2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
elroms

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 3 until 27-04-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by elroms »

Thanks again for the feedback, here my mix for the final round : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kfz1-9 ... sp=sharing
Mix feels a bit narrow, it should feel wider and more open.
I had restrained a bit the stereo range of the lead synth to make it more mono compatible, finally I undid that for its frequencies higher than 500 Hz, so it feels pretty wide now. I also panned the " I tried" parts a bit more to the side (20L, 20R)
To give that overall wide feeling I applied a bit of pseudo stereo to the whole instrumental melodic group, for frequencies above 300 Hz
The low end could be more prominent around 0:28.
I pulled up the track 54 Instrument - A (31) by 2 dB
Transition at 0:42 is well blended.
Nice, thank you!
The transition at 1:37 falls apart a little bit right in the last ½ bar before the change, its close just not quite right.
I changed the volume automation of the lead synth so that it goes up quicker and thus doesn't fall apart just before the change
Drums need to hit a bit harder after 1:37 and again after 3:50.
I added a transient designer and raised the volume by 1 more dB
Synth lead part that starts at about 1:53 is to quiet by the time that part gets to around 1:58-2:02 is needs to be prominent enough to have a soaring feeling.
I raised it by 2dB. I hope it's ok like that, I didn't like it much louder
Vocals in the section after 2:26 feel a bit dry.
Added a delay to both the harmonic and the "I try" voices
dnlptn

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 3 until 27-04-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by dnlptn »

Thanks again for the feedback, here is my round 3 mix!

Drive Link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1WTsz ... sp=sharing

Added parallel comp to the drums (Devil Loc), added back lower mids
Lowered vocal volume, increased the reverbs, some slight boosts in the lower mids
Did a gentle wide cut ~270hz on the synth bus
Boosted the upper mids for the Dark Sun instrument to counter the sound leaning to the left side
Lowered the noise effect
Reduced the drum effect at the end
Low cut on the vocal effect

Decided to add to the mix-bus (Ampex ATR, bx townhouse compressor).

Good luck all!
dadomachado

Post by dadomachado »

Hi All,

Very happy here to have made it into Round 3 !!! Thanks for the feedback so far. Follows my revision 3:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Crzong ... sp=sharing

- Mix feels a bit narrow overall, it needs to a more open feel
I've worked on the panning of some track to make it fell wider

- I think in the beginning there might not be enough in the lower frequency ranges
Gave a boost at the low frequencies. Fells much better now.

- Nice transition at 0:42, it blends really nicely there.
Cool !!!

- Vocal at 1:33 is to quiet and the noise sweeps going into the transition at 1:37 are to loud compared to the rest of the section before 1:37 which feels a bit quiet
Raised a coupkle DBs on the vocal and lowered the noise sweep.

- Drums that come in at 1:37 feel just a little bit dull, not sure if that’s eq or compression
Did some work on the EQ to make it a little brighter.

- Synth lead part that starts at about 1:53 is to quiet by the time that part gets to around 1:58-2:02 is needs to be prominent enough to have a soaring feeling
Added some automation to raise the volume until 1:58-2:02

Good luck to all participants on this last round !!!

Cheers,
dadomachado
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 3 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 27th April 2021, 3:25 (UTC+2) - technically we're still in the final 24 hours, but all entries have already been sent in.
The 3rd Mix Round has officially ended.

Everyone has sent in an edit
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final feedback and results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:
And please also join the two currently running mini surveys - thanks in advance.

See you on the flipside.
Dodgingrain

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 3 in evaluation

Post by Dodgingrain »

Hey guys here are my top 3 in order. Thanks to Mister Fox and everyone for their participation! This was much harder to judge than I expected and almost every mix has something that it does better than many of the others. spots 2 and 3 were difficult to decide on.

1st: Christoph_K: This one felt more open to me than the other mixes.
2nd: Elroms
3rd: Maxoverdrive

See you in the next one :phones:
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
Apologies for the late response.

The Winners Podium is
1) @Christoph_K
2) @elroms
3) @maxovrdrive

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

Please don't forget the Songwriting Competition - which needs as much love as the Mix(ing) Challenge.

See you on the flipside.
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

Thanks @Dodgingrain for picking my mix! That's a good start into the week ;)

Congrats to @elroms and @maxovrdrive! I'm sure it wasn't easy to pick the sequence for the winning mixes this time...

@Mister Fox: I'll pick Metric Halo Character.

See you in the next challenge :phones:

- Chris
Last edited by Christoph_K on Tue May 04, 2021 14:16 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
elroms

Post by elroms »

Hey! Really glad to have made it to the podium, congrats to the other participants!

I'll pick the NOS Roomer

See you soon!
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Congratulations to @Christoph_K and @elroms. Cheers!

Thank you once again to @Dodgingrain for the song, @Mister Fox for running the games.

I choose not to pick a prize/plugin.
Tapwater

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Submissions until 21-03-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Tapwater »

Thanks! Too bad I was disqualified. I guess my meters are slightly different from the ones used to qualify the mixes. Oh well.
DimitrisPalantzas wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 CET
Tapwater wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 18:45 CET
Hello All,

Drums: Did quite a bit of eq here to remove some of the ringing. Also did some parallel compression for impact.

Bass: Side chained to the kick for clearity and some multi and compression for consistency.

Synths: A lot of fun sounds to work with here. Did a lot of eq and some automation to help with the transitions.

Guitars: Tried to give them their own space with some eq and a bit of phasing effects for movement.

Vocals: Added lots of delay/reverb to keep it in the spacy realm.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LDVdx ... p=drivesdk
Great job! ..so full sounding. I wanted to say that I listened to all of the mixes and this one is my personal favouriite.