2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Submissions until 21-06-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your mix
Photonic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC066 June 2020 - Submissions until 21-06-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Photonic »

Hi all,

Here is my mix of this song. Main issue for me was the sound of the snare. The raw sound is very short and snappy. So I tried to make the sound longer and with less transient. With OTT (simple multiband compressor/expander) and Transpire I could shape it to my like.
I used some tuning for the lead voice at longer notes. Not much, but it helps. And I added some slap delay.
I split the guitar in two tracks to process the intro in a different way. I used some Chorus to make it wider.
The guitar for the rest of the song got some additional amplified sound with ThrillseekerVBL and a delay which I panned to the opposite side of the guitar.
Nothing special on the Rest.

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/owsg5i0axquv0 ... c.wav?dl=0

Drum-Bus: Presswerk, ReaEQ, ThrillseekerXTC
Kick: ReaEQ, ReaComp
Snare: OTT, ReaEQ, FreeverbToo, GreenEugen, Transpire
all other Drums: ReaEQ
additional Room: ReaEQ, Verberate
Bass: BassProfessorII, ReaEQ
Piano: OTT, ReaEQ, ThrillseekerXTC
VerseKey: ReaEQ, ThrillseekerXTC, Digital Multiply
Strings: ReaEQ, Digital Multiply
KeySound: ReaEQ
Gtr-Intro: ReaEQ, Digital Multiply, ThrillseekerXTC
Gtr-Rest: ReaEQ, OTT, ReaDelay, ThrillseekerVBL
Gtr-Solo: ReaEQ
Vox-Bus: OTT
Lead: ReaEQ, ReaTune, Presswerk, ReaDelay
Back: ReaEQ, Presswerk

Master: Presswerk, MQ57, SPAN
All REverbs: Acon Digital Verberate
Necaster

Post by Necaster »

Hello all. Please, meet a newcomer😊

Here is my mixing process for MC066:
Everything was mixed ‘In The Box’, no external gear. Main DAW is Cakewalk by BandLab.
At the first stage several tracks were dubbed (copied) to either make a Left-Right panorama more pronounced and/or to combine different EQ settings.
Tracks dubbed: snare, guitar, guitar lead, piano, Verse Keys.
Bass track was copied twice. Two instances, EQ’d with a slight 110-200Hz hump, are placed hard Left/Right, the ‘Center’ bass track with a cut in the same 110-200Hz area, stays dead center with L/R bass tracks levels approximately -3dB related to the center.

Toms, Cymbals and Overheads: A1 Stereo Control plugin was used for widening panorama.
All drums tracks (excepting room mikes), lead guitar tracks, keyboards, vocals were parallel processed with reverb (via FX send to separate FX Bus).
Scuffham Amps S-Gear plugin was inserted to piano tracks to make a desired overdrive effect.

A compressor, which is side chained by Kick send, is inserted to the ‘Central’ Bass track to clean the bass attack.
Toms track was edited to bring the signal to proper level in some spots. Peak limiter plugin is inserted for the same reason.

Lead vocal track is treated with Vocal Doubler (namely Eventide T-Verb) and Sound Toys’ EchoBoy delay.
Track volume/FX automation was used for snare, strings tracks, lead vox tracks; master volume automation applied for fading down the mix.
Slight EQing, peak suppression with The Glue plugin, A1 Stereo control used on the master track to tame the final mix export.
File trimming and level adjusting (Youlean loudness meter) made in Steinberg Wavelab.
One of the singer’s last lines (‘…yes, she’s the reason…’ starting at 03’04”) was pitch corrected by Melodyne5 (integral part of Cakewalk). Restrained from ‘polishing’ the whole track – eventually, it’s not an opera singers contest. Rock can be rough sometimes.

Here’s the mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e1hio1 ... sp=sharing
Some print screens: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
ramgonzalezlo

Post by ramgonzalezlo »

Hi,

Here my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nQKfMl ... sp=sharing

DAW: Pro Tools

Keys and piano: Mod Delay 3 for more stereo.

