2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

Pity that I won't go into Round 2 this time around. But hey - I'm not mad. I had a ton of fun regardless. No special exceptions for the host, even if I did a great job. :tu:

Just for clarification though:
Jorgeelalto wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 17:31 CEST
Mister Fox: Creative with some SFX and the pads (I like the pumping in the slow part). The filter automation of the bass does some abrupt jumps that seem not to be aligned with any grid that... sound strange. Overall great sounding mix, nonetheless.
May I ask which of the bass we're talking about?
Is is the Sub-Bass, the UK Bass or are you talking about what I called "the Wobble Synth"? :hmmm:

In case of the latter, the filter movements are all in sync except for FX Pansion Etch - I think that runs a bit out of sync, and only for the higher frequency register. I wanted some movement with Flanging and ETCH is doing some subtle auto-panning.

The Sub-Bass and the UK Bass on the other hand is side-chain triggered by the kick. Everything should be synced. Could be a render issue?

What I find a bit jumpy, is the filter movement at the beginning of the song. I first open up the LPF and then drive it back down again in short fashion. I liked that effect to get really hyped for the rest of the track (in fact, I had to hold myself back to copy a crash there), but I realized that it results in some jumpy behavior. At least it was in the last 20min I edited the ending section (turn off bypass, suddenly some frequencies dropped - took me a while to fix that).

FX wise (swooshes and the likes), I only randomly added "pumping effects" to two (I think) long swooshes (one of them also has a panning modulaton), and a healthy boost of LF for the bass drop/explosion. Nothing special, but still effective.

Could you please go a bit more in-depth what to look out for, should I really do an off-the-record Mix Round 2 edit?
Or should I rather "copy" something from other participants? (I have to admit, I didn't listen to the submissions - but part of the Mix Challenge is a learning process, so there you go...)

OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 17:05 CEST
There are no set guidelines for that (yet). But it might be worth trying something new with the "current place":
http://www.mix-challenge.com/forum/view ... p?f=8&t=17

Hey, thanks for taking it in consideration. Thinking twice, I really don't want to break the flow of the competition, much less when I'm new here. Having a separate category for after-deadline submissions could probably cause more problems than benefits.
You, know, if it ain't broken, don't fix it, or something like that. I'll keep this one for myself and hop on the next one.

Congrats to those who made it to the 2nd round :smile:
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi Fox, here you go with a really short post. I've had a busy week, luckily I could resolve the Round 1 evaluation but I've been disconnected since then.
Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 23:08 CEST
May I ask which of the bass we're talking about?
Yes, it's the Wobble bass.
Mister Fox wrote:
In case of the latter, the filter movements are all in sync except for FX Pansion Etch - I think that runs a bit out of sync, and only for the higher frequency register. I wanted some movement with Flanging and ETCH is doing some subtle auto-panning.
Yeah, that may be the thing. I've noticed it on the high frequencies of the wobble synth/bass.

Mister Fox wrote:
What I find a bit jumpy, is the filter movement at the beginning of the song. I first open up the LPF and then drive it back down again in short fashion. I liked that effect to get really hyped for the rest of the track (in fact, I had to hold myself back to copy a crash there), but I realized that it results in some jumpy behavior. At least it was in the last 20min I edited the ending section (turn off bypass, suddenly some frequencies dropped - took me a while to fix that).
I didn't noticed anything there, looks OK to me, but I'll listen again :D
Mister Fox wrote:
Could you please go a bit more in-depth what to look out for, should I really do an off-the-record Mix Round 2 edit?
Or should I rather "copy" something from other participants? (I have to admit, I didn't listen to the submissions - but part of the Mix Challenge is a learning process, so there you go...)
You're welcome to do the off-the-record R2 edit from my part, I'll find some free time to review it again if you want.

Sorry for the late reply,

Jorge
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The following post is also a reminder for all participants, that Mix Round 2 has 3 days left (including today).

