later
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B0MLM3 ... sp=sharing
Greetings! On kick and snare equalization. On hats and cymbals equalization, de-esser, dual mono compressor. Drum Group - Ssl bus compressor and Sonnox Inflator. Promise on reverb. On snare and toms plate. The bass is copied to two tracks - one for highs, one for low, equalization, compression. Bass group - Equalization, Radiator, Decapitator, Reverb. On the keys - equalization, envelope shaper, XLN rc-20. Strings - Equalization slice high and low, Soothe. Vocal, equalization, 2 compressors, de -esser, preamp. Guitar - Equalization, Parallel Compression, MS Equalization. For each group of preamp tools.
Johnny11771

Post by Johnny11771 »

Top Mixers I would like to invite back for round two are:

VasDim-
watch your bass level, work on the drums, think drum buss processing, add width and brightness.

Kirurg-
your on the right track, use your high pass and low pass filters especially on gtrs to get rid of a little bit of harshness..etc..

MattRocket-
watch your bass level ...your on the right track.

MiniTooth-
snare panned to the right? its different. work on your overall drum sounds. The lead vocal could be a little more full range, i think

ThaSome-
The kick drum is rocking my world listen to your mix on big speakers.

AndrewMcPherson-
you may have a phase issue, listen to your mix in mono. some processing is over cooking your mix buss..

Zsolt-
you know what your doing, I would check your balances a little and maybe a warmer gtr sound.

Jerze-
I would watch your kick level and general balances, your on the right track

Denzzony-
watch your kick level and general balances just sounds like its undercooked and needs a bit more time.

rvalle-
bass sounds a bit out front like its taking away from the vocal, check your mix on different speakers

Icetone-
I think you should check your mix on bigger speakers, low end sounds a bit overwheming

Skible-
mix sounds a bit thin in the midrange, listen to what some of the other people are doing from this list.

john-
bass is a bit out front and balances sound a bit off, but generaly good.

Flood-
I think the reverb needs the highs rolled off, maybe. I hear a bit of overall harshness use your high and low filters on some tracks to smooth things over.

Miha-
the rawness of the mix is different I would be careful of things like predelay on toms, I think in a strange way I like it.

Thank You to all for some excellent mixes. it was quite hard to choose. john
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

Thank you, Johnny! I'll check it. :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 29-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, Cameron.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Monday, 29-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 15 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)
(new forum feature, all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@AndrewMcPherson
@Denzzony
@Flood
@Icetone
@Jerze
@john
@kirurg
@MattRocket
@Miha
@MiniTooth
@rvalle
@Skible
@ThaSome
@VasDim
@Zsolt

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 8015#p8015

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.

A thank you to everyone, and good luck for Round 2
Miha

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 29-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Miha »

Hey John !

You're right: raw is the kind of sound I like. With your tune, I guess the key factor for this was the automation : I've tried to adjust the balance along the song to keep a tension 'till the end. I'm glad you like this approach too ! Here is what I plan for the second round:
- double check the effects timing;
- take a little more time on balancing and EQing the mix in mono and at different levels;
- enhance the depth of the mix to create a more realistic space.

Do you have any suggestions or direction you'd like for this mix ?

Thanks, take care.
AndrewMcPherson

Post by AndrewMcPherson »

ALl right, thanks!
I'll review my mix and fix the issue.
Regards!!!
Skible

Post by Skible »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RM1A7Z ... sp=sharing

I listened and A/B:ed some other mixes to mine. I ended up doing some small EQ changes in the range of 0.5-2dB. Snare got some more 200 and 800Hz, drum bus got little bit of 200 as well. From bass I cut little bit of 215Hz, and in harmony bus (gtr and keys) I boosted little bit of 300 and 600Hz. Vocals got some 518Hz. Sounds thicker to me. Hopefully judges agree :smile: :headscratch: Today was the only day I got time to make any fixes, so this has to do.
kirurg

Post by kirurg »

Hi everyone,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftn61a8rd9z5e ... 2.wav?dl=0

Thank you John for picking me out to R2.
Edited manually the guitar track to get some
frequencies less present. Also, a little tuning
of strings and verse keys for the same purpose.