Guitars: D-Verb and eq.

Kick: Gate. Compressor. D-Verb. Eq.
Snare: Compressor. D-verb. Eq. Mod Delay 3

Bass: Eq

Vox: Eq, Mod Delay 3 and ping pong Waves HDelay.

I really think that the sound of the guitars is not good.

Thank you
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi,

The following comment is in the submission guidelines:
The guitars might need suitable EQ treatment (you can't change much here, no re-amping this month).
I had a look through the Rules but couldn't find anything specifically about re-amping. Does this mean that amp plug-ins can't be used? Or does it refer to using hardware amps/mikes?

Cheers!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

cpsmusic wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 02:22 CEST
Does this mean that amp plug-ins can't be used? Or does it refer to using hardware amps/mikes?
It means that the song provider committed to a certain sound. As in, this particular guitar sound is "printed to tape" and you can't do much more about it. There are no DI tracks available this month.

It does not mean that you can not try to use re-amping techniques (through plugins or real hardware) regardless. It might not be possible with the guitars though (guitar > Yamaha THR amp). The bass is a completely different topic.
soundhoneystudios

Post by soundhoneystudios »

Hey everyone!

First time doing a mix competition on this forum. A copy of my submission is linked in dropbox below. I decided to do mix that uses a combination of the 80/90s rock techniques along with a couple of more modern techniques as well just to see what the result would be. A sort of hybrid approach. So along with the verb on the drums and 80's style guitars, I used some modern pop techniques, like a more up front vocal sound, along with some delay and reverb throws to emphasize certain words. All in all it was a fun song to play around with!

Bill

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwm7j4j0x9pmi ... s.wav?dl=0
SuC76

Post by SuC76 »

Hello everyone on Mix Challenge.com

Thanks for opportunity to mix the song, I hope you all enjoyed digging it :)

Here's the mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nGy3th ... sp=sharing

DAW: Ableton Live

Drums:
Kick - split into 3 tracks, stock eq (sub, mid, highs), grouped and all treated with FG-401, FG-N and FG-Bomber with touch of TSAR-1R reverb
Snare - split into 3 tracks (sub, mid, printed reverb from outboard SPX900), grouped and treated with FG-401, FG-N, light fader aut. through the song

Bass:
Split into 4 tracks, stock eq(Sub,DI, DI+BOD, printed SPX900 light chorus), grouped and treated with FG-116 and FG-N, light fader aut. through the song

Guitars:
Split into two tracks (one of them printed in mono and little added to stereo track) grouped, low-pass and hi-pass with stock eq, added little top with FG-S, touch of slap delay and chorus, light fader aut.through the song

Keys:
Grouped together, low-pass and hi-pass with stock eq, treated with FG-116 and FG-S, added slap delay, long delay and TSAR-1R plate
light fader aut. through the song

Vocals:
Lead - Ekramer VC with touch of comp. ,bass and treble eq, slap and verb, H3000 micropitch slap, added slap delay, automated long delay and touch of TSAR-1R plate
BV - all treated the same but without H3000 , stock chorus and TSAR-1R plate
Grouped together, low-pass and hi-pass with stock eq, slightly removed low-mids, light fader aut. through the song

Mixbus:
VTM Brit-N, UAD-Pultec, VTM

Bye.
rapidstone

Post by rapidstone »

Hello Everyone!

Here's my Mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YqsST0 ... sp=sharing

Hope you like it!

-R-
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Hello,
Here is my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BomNCS ... sp=sharing

I try too add new look to the song.
Kick - add a little bit low end
Snare - I added short reverb instead of long reverb.
Vocal - I cut some harsh frequencies and a little bit highs.
Guitar - I added lot of high end.
Other instruments - Cut some annoying frequencies and a little bit reverb.

Cheers :phones: