2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Los_ady

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Los_ady »

Great choice @CeZar ! Man @PistolPete thanks so much, means a lot to me!!!! When you had a good time means that we had a successful Mix Challenge :)
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Post by White Punk OD »

If anyone is interested...
@Los_ady is it allowed, else I will delete.

https://youtu.be/KBS8vzgXHMI (this is unlisted) turn it loud hehe... :phones:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jOmpp ... sp=sharing 48k render!
I tweaked my mix a little bit, and added the bus exciters and limiting the way the mix was designed for.
Still leaving some dynamics and openness.
I hope people might like this little crossover flavor that I tried to introduce.

Congrats to the winners, with Kirurg I like especially the drums and the brass.
After some time has passed, my subjectively, personal preferrence would be perhaps ozgensabuncu. Great Rap support vocals.
The great thing with CeZar is mix being very dense and steamy, and smart and nice effects, and beautiful instrumental part.

But for the discussion, I still believe the timing of the piano is a serious issue, and I can also hear it in Kirurg's mix. ozgensabuncu did correct it.
I actually did correct it for my mix, otherwise the added sound effects would not have worked at all.
It really helps the groove, so I thought for comparison I put it on once more, as a voluntary revision.
My other critique is the plastic sounding kick beater. It is almost everywhere. Am I the only one who thinks it is distracting?

Ady, what do you think?
A hypothesis of mine is, that the playing and arrangement have to carry the quality of the sound, and not otherwise, therefor my choice for an oldschool approach. Somehow, I feel not really convinced with the HQ modern sound scape that some of the fellows have presented.
So, for a mixing contest, we can focus on brilliant execution of the sound in a modern way, or focus entirely on the impact of the song, may it sound as dirty as it takes.

After working on the song, I can see how the original mix is also practically the best solution, but for the instrumental finale, honestly I love the way my mix came out, especially the guitar solo.
To me it was one of the most interesting challenge episodes.