2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Dwic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 05-APR-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Dwic »

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Here's my 2nd round submission:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H5hpj5 ... sp=sharing
DimitrisPalantzas

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 05-APR-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by DimitrisPalantzas »

ok, so here's my round 2 mix based on the feedback points.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kb5mkH ... sp=sharing

(hat starting at 0:15 is a little to loud, bass is to quiet before 0:55 and to loud after 0:55, transition at 1:35 and drums after are good, off pitch bass note before 1:35 needs to be off pitch, after 2:50 transition ticking sound in left channel is to loud, transition at 3:20 could have more of an isolated feel, vocals at 3:25 sound like they are to much in a tunnel, shakers after 3:50 are to loud. Nice job overall.)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 06th April 2021, 6:00 (UTC+2) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (@Toxic Shot Dot didn't use the given chance to go more in-depth and adjust the mix)
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final feedback and results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:
And please also join the two currently running mini surveys - thanks in advance.

See you on the flipside.
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Hey guys, I'm working through the round 2 submissions, I hope to have something by late this week.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Here is feedback for the top 5 in alphabetical order, lets do one last round to get down to the top 3:

Christoph_K:
Good mix overall. Some notes on changes. Right before the transition at 0:42 maybe bring the noise sweep down in volume, it needs to be bit more subtle there. The bass part that comes in at 0:54 needs to be a bit louder to fill out the bottom end a bit more. The synth part that comes in at 1:23 needs to be a bit louder, not a lot though, maybe try 2db louder. Drum loop that comes in at 1:37 and again at 3:50 feel to distant and don’t hit quite hard enough. Synth lead part that starts at about 1:53 is to quiet and lost in the background.

Dadomachado:
Mix feels a bit narrow overall, it needs to a more open feel, I think in the beginning there might not be enough in the lower frequency ranges. Nice transition at 0:42, it blends really nicely there. Vocal at 1:33 is to quiet and the noise sweeps going into the transition at 1:37 are to loud compared to the rest of the section before 1:37 which feels a bit quiet. Drums that come in at 1:37 feel just a little bit dull, not sure if that’s eq or compression. Synth lead part that starts at about 1:53 is to quiet by the time that part gets to around 1:58-2:02 is needs to be prominent enough to have a soaring feeling.

Dnlptn:
Overal mix feels just a little bit muddy and narrow. Noise sweep into the transition at 0:42 is to loud. Mix feels pushed to the left speaker after the transition at 1:09, there needs to be a bit more mid to high mids on the right to balance it out a little better. Drums feel a bit lost in the background after 1:37, they need to be more upfront and hit harder. Synth lead part that starts at about 1:53 is to quiet by the time that part gets to around 1:58-2:02 is needs to be prominent enough to have a soaring feeling. Vocals after 2:26 feel a bit loud but if the drums are hitting harder they probably would be fine so more of a balance issue. The “maintain the glow” vocal at 3:08 feels really muddy and doesn’t quite fit into the track from a frequency balance perspective. The effect on the drums after 3:50 is a bit to much. The effect might work but its to much as is.

Elroms:
Mix feels a bit narrow, it should feel wider and more open. The low end could be more prominent around 0:28. Transition at 0:42 is well blended. The transition at 1:37 falls apart a little bit right in the last ½ bar before the change, its close just not quite right. Drums need to hit a bit harder after 1:37 and again after 3:50. Synth lead part that starts at about 1:53 is to quiet by the time that part gets to around 1:58-2:02 is needs to be prominent enough to have a soaring feeling. Vocals in the section after 2:26 feel a bit dry.

Maxovrdrive:
Sounds pretty good all the way up to the transition at 1:37. Maybe turn up the bass line that comes in at 0:55 just a little bit, 1 or 2 db. After 1:37 the drums feel to distant, they should be more upfront, same issue starting at 3:50. Vocal effects after 2:22 don’t quite work but the effects are good in the section starting at 3:22.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
dnlptn

Post by dnlptn »

Thank you @Dodgingrain for the feedback and for selecting my mix for Round 3!

If you don't mind, could you explain what you think might be causing the overall muddiness in the mix issue?
I've been trying to figure this out but I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing. Appreciate feedback from anyone.

Cheers,
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

"Mix Round 3" is unprecedented - the Rule Set is not made for that, which is why I've reached out to the Song Provider to get some things cleared first. Please take the feedback, you can already work on your mix even. But please don't post anything yet before I make things "official".

Thank you.

:phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 3 until 27-04-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Well, this is unprecedented on our community. I've tried to reach out to @Dodgingrain through PM and mail, but I didn't get any response. So I am making an executive decision.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off our very first Mix Round 3, which will end on Tuesday, 27-APR-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

As of this moment, that is a bit more than 5 days. After that, there will be no more mix rounds (this is an exception).

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines -- but it will only show Mix Round 2 (as I've never set up a system for that).
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 5 participants go into Round 3 (alphabetical order)
(all Mix Round 3 participants should have been pinged)

@Christoph_K
@dadomachado
@dnlptn
@elroms
@maxovrdrive

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=10291#p10291

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.
Christoph_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 3 until 27-04-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Christoph_K »

There you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/polhuhiabvaek ... 3.wav?dl=0
Right before the transition at 0:42 maybe bring the noise sweep down in volume, it needs to be bit more subtle there.
- lowered by 2db
The bass part that comes in at 0:54 needs to be a bit louder to fill out the bottom end a bit more.
- pulled it up by 2db. I had pulled it down before because I didn’t like the interference between the two bass tracks. It sounded a bit too muddy but now it has more bottom end in that part.
The synth part that comes in at 1:23 needs to be a bit louder, not a lot though, maybe try 2db louder.
- pulled up by 2db
Drum loop that comes in at 1:37 and again at 3:50 feel to distant and don’t hit quite hard enough.
- dialed in more parallel compression
- added even slightly more punch with a transient designer
- got rid of the plate reverb totally
I have to say that getting the drums hitting that hard comes with a little trade off because you make them pumping more. Personally I don’t like that so much in this case, but it can also be a matter of taste.
Synth lead part that starts at about 1:53 is to quiet and lost in the background.
- There was a synth part, yes. I pulled it up by 7db :)

Cheers!
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Client Revisions for R3:

R3 Submission: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1itwROE ... sp=sharing
Sounds pretty good all the way up to the transition at 1:37.
Great, thank you. I really like the movement I was able to achieve.
Maybe turn up the bass line that comes in at 0:55 just a little bit, 1 or 2 dB.
Adjusted the automation of the particular bass track at the time marked and onwards to match drums brought up-front
After 1:37 the drums feel to distant, they should be more upfront, same issue starting at 3:50.
Adjusted Transient Designer to add more attack, bringing them upfront.
Vocal effects after 2:22 don't quite work but the effects are good in the section starting at 3:22.
Automated vocal delay down during "Harmony" parts