2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Snarowitz

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Snarowitz »

White Punk OD wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 22:39 CEST
I would appreciate to handle the mixes like a "thesis", that will get challenged in many ways, and has to be defended, for the sake of education and finding one's own position in a fair but intense way.
Interesting conversation White Punk Overdive, I cant imagine being responsible for selecting a winner. Nor could I even fathom haven to read and relate to ~100 thesis. I would give them all a quick listen, remove the ones that jumped out with some negative points, highlight a select few, and pick the rest out of a hat. It’s not really fare to the contestants, some mixes take fresh ears or a different perspective to really appreciate. But that’s the nature of a contest: Always some amount of luck involved, right down to the critiquers mood that day and what mix he or she heard before/after yours. I’m sure their focus isn’t the same for every mix either.

There have been a few artists I would love to work with (Paint Me in Colour more than most), and even though I know I could deliver an excellent mix working closely with the artists, if my mix doesn’t fall nicely on their ears, day of critique, I will not have much of an opportunity to get to know them. Without that relationship I usually just mix to my own preference (with a lot of saturation and color to my own taste). Definitely not for everyone (especially if you’re under 35, over 45).

I have been in mix challenges for 14 months (missed 2 though), and only placed in the 2nd round once (on a jazz song I’d actually mixed before for some local artists, so I had some experience working with talent on that song in that genre). Most of my feedback has been “good mix, not great”. Took me some time to accept that failure. I’ll be honest, it was tough at first. Over time I’ve gained some perspective, and learned a lot getting to work on music coming out of other countries. Maybe someday I’ll even win one... But it’s always interesting, and good experience.

I forgot to thank Mister Fox with my entry this month, you are awesome, the world is lucky to have you.

Best to all,

SNarowitz
guitarjeff

Post by guitarjeff »

Ha Ha I think White Punk OD = White Punk on Dope. (Tubes reference)
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

thanks for all friendly mentions!
Edu Cesar wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 04:42 CEST
... ... I’m still not sure about mids because I’m going away from headphones and working on my room/speakers, but I would check eq on the reverb/delay tracks maybe. I really get a live feel from your mix, like a band playing in front of me. It’s very faithful from the performance I think.
Cheers!
yeah at the end of the day I think so, will check this in a revision. good to see it confirmed.
it's just some work to rewire things, because these are insert plugins that have no mid EQ, so I will have to split that into dry and reverberated/delayed paths.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I am getting a lot of PM's and mails with the same question lately.

:arrow: "Has there been an update to the evaluation of Mix Round 1?"

My last status is, that the song provider (Sam Pierpoint and his band mates) are still working themselves through the material. Please also take note of the established time frames for the Mix Challenge. Even with sorting out entries due to technicalities, that is still over 60 songs to listen to, considering 109 entries in July.

We have not exceeded 14 days yet, please be patient, have an eye on this thread.

As with every Mix Challenge, all updates will be announced in here, and participants of Mix Round 2 will be informed via an individual newsletter as well (which has been new since MC065). Thank you for your patience and understanding.
sam.pierpont

Post by sam.pierpont »

HEY GUYSSSSS!!

So we've managed to get through all of the submissions and wow. It has been such a great experience listening to all the mixes. It shows just how much of an art form mixing really is, every mix was able to take the track in a totally new direction every though you all started with the exact same material. As we said in the first brief, we were looking for a mix to take the song and do something new and different and change our opinion of this song just becoming a b-side and gathering dust, all whilst keeping the fundamentals of the song which we originally loved!

So after listening to over 100 mixes we've got it down to 8. And those 8 are...

@MattRocket
@HomespunAudio
@GIANCARLO
@SuC76
@jimmy88
@doobop
@SDB_12
@Mork

However @SuC76 apparently your disqualified for having an incorrect file name and a 16bit mix-down? :face: So that takes it down to 7 mixes, just before I list the revisions I'll just say that there we're one or two things that I'd say was a revision for more or less every mix. The tom overdubs we had in our heads as a super subtle effect in the background and to sound as if they were to be played muffled and "under water" as we described it haha, also the break in the last chorus should be super dry to give it more impact, other than that it's all individual revisions...here we go!

