2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
theenemyofaustria

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Submissions until 21-07-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by theenemyofaustria »

Hi yall.

For this mix i couldn't get enough punchy low end out of the kick mic so i used the trick where you sidechain gate a sub sine frequency off the kick. This really gave me the punch i needed :)

Here are the links

Daw set up:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MngH2g ... sp=sharing

The mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SI2TK_ ... sp=sharing
Franz

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Submissions until 21-07-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Franz »

Hi theenemyofaustria,

Tell me, really by chance, your mix wouldn't be "a little loud " at -9.0 LUFS ??
We are far from the -16 LUFS controlled and imposed by Mister Fox in a pocket handkerchief margin.

Franz
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Let me step in for a moment and welcome all new participants.

However, let me also point out that we have rules for a reason. We have well established Rules and Gudelines (now even easier to find at their dedicated Rule Books section) that clearly lay out what you should do, and what is not allowed. You knew these rules before you joined, as they are pointed out several times in the first two posts. Please don't just just drop by, create a mix and then call it a day.

Just a couple of pointers:
  • This is a pure mixing competition, not mixing and mastering
  • You must document your edits. Just saying "I've used DAW xyz" or only posting a screenshot from your arranger without any used plugins, or focusing on a specific plugin chain you would like to feature, just doesn't cut it. This community is about learning with and from each other. People can't do that by just by looking at screenshots of your main arranger view
  • Your entry is final. There is no "release so far", no editing until you're selected for Mix Round 2. If I catch you re-uploading your mix with "slight changes", you're disqualified
  • you don't need to upload both a WAV and MP3, the only requirement is WAV
  • the maximum allowed loudness for the competition is -16LUFS ILk with a maximum signal strength of -1dBTP (tolerances not included)
  • your files must be accessible without any special log in requirement

Thank you.
theenemyofaustria

Post by theenemyofaustria »

Franz wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 00:06 CEST
Hi theenemyofaustria,

Tell me, really by chance, your mix wouldn't be "a little loud " at -9.0 LUFS ??
We are far from the -16 LUFS controlled and imposed by Mister Fox in a pocket handkerchief margin.

Franz
Oops now I, feel really stupid that I didn't check my loudness :confused: I guess better luck next Time lol. Ah, well I acknowledge my mistake N will never forget to check my master fader again
guiZgui

Post by guiZgui »

Hi everyone ! ☺

Thank you again for providing us a great song to work on !

Here is my mix : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r9v6LP ... sp=sharing

For the mind set before mixing, I asked myself what directions I wanted for this song and the answer was more like a pop/ rock song with punchy drums

Drum sound :
I had to play with phase to get the low end right, at first it seems ok and when you start boosting low end on the kick drum then it sounds bad so you reverse phase again and low end comes back ☺

I used some non linear reverb (AMS reverb) on the drums, just a touch to make it wider and sounding like a room.
I used also some weird parallel distortion on the snare bottom and some gate to make it really tight, almost sounding like a drum machine

Bass sound :

Nothing crazy, it was already cutting pretty good, but I used a bit of chorus to have a little movement.
I finally added a parallel channel, keeping only the midrange and distorting it

Guitars :

Some cleaning EQ, and room reverb, spring reverb on the solo melody part

Pads, keys, rhodes :

Just leveling and very light eq on the rhodes

Vocals :
1176 comp, make it a little brighter with eq. Some parallel chorusing on the vocal group
I’ve pan some of the vocals hard left and hard right
For effects I used my non linear reverb for the room and another longer reverb like a plate which I sidechain compressed with the vocal group in order to get only the tail after the words

BGVS :

Only some leveling and panning and some 1176 compression to control the peaks

Master Channel:

I've used some light compression (-2db max peaks) with the 2500 Api comp and also some smily face eq with a pultec style eq

Cheers ! :)
Last edited by guiZgui on Fri Jul 10, 2020 01:36 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
TomImmon

Post by TomImmon »

guiZgui wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 14:06 CEST
Hi everyone ! ☺

You must provide a public google drive link. It's private at the moment!
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

I noticed that there are elements in the rough mix that aren't present in the files given (like the countermelody in the chorus) - I assume all parties involved in this challenge are aware, but I wanted to point it out just in case!
guiZgui

Post by guiZgui »

Thank you for noticing ! I thought it was alright but I had to check some options to make it public
But I don't understand there is an issue when we want to play it , it's possible to download though
TomImmon wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 14:16 CEST
guiZgui wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 14:06 CEST
Hi everyone ! ☺

You must provide a public google drive link. It's private at the moment!
chriskamery

Post by chriskamery »

Hello!

I really dig this song and had a lot of fun mixing it.

Wav: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWoEB4 ... sp=sharing

Screenshots: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aRpjEC ... sp=sharing

Heres what I did:

DAW ProTools

Drums:

Kick: Blended the in and out, a little EQ and compression
Snare: Blend of top and bottom with different compression on each. then run through VEQ4 to add a little 3.9K. Then into a short plate reverb
Toms: EQ and panning
OH: EQ to remove the low end and a subtle limiter because I was finding some spike here and there to tame.

Bass: Compressor Side Chained from the Kick and I wanted to try out Bass Rider from Waves to see how well it does gain automation

Guitar: Panning and levels, Crunch 1 and 2 got my main attention with some eq and compression. Also delayed the right side 20ms for a Haas effect. A small amount of Vcomp on the guitar bus just to add some glue

Keys / pads: Levels, that was it as I like how they came in and out

Lead Vocal: Waves tune, SSL Channel for EQ and character, CLA-2A, Multiband split with R-comp to just add a little air above 4K, Split to a parallel of Abbey Road Plates and Reel Adt, Rvox to bring that back together, and a Vocal rider to smooth it all out. Then the Abbey road saturator to finish. Also fed to a long reverb Aux

Reverbs and delays on the BG and Soft Vocals. Ahhs were left alone.

Reverb Aux with Raum on the cosmic setting and some post EQ

Delay: H-delay using a vocal slap preset.

Master: S1 Imager, SSL G-Master Buss Compressor. Almost no compression here, just a bit of character. Abbey Road TG Mastering Suite because I heard a frequency I didnt like and wanted the EQ and the color of the tape equalizer. Youlean Loudness meter 2, so I know where my Lufs and true peak stand.

I use Waves NX when mixing on headphones since it has a curve built in for my sony headphones. This gets buypassed for the bounce. (Yes I have stopped a few bounces because I forgot to bypass in the past)

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Thanks

Chris