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:27 CEST
Hi Fox, here you go with a really short post. I've had a busy week, luckily I could resolve the Round 1 evaluation but I've been disconnected since then.
You got to it eventually, so it's fine. :tu:

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:27 CEST
Yes, it's the Wobble bass.

Yeah, that may be the thing. I've noticed it on the high frequencies of the wobble synth/bass.
I think the explanation is simple:
The LFO's are not synced to result in more movement of the sound, which can create an offset drift for sure. On top of that, ETCH does a panning modulation (highest frequency register) that goes 20 ticks outward, then back inward I think this is what's throwing you off. Else, I can't do much about the Flanger and the LFO>LPF combo.

I understand that you expected a more "vintage DnB" type sound than a modern, aggressive one which I went for. But the blend was really not that easy IMO (and I ran out of time!). I hope the overall sound design was interesting however (seems to be the case though, else there would be more "please change this/that" commentary after the 6+ hours I put into that section alone - but I just didn't make it among the top 5 - that simple!). For example the "cricket sample" was modulated in a way that it worked better overall rather than a rattle snake ever so often.

I'm not happy with the bass, so I'll definitely revisit that. It's hard to keep a clean sub sine that is also noticeable on small speakers without distorting it - which in turn then clashes with the modulated synths and pads.

Don't know if I'll make it until the end of the 2nd Mix Round though. I've got a lot of BTS work to do still.
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

First of all, thanks for including me in Round Two!
Jorgeelalto wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 17:31 CEST
davemcisaac: You've modeled the kick and the snare in a way I really love, this mix sounds really powerful and balanced. You've been creative with some effects and SFX, and I like that! The reverb of the snare sounds a bit out of place, though, in the slow melodic part, although it sounds great when the bass enters.
I can surely tame the reverb on the snare in the slow melodic part - if you can be more specific as to what you are calling the "slow melodic part". We all have our own way of describing things :grin:
davemcisaac: A bit of room for improvement in the creative section too!

Jorge
It would be a great help if you could clarify what you mean by "a bit of improvement in the creative section". :confused:
Photonic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 01-05-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Photonic »

Hi Jorge,

Thank you so much for taking me for round 2.

I think I did not recognize that this distorted tech growls should be a bass sound. For me it was more a lead, so I reduced the bass.
Now I copied the original tracks for this sound and took a low pass filter so that this copy is only for the low frequencies. Because in the lows I do not want the delays and they need some sidechaning of the sub bass, so that they do not fight too much against eachother.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5038wzh90137y ... 2.mp3?dl=0
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oj6ilexvbdzou ... 2.wav?dl=0
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi dave!
davemcisaac wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 22:12 CEST
I can surely tame the reverb on the snare in the slow melodic part - if you can be more specific as to what you are calling the "slow melodic part". We all have our own way of describing things
Well, the part that starts at 2:54 is the part I was referring to :tu:
davemcisaac wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 22:12 CEST
It would be a great help if you could clarify what you mean by "a bit of improvement in the creative section".
For sure. Don't be afraid in the use of modulator effects and being a bit more creative with the mix. I'm not talking about adding 5 more automations to each track, but a bit of movement here and there (like other participants did)... :grin:

I'm happily waiting to hear what you guys come up with! :smile:

Jorge
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 01-05-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A(n early) friendly reminder:
24 hours left to overhaul and submit your edit for Mix Round 2
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

Jorge,
I toned down the gated reverb in the "slow melodic part" without losing my initial intention - I hope it's enough for you.
And I added a considerable amount of movement throughout. Hopefully, this will be more to your liking. :grin:
Good luck to everybody else!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yclc8kq29qw5a ... x.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdd5hz33s9v85 ... x.wav?dl=0
VasDim

Post by VasDim »

Hi all,
this is my attempt to mix on round 2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vrfxrha2rhyc ... 2.mp3?dl=0
Good luck to all.
VasDim