2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC073 February 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC073 February 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

stefanos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 17:48 CET
When i partitipate in the competition i didnt know really the rules , so yes thats my mistake.
I will not change the way i mix because of some rules.
You are an engeneer as i am so i guess u understand ballance.So really tell me if u ballance a song with no dynamics right will you have dynamic range?
Okay stop - seriously... please stop and take a step back!

You are mixing up "dynamics" (as in compression, transient shaping, gain riding), "Dynamic Range" of a song (DR-Value), and "perceived loudness"/"target loudness" (LUFS ILk). Three completely different things.

The Mix(ing) Challenge allows you treat, filter and compress signals/limit their dynamic range (bass being a prime example, or vocals) as you seem fit. This is an artistic decision. The end product is important, and you can get there without pushing the "target loudness" to a square wave. This is what you call "(mix) balance".

The "Dynamic Range" of a song is measured between average signal strength (Loudness) and maximum signal strength (dBTP max). The higher the range, the more "dynamic" a track is, the more punchy and "alive" it can sound. This is highly genre dependent though, and could fill pages in books.

The "Integrated Loudness" is how loud the whole mix (from start to finish) actually is, while retaining all dynamics, transients and volume rides of individual signals you've set up. "Limiting" the mix to -16LUFS ILk, or rather setting the loudness to this "target value", results in a larger and more healthy dynamic range (or DR-Value) overall, and non-castrated/damaged transients. The production can be just as "punchy" (perceived), but it still has it's transients, will be a whole less ear fatiguing and better to handle down-stream (possible mastering, integrating into videos, broadcasting, radio, release on tape or vinyl, etc). Recommended video watch: "Matt Mayfield Music - The Loudness War" (2006), which explains this visually in less than 2 minutes.

:arrow: The Mix(ing) Challenge does not ask you to change your mixing style (aside from: no drum sample triggering/drum shell replacement allowed, and treat your summing bus artistically). In fact, it does the complete opposite: it asks you to shine with your skills, maybe try something new in the process. Teach and learn by just participating, experiment, adapt, upgrade your skill-set.

The only person that is currently confusing things, and saying "misconception all those novice guys have", is you. If you ignore established Rules and Guidelines, that is your prerogative. But then the off-comments aren't fair.
eusonic_studio

Post by eusonic_studio »

Sorry Mister Fox, but the winners of the Round 1 of this mix challenge? i didn't see the post indicating that
m_tree

Post by m_tree »

eusonic_studio wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 18:54 CET
Sorry Mister Fox, but the winners of the Round 1 of this mix challenge? i didn't see the post indicating that
Quote of "Rules and Guidelines":

after 1st Mix Round: evaluation by the client (ideal maximum time frame: 14 days, considering 50+ entries)

Just for the record ... ;)
stefanos

Post by stefanos »

The end product is important, and you can get there without pushing the "target loudness" to a square wave. This is what you call "(mix) balance".

really??hahahha ok man tell what u whant u think my mix is a squer wave? if u really think that there is probably a problem there.
m_tree

Post by m_tree »

Uff, I shouldn't read along anymore here ... :roll: :bang:
Last edited by m_tree on Wed Feb 24, 2021 19:29 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Dwic

Post by Dwic »

Very disappointed Mister Fox. Very disappointed.
Ollio

Post by Ollio »

stefanos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 19:04 CET
The end product is important, and you can get there without pushing the "target loudness" to a square wave. This is what you call "(mix) balance".

really??hahahha ok man tell what u whant u think my mix is a squer wave? if u really think that there is probably a problem there.
He didn't say that, however you implied that your mix wasn't in the target parameters because you didn't compress. We're saying you don't have to, just check your values and adjust your master fader or individual faders appropriately. If you don't mix against compression, it shouldn't have any other effect your sound except keeping it in the target loudness values.
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

stefanos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 14:52 CET
I am not in a learning procces of mixing, not in that level, i know exactly how loud was the track, true pick can be adjasted by the mastering engeneer lol bring that master down..
Anyway when we talck about loudness is not true pick is about overall dynamics and the dynamics was there, you need to know how to eq to make things "seem" loud and stand out bat that doesnt mean dynamics.
Really i am not pissed of about the dissqualify i am kind of disapoinrted by the way of thinking.And lastly a food for thought for novice mixers.
Please, show more humbleness and avoid laugh at a valid comment that you obviously didn't understand. :nutter:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay stop!
Everyone - just stop!

Dwic wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 19:10 CET
Very disappointed Mister Fox. Very disappointed.
Why are you disappointed? Because your entry clocked in at -15,5LUFS and is even out of the 0,3LU (to up to -15,7LUFS) tolerance? (mentioned in the Statistic Sheet only! The rules state a value of -16,0 LUFS ILK absolute max). Or am I not doing enough as host/admin?

stefanos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 19:04 CET
No!

The problem here is the lack of (your) understanding, ignoring rule sets, then mixing up technical terms and then try to state "I didn't do anything wrong, you are all wrong" and "these rules are bonkers" and "I don't care for this competition".

I told you to stop, you've kept on going.

FINAL WARNING FOR EVERYONE!

⚠ Warning Message from Mister Fox  
We have well established rules, you all agreed to them, I am enforcing them as both admin and host. This has been going on long enough, and this particular discussion is happening every single month. I am constantly repeating myself, I am sick of it.

The Mix Challenge is a free (not pay-walled!) and open place for everyone. It is to have fun, it offers a certain form education.
But in order for this to work, we need a common ground.

The next time somebody posts and tries to throw a punch below the waistline, that person will be suspended for 72 hours - doesn't matter if you're in Mix Round 2 or not. If it's happening again, permanent ban! Remember - this place is run by one person, at the highest quality that I can offer you. I am open minded, I am more than lenient and kind sometimes (see December). But my patience is super low if people go against each other. And if insults fly, I am not hesitating to kick - you - out.

If you don't like that, and you want to leave the community - drop me a PM or a mail and I will disable/delete your account.

Don't force me to lock the thread and clean up! :angry:
I would really do something else right now, like setting up MC074.