2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Jerze

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Jerze »

Thanks for the song to mix and the feedback.

Went through the mix adjusted the low end along with some EQing on some of the tracks. I readjusted Ayoubs vocal track low volume issue along with compressing it. I put a graphic EQ on lead GT track to adjust a few freq. Added some top end. Last thing was the Transitions, adjusted the Izotope mechanical FX added a phaser to give it a little movement.

R-2 mix 44/24 wav

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut196mmfxk6u9 ... 2.wav?dl=0

Thanks again Jerze!
LughSenderson

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by LughSenderson »

Hello everybody.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I tried to emphasize the lower end a bit more without changing the first mix too much. I believe this changed the perspective of the cymbals. I hope you enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SvZ27Y ... sp=sharing
Ozgen Sabuncu

Post by Ozgen Sabuncu »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TcQ1F_ ... sp=sharing

Thanks for critics. I try to make your suggestions. And fix some errors when i heard it, further listening of the first round submission. Like making bass more audible.
Promissel

Post by Promissel »

Hi, thanks again for the feedback. Here is my mix for Round 2 after addressing all the comments:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s-rgsg ... sp=sharing

To bring the solo guitar upfront towards the end of the song I used high shelf eq rather than plain volume, and I blended in a little bit of high gain guitar in places to give it more of a rock solo vibe.
To make the winds sound "majestic" I added some pitched up reverb and I created a few copies of the track, pitched one up an octave and created some harmonies from the other one using Nectar.
I blended the high pitched one carefully but louder each time the horns play so they sound more triumphant as the song progresses. And I tuck in the harmonies sparingly. I actually did a similar trick with the chorus vocals.

Cheers!
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

Hello.

Here's my R2 version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zt1thi ... sp=sharing

In the drums, I figured out that the reason for the harshness on the hats was the hard compression on the parallel comp bus. Even with just a little of love from this parallel bus into the mix, highs became too loud, mostly on the crashes. So, I put an EQ and cut the highs on that channel.

I better treated the low end too. On round 1, the kick was a bit strong. A soft bell cut at 160hz on the bass channel for cleanness.

Rebalanced vocals volumes.

To increase the dynamics between verse and chorus parts, I automated the parallel comp send on the drum bus channel to bring more power at the choruses. I also doubled the rythym gtr, only at choruses, and put some effect with NI Guitar Rig.

Thanks again and good luck to all fellow mixers.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 16th August 2021, 4:10 (UTC+2) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

STATISTICS
  • Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (@UHLS has withdrawn due to time constraints, @Mork did not send in an edit)
  • We have no wild card uses to advance into the next round (@CaptainBink decided not to use a "Wild Card", it seems)
  • We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again (I could download all files), and have an eye on this thread for more feedback and a possible Mix Round 3, or announcing the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
Bologna57

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Bologna57 »

Hy Los_ady, thankyou very much for your individual feedback on my MC078 mix:

"Hello! I think I do not understand the mix :D It's very very Bass heavy but like the muddy part of pass, big plus for the creativity - I mixed and produced this track for a long time with the Band and they wanted fire all the time so they wouldn't approve on the intro, though I really love the idea, great job on this one.
Something sounds here like massive Phasing issue like there is a phase on the whole mix - do you have something like ""Abbey Roads 3"" or any other room meulating software on?"

I'll try to explain in my poor english:
when I was young I played bass; hearing the bass part of the song I realized that it was very effective despite its simplicity: I had the desire to listen my old Fender Precision+Bassman sound in that part of the bass that I could have played too (I was not and still am not good bass player). I also felt the lack of a harmonic carpet in the mix: I made it with the low parts of the bass (a bit dummy, may be) and using the piano (which I passed in a compressor + delay + flanger + tremolo) to give harmonic support to the mix. It may be that I have exaggerated with the juke-box feel of the Bassman :exhausted:. In the next few days I plan to go and check on the mix on Adam speakers and then on Tannoy (currently my small workstation only has proximity listening and 1More 3 way earphones :tu: ).
Thanks for the appreciation of the intro, I'm sure that it is as it has to be: I always say that a good mix is a compromise, and needs 6 hands to move fader and turn on / off the tracks. Today you no longer need hands becouse of automation, but you need 3 heads: a good technician who puts creativity and skills, the frontmen of the band who answers for the band of work, an experienced producer who makes sure that the mix follows the market. Further heads are useless and create confusion, with fewer heads the work can not be good: but I still had a lot of fun doing it alone. And I am aware that 2 heads are missing in this job.
What you call "massive fading" are the two energic flangers put on the overhead L&R tracks of the battery. The entire battery (including overhead) was then strongly compressed: consequently cymbals and Hi-Hat are very sharp, in evidence and "moving around". Everything else in the mix is in focus and "still" (as far as possible ;) ). So no room emulating, just cymbals that sounds as put into the old "analog 1 bit delta modulation" Deltalab DL1!! :)

Here' the mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/159NZ-Y ... sp=sharing

Thank you!
Ciao.
G.
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hey all,

unfortunately last week's been hell and I couldn't make it in time.
@White Punk OD thanks for your input on my mix. The muffled sound was actually a low pass sweep. Could be better I guess...

@Los_ady thanks a lot for your feedback and especially the track, had some fun with it! And you're right, the transition was the ol' reverse reverb trick on a little vocal chop. D-Verb actually :)

Good luck to the remaining pack :phones:
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Hey everyone!!! I hope all is good :)

I'm just after another 2000km journey and spent 90(!) hours with Sun Followers in the Studio (7 Days) we checked out the mixes but didn't have time to really dig into the details BUT with the notes we did with the Band together I relistened to all mixes and announce the winner by today because it's not that easy to pick one here, you all did a fantastic job!

Exciting and sometimes exhausting to be a traveling producer ;) You all Rock, the band was really touched by so many entries!
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Alright!!!

It wasn't easy so we focused on these main parts:

- Overall sound & balance of the instruments
- What was your priority in the mix? #1 here is the vocals as in every rap track, if the vocals are buried the band wasn't happy ;)
- Effectiveness of transitions from Vrs to Chorus
- Creativity and what you added to the Song

Thank you to everyone who participated, as hard as it was to chose 3 winners, here they are:

@kirurg
@Ozgen Sabuncu
@CeZar

Full Feedback for Round 2 is at the end of this spreadsheet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

One more time, you Rock! If you want to learn more about the Band check out our latest videos from the Studio on Instagram @hittheroadmusic

There will be a full 10 Track LP out soon :)

If you like to learn more about Producing World Music (And support our artist support project) check out my tutorials on Promix Academy :)

https://promixacademy.com/hit-the-road-music/

And if you have any questions, please post them here, I'm stationary now for 3 weeks and have more time to answer :)

All the best,

Ady
Hit The Road Music Studio