MIX REVISIONS

Matt Rocket - Snare is a little boxy, the Tom overdubs in the pre-chorus should sound sort of like there being played under water so not much attack at all and a fair amount of reverb. The guitar at the start of verse 2 could be quite a bit louder. The lead vocal could be brought a little more forward in the mix and the break in the last chorus, if that could be super dry that’d be great!

HomespunAudio - The floor Tom could have more low end thump to it and the Tom overdubs in the pre-chorus should sound sort of like there being played under water so not much attack at all and a fair amount of reverb. The guitar at the start of the second verse is a little quiet. not a big fan of the phaser on the middle 8 guitars.

Giancarlo - Floor Tom could have some more low end thump to it, the Tom overdubs should sound like there being played underwater so not much attack at all and a good amount of reverb. Not a big fan of the guitar delay in the second verse. The hi hats are a little loud or bright in the last choruses.

Jimmy 88 - the snare could be made a bit fatter and the Tom overdubs are a little loud, I love the vocal effects btw! the overdub guitars in the middle 8 are too loud and both parts should sound like one. Hi hats are a little loud/bright in the last chorus’s.

Doobop - the plate reverb on the vocal is a little too much for the verse’s, the Tom overdubs are too loud and a little room reverb would be nice to sit them back a bit, the lead vocal could get a little bigger in the middle 8, maybe some verbs or delays? Hi hats are a tad too loud in the last chorus and if you could dry up that little break in the last chorus that’d be perfect!

SDB_12 - Lead vocal could come more forward and it may possibly be too scooped on the mids. Tom overdubs could be set back and again should sound like there being played underwater so no attack and a good amount of reverb, if you could make the distorted guitars in the middle 8 a little wider that’d be cool!

Mork - Snare could have a bit more body to it, and the lead vocal could come more forward and maybe a little less boxy, the toms could have a little less attack on them. The guitar in the first part of the second verse is too loud. Hi hats are a little too loud in the last chorus.

If any of you are a little unsure on any of the revisions just shoot me over a DM! Also as part of the EP release we're hoping to include the mix challenge to help promote it in someway so if possible while your making your revisions could you all please take a short video (or a time lapse would be ideal) of you mixing the track and upload it with your submission and let us know where your from!

Thanks again to everyone who entered! And I don't like to go back on my word however giving every mix feedback seemed a bit of a taller order than we originally thought so instead we've decided that anyone who does want mix feedback (disqualified or not) please DM me and although it might be a slow reply I will reply back with individual mix feedback!

BIG THANKS,
Sam Pierpoint & Paint Me In Colour

www.facebook.com/paintmeincolour
javiramallo

Post by javiramallo »

sam.pierpont wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:58 CEST
HEY GUYSSSSS!!

So we've managed to get through all of the submissions and wow. It has been such a great experience listening to all the mixes. It shows just how much of an art form mixing really is, every mix was able to take the track in a totally new direction every though you all started with the exact same material. As we said in the first brief, we were looking for a mix to take the song and do something new and different and change our opinion of this song just becoming a b-side and gathering dust, all whilst keeping the fundamentals of the song which we originally loved!

So after listening to over 100 mixes we've got it down to 8. And those 8 are...

@MattRocket
@HomespunAudio
@GIANCARLO
@SuC76
@jimmy88
@doobop
@SDB_12
@Mork

However @SuC76 apparently your disqualified for having an incorrect file name and a 16bit mix-down? :face: So that takes it down to 7 mixes, just before I list the revisions I'll just say that there we're one or two things that I'd say was a revision for more or less every mix. The tom overdubs we had in our heads as a super subtle effect in the background and to sound as if they were to be played muffled and "under water" as we described it haha, also the break in the last chorus should be super dry to give it more impact, other than that it's all individual revisions...here we go!

MIX REVISIONS

Matt Rocket - Snare is a little boxy, the Tom overdubs in the pre-chorus should sound sort of like there being played under water so not much attack at all and a fair amount of reverb. The guitar at the start of verse 2 could be quite a bit louder. The lead vocal could be brought a little more forward in the mix and the break in the last chorus, if that could be super dry that’d be great!

