2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
javiramallo

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by javiramallo »

Hey Los_Ady, really thanks for the effort.

Congratulations to the 12 R2' partners. Great Job no doubts.

by the way, , the feedbacks doc seems to be not accessible.

Cheers!
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

Thanks for the feedback and the inputs, @Los_ady ! :smile: :love:
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Thanks Ady, congrats to the R2 candidates.

To return the favor of feedback,

yeah I did the old school thing plus a little bit of classic Afrobeat sounds including brass.
Because in my view, this is who they really are, and please they should be proud of it, there is so much real power in this, think of all the history in the Black movements, that now have renaissance in Africa herself, listening to speeches by the 60ies Black intellectuals.
According to the lyrics, we have Christians joining Muslims in the spirit of love, and focus on the Sahara people, but also we remember how Eminem wanted to join the Black community and eventually was accepted to the greater part (which I think today would not even be possible, and it was a massive success also in terms of peace, while today perhaps framed as cultural appropriation) so all together this is the gist of old school.
Due to the achievements, it is never outdated, except when hatred wins. (and frames everything that once was good, as bad.)
Good achievements have to be shared much more.

Technically, there are much more modern and clean mixes here, kudos to that.
But I feel, the tech precision is opening up a space, that is not being filled by the content, performances, and arrangement especially with the electronic sounds aka keyboards. So that's what I wanted to show to the forum. (Added nothing but LFO filter multi-effects)

To me, this is a major issue when the purpose perhaps is widening the audience on global scale.
There is so much new, very emotional "low-fi" and vintage sound now again, becoming very successful, eg. in Asia or Great Britain.
It is because of concept, performance, vocal and charisma, all works so tightly together. Then, you can do just anything, tech-wise.

OTOH, the modern hitech productions are highly supported by extremely complex electronic production, like the producing brother of Billie Eilish uses a myriad of samples he collected with his mic on the streets, in the forest, in the factory, on the boat, whatever, and weaves that together in the most skillful and expressionist ways. And it harmonizes with the vocals a 100 percent, or adds the best possible contrast.

In what way and form of expression are all the different listeners all over the world feeling "charisma" in a song?
Because the lyrics and the performers definitely have that. This is "church".
Supportive sound scape and playing has to be directed by that, and nothing else.
( posting #81 )
Promissel

Post by Promissel »

Hi Los_Ady, thank you so much, your feedback is much appreciated. Just a quick clarification, do I need to delete reversed guitar fx from the final mix or shall I keep it? And when is the deadline for submission? The rest is all clear, I'll get to work.
Thanks again and a good day!
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

@Los_ady

Not contesting anything here, but just wondering: why is my mix not even in the feedback spreadsheet?

Was it taken in consideration?

Later Edit: Apparently I've cleaned up my dropbox and accidentally deleted it while doing so this last weekend. I had the impression that it has already been downloaded.

Here's the mix here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hkpuz98nc987 ... r.wav?dl=0

@Mister Fox can check if it's identical to the one he analysed in the initial Statistics Sheet, or, better off, he can probably send you the original file so that there's no suspicion of re-submission.

It would have been nice if I would have been notified about this, I had the impression that the file was already downloaded since it was in the statistics sheet as "within parameters".

Thanks,
Cezar
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @Los_ady

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Sunday, 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

As of this moment, that is a bit more than 5 days. All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail shortly.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 14 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out (if present this month).
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged -- updated: 12-AUG-2021)

@AndyM
@CaptainBink (Wild Card option -- because wrong bitrate)
@CeZar
@ciaranchrisoshea
@GUSWIS
@Jerze
@kirurg (check in with the spreadsheet for desired changes, as arrangement was altered)
@LughSenderson
@Mork
@Ozgen Sabuncu
@Promissel (check in with the spreadsheet for desired changes, as arrangement was altered)
@rvalle
@s&f (s&f -- no Wild Card option as mentioned above, but please do not submit MP3!)
@UHLS
 ! Bonus Info
If you want to read up more about the "wild card" game mechanic, please do so here (test run until AUG-2021):
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=452

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=11117#p11117

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines (post #6) in mind regarding submitting your entry.
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

CeZar wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 22:54 CEST
@Los_ady

Not contesting anything here, but just wondering: why is my mix not even in the feedback spreadsheet?
Same for me, can’t find my name in the spreadsheet. Some feedback here or via PM would be cool.
Los_ady

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Los_ady »

@CeZar @Mork thank you guys for letting me know, please accept my apologies.

Sometimes it happened that I wrote feedback and it wasn't saved due to my internet connection, ouch - if I really forgot you guys, I'll make the evaluation right now, write feedback, and when it's a killer mix you go of course to the next round!

Hear you soon!
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by White Punk OD »

Hello @Mork, I think your version is very clean and balanced, but consequently also a bit "neutral".
The drum transition before 2:00 sounds muffled, did some effect drop out?
One thing about the sequence of sound scapes among the song parts: Brass is louder and brighter/thicker than chorus vocals.
I think it is important to make the mix "video compatible", more cinema, because of the material (landscapes, water, mountain street, kids...).
Seems we have a somewhat similar perception :cool: , both filtered out the plastic sounding kick beater, but many fellows did not, including the original video mix.

--- on another note
This is Rap / RNB from Eastern Europe.
I became aware after the fact, that my mix was influenced a tiny bit by this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVhhRdGCJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCRWaxtyNr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdJpq61u1yQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwz5hrUzEJo
Beja

Post by Beja »

Thanks Los_ady for kindly providing the mix.

This is a production that I have really enjoyed mixing.

Also for all the effort of listening to all the mixes one by one and giving the comments. They help us grow !!!

Greetings and good luck to all the participants for R2.