2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
EchoOread

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by EchoOread »

I got disqualified for not having 48k/24 bit wave file and inaccessible file. I bounced my file 48K/24 bit. Just bounced another one just to make sure, and Pro Tools said it was rendering 48K/24. Why did you not having the same file is still a mystery. I changed the link into "public" (it happened to me once before) and still it is not working. Help? Thanks.

Just tried another link just to see if it's working. Please let me know. Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vcX3rv ... sp=sharing

I also checked my wave file (from Itune) and it said 24 bit and 48K.
Last edited by EchoOread on Fri Jul 24, 2020 04:58 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The source material was 44/24, so the export should have been 44/24 and not 48/24.

You were not disqualified for a wrong sampling rate, but because of the inability to access your file.
The error message I still get from your link is:
Couldn't preview file.
Owner prevented downloads and playback of this audio file.

I am terribly sorry that this has happened. But please take another look regarding permission settings for Google Drive and double check with another browser (where you're not logged in!) in the future.
Edu Cesar

Post by Edu Cesar »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 03:54 CEST
Regarding "perfectionist edits", we had this topic a while ago and this sparked a new entry at the FAQs as well:

Rules and Guidelines - FAQ section
Which one? Just curious!

BTW, thank you for all the work and patience to go through all of the mixes!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

FAQ Q9 until FAQ Q11
RJR

Post by RJR »

White Punk OD wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 20:10 CEST
there were mixes that I liked a lot, like RJR sounded great, but it was practically mastered already.
Thanks! Indeed there was some basic mastering going on in my mix (saturation-compressor, EQ and limiter).
I think this is often appreciated by clients, since they also get an idea what the mix will sound like mastered.

My bad, next time I will post a mix within the loudness specs.

Cheers!
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

To me it looks, that we have nowadays two approaches:
A - the audience check mix for the band, which is slammed into some Ozone kind of thing with minimal tweaking, and for the producer and mastering there is the basic pristine mix without limiting.
In this category we have also famous sound producers and mixers, who work with the paradigm that mastering should not make any remarkable changes to the sound of the mix result, just make it a bit louder, correct small issues with spectrum, and add some density and clarity, so it's really the same just a bit better, and works on any listening device. To them it means, everything relevant has to be achieved within the respective mix tracks and stem buses.
B - half the flavor of the sound is created with effects on the stereo bus, and this includes a coloring impact from the limiter, as some limiters can be tweaked to deliver quite some color. It is probably a workflow where everything gets get done under one roof. Partially, it is also a genre thing.

Regarding to this, I had an internal version, that was based on slamming the limiter, but at least I knew what type of sound I wanted. Done that, I dropped the limiter and some other effect, and introduced the flavors incrementally, much deeper inside the mix, and tried to get a result that was as close as possible to the preliminary mix.
My quest was to get control over these matters, so to be able to fulfill specs and requirements also. Just saying, hope it worked.

There is a related issue, in that some mixes sound "over-processed". The above strategy that I used can help to mitigate that also. Process only those tracks that really need it, then be not shy, but let other tracks yield their best clarity and destroy nothing there. The Crunch git is an example, great recording with some room sound also, therefor only SSL G with typical EQ (very clear sounding plugin), and Townhouse on the instrument total bus.
Yves VDD

Post by Yves VDD »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 04:50 CEST
The source material was 44/24, so the export should have been 44/24 and not 48/24.

You were not disqualified for a wrong sampling rate, but because of the inability to access your file.
The error message I still get from your link is:
Couldn't preview file.
Owner prevented downloads and playback of this audio file.

I am terribly sorry that this has happened. But please take another look regarding permission settings for Google Drive and double check with another browser (where you're not logged in!) in the future.
But I was disqualified for wrong sample rate? Also 48/24...
Name was okay...?
I really don’t get it :/
I took down the file in the meanwhile though
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

@Yves VDD
Your entry was in 48/24 and not 44/24. The filename was not a criteria (for the time being, it isn't unless your mix can't be associated with your forum account), but it was still wrong with writing "LEAVE without you" instead of "me without you".

Thank you @White Punk OD for keeping up the feedback and conversation.
jeffssoloband

Post by jeffssoloband »

The moral of the story: learn from your mistakes, and move on.
javiramallo

Post by javiramallo »

jeffssoloband wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 16:59 CEST
The moral of the story: learn from your mistakes, and move on.
This.