HomespunAudio - The floor Tom could have more low end thump to it and the Tom overdubs in the pre-chorus should sound sort of like there being played under water so not much attack at all and a fair amount of reverb. The guitar at the start of the second verse is a little quiet. not a big fan of the phaser on the middle 8 guitars.

Giancarlo - Floor Tom could have some more low end thump to it, the Tom overdubs should sound like there being played underwater so not much attack at all and a good amount of reverb. Not a big fan of the guitar delay in the second verse. The hi hats are a little loud or bright in the last choruses.

Jimmy 88 - the snare could be made a bit fatter and the Tom overdubs are a little loud, I love the vocal effects btw! the overdub guitars in the middle 8 are too loud and both parts should sound like one. Hi hats are a little loud/bright in the last chorus’s.

Doobop - the plate reverb on the vocal is a little too much for the verse’s, the Tom overdubs are too loud and a little room reverb would be nice to sit them back a bit, the lead vocal could get a little bigger in the middle 8, maybe some verbs or delays? Hi hats are a tad too loud in the last chorus and if you could dry up that little break in the last chorus that’d be perfect!

SDB_12 - Lead vocal could come more forward and it may possibly be too scooped on the mids. Tom overdubs could be set back and again should sound like there being played underwater so no attack and a good amount of reverb, if you could make the distorted guitars in the middle 8 a little wider that’d be cool!

Mork - Snare could have a bit more body to it, and the lead vocal could come more forward and maybe a little less boxy, the toms could have a little less attack on them. The guitar in the first part of the second verse is too loud. Hi hats are a little too loud in the last chorus.

If any of you are a little unsure on any of the revisions just shoot me over a DM! Also as part of the EP release we're hoping to include the mix challenge to help promote it in someway so if possible while your making your revisions could you all please take a short video (or a time lapse would be ideal) of you mixing the track and upload it with your submission and let us know where your from!

Thanks again to everyone who entered! And I don't like to go back on my word however giving every mix feedback seemed a bit of a taller order than we originally thought so instead we've decided that anyone who does want mix feedback (disqualified or not) please DM me and although it might be a slow reply I will reply back with individual mix feedback!

BIG THANKS,
Sam Pierpoint & Paint Me In Colour

www.facebook.com/paintmeincolour
Hey Sam.
Thank you for the effort.

Was nice to have the opportunity to mix this amazing song.
Give thanks to all the band.
Of course, Thanks to mix challenge too.

Keep learning.

Cheers.
Javier.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 06-AUG-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, Sam.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Thursday, 06-AUG-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 7 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@doobop
@GIANCARLO
@HomespunAudio
@jimmy88
@MattRocket
@Mork
@SDB_12

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=8363#p8363

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.
doobop

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 06-AUG-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by doobop »

Hi,
here is my revision mix after following the instructions that Sam provided. Now I believe is much better, more spicy I'd say. Waiting for opinions..

Revision Mix Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9p0l0f8va262 ... 2.wav?dl=0

and here is the Time-Lapse Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkfq3wut69rzi ... 2.mov?dl=0

I hope the band finds the mix they desire either it's mine or someone else's mix.
Good luck to everyone!

Regards!
GIANCARLO

Post by GIANCARLO »

Hi,
Here´s my revision based on the suggestions made by Sam:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/89uzjcbj3h9be ... 2.wav?dl=0
-Deleted the delay on the second verse guitar.
-Added reverb, eq and lowered the volume of the tom overdubs.
-Added thump to the live toms.
-Automated the OH, room and hihat in the last chorus.
I can´t make a video of the process because my notebook is too old but I´m a comic artist so I can make you a nice drawing if you want to :)
Anyway, thanks to Sam, the band and the Mix Challenge for the opportunity.
All the best,
Giancarlo
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Here comes my update with a refined vocal/guitar tone and balance, a little parallel devil loc on snare and if those toms aren't underwater I don't know what is :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MB3kxY ... sp=sharing

Sorry, no video, I don't have any skills/tools for this and to be honest want to keep my (fairly new) machine clean from any unnecessary clutter. IF it comes to it I am sure we can work something out (screenshots or whatnot). I'd be more than happy to promote mix-challenge! :tu: