2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation (staff taking over)

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Seba S

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Submissions until 21-09-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Seba S »

Kabuliwallah wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 22:52 CEST
Seba S wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 21:12 CEST
Hello and thanks for the chance!
This is my version!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lolE2A ... sp=sharing
Hi mate. Just to warn you that your link doesn't work properly.
Thanks friend!
LCM!

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Submissions until 21-09-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by LCM! »

Hello everybody and thanks to the song provider and Mr Fox.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jPK3Zv ... sp=sharing

A touching song of pain and loneliness.
As it is clear, the voice bears the story and the other elements should be playing different roles along it to underpin its meaning; whether into a dialogue with the voice (as the guitar in the first half, mainly, and the violins and piano in the second), or as an envelope to underline the darkness and the sorrow (the rhythm guitar later, the cello during the whole song and mainly in the intro, the outro and when the noise breaks after each pause, or the “percussive” pizz cello and strings).

The main features, besides ordinary eq and comp, are as following.

Voice: parallel compression, reverb and delay. Manual deesing and stressed in some spots.

Guitar: saturation. Closer and louder when sharing the lights with the voice. Duplicated when acting as a rhythm guitar. Both tracks into a group that is side-channed from piano and violin (at the midst of the song, when there is a risk of overly noise) and from pizz string (in the final part).

Piano: a tad of volume for the attack. Layering reverb.

Cello: I love this deep sound rumbling along the song (stressed with some distortion) and I give it more volume in some spots. Reverb and delays are duplicated and panned. Centred, as a bass, though the pizzicato parts are slightly at the left.

String pizz: duplicated and hard panning. Higher volume in the intro. Subtle fading out in the outro. Distortion.

Violin: some volume automation in the midst. Saturation. An extra long reverb in some spots.

Bus: a limiter to keep things within the boundaries. Eq and comp (automation for the latter).

I hope you all enjoy my take.

Greetings.
RobADAMO

Post by RobADAMO »

Alone - Eavesdrops Mix Challenge Submission

Here's my submission!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eTti6D ... sp=sharing

Really cool track to work with. Notes and screenshots are included alongside the audio here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
AndrewMcPherson

Post by AndrewMcPherson »

Hello Everyone,
This is my mix for this contest.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jZkLu05PRzVzdFIBsVNAf8dOGhfARy81/view?usp=sharing

Mixed in Nuendo11
Hardware: UA Apollo and Satellites/ QU-24 / Neumann KH-120

Some of the plugins I have used:
- VSL MIR PRO Reverberation System
- Valhalla Shimmer
- H-Delay
- UA Pure plate
- Soothe2
- Pro Q3
- X-noise
- Elysia Phils Cascade
- Softube Tape
- Maag EQ-2
- UA Ampex ATR-102
- Sonnox Vox Widen
- UA 1176
- UA LA-2A
- Krammer Tape
- TR5 Opto Compressor
- UA Oxford De-Esser
- Revoice Pro
- UA Studer A800
- bx_digital v3
- bx_hybrid v2
- UA SSL G Bus Compressor
- Aphex vintage
- UA Oxford inflator
- Ozone imager
:tu:
pannekoek

Post by pannekoek »

-------

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UPc_GJ ... sp=sharing

Hi,
Excited to be here, just joined up to submit my mix . I already can tell I will learn alot being here, so thanks in advance y'all. :hail:

-------
my main goals were to make the vocals intimate and up front. Most of my eq cuts were to that effect. I did some panning and some volume automation.

put delay on the short strings pizz intro, to blend it with the other instruments coming in at the beginning, hopefully that doesn't seem too much like changing the arrangement.

00:03 - 00:22 - slight fade in and out adjusments

fade out adjustments at end also

reverb send used soundtoys little plate reverb, used by all tracks to varying degrees

VIOLINS1 & 2 -
-low shelf cut at 300hz and each of the two violin tracks panned about 30% left and right respectively

ACOUSTIC GUITAR-
-eq cut 300-500hz and low shelf cut at 200hz

-compressor (logic vintage VCA)

-2nd compressor
(logic platinum) sidechained to vocals

-amp simulator (logic brit reverb) to brighten and add presence and i also added very slight amount of tremolo

VOCALS -
-compressor (logic vintage opto)

-logic exciter 13.5% harmonics at 260hz

-slight eq boost 100-750 hz
-eq cut around 1000 hz
-high shelf boost around 4000hz

-slight send to soundtoys echo boy jr. delay - panned to the left, put through an amp simulation, and automated subtly catch the last word(s) of some of the phrases of the lyrics - trying to get at the concept of feeling split, of fading memories/patterns, and to “double down” on certain lyrics/words i.e. “time”, “heart”
maybe too drastic of an experiment (too much? too little? abandon idea altogether?)

CELLO -
- slight low shelf boost at 300hz
-slight boost at 90hz
-cut around 350hz

-soundtoys radiator 60% wet with bass boost and slight input and output boost

PIANO -
- eq slight boost above 500hz and cut below 500hz

STRINGS PIZ-
—soundtoys echoboy jr delay

CELLO PIZ -
- eq cut around 200 hz

-compressor (logic platinum)

Thanks @Square
pabloAT

Post by pabloAT »

Dear all,
Many thanks to the song provider for this emotional track, and to Mr. Fox for taking care of this game.
Please find below the link to my mix:

[Dropbox's link to MC080]

Submission details:
DAW = Cubase 11.0.30
Integrated LUFS = -20.2
True Peak = -4.05 dB
File Format: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit

Preliminary work : cleaning-up, raw balance, panning/stereo spreading, HPF on all tracks (>20 Hz depending on the track), LPF on some tracks. Removing glitches, noise, etc. from guitar and vocals. All tracks benefited from instances of bx_console SSL 4000 E. Note: I left most of ‘imperfections’ in the vocal track. Actually, IMO the strong emotion and vibe contained in the track came mainly from these subtle cracks...

Acoustic Guitar
I’ve used TDR SlickEQ to warmth-up the original sound a bit. Then applied an emulation of the Diode-609 compressor. Sends to a buses with early reflection and J37’s delay.

Piano
Applied a mid-band compression (subtle) and an instance of Diode-609. The sound was sparkled with a touch of saturation. Send to a bus with early reflection.

Cello Piz
Applied a mid-band compression (subtle) and an instance of Diode-609. At the end of the chain I included an instance of FrontDaw for analog vibe. Send to buses with early reflection and spring reverb.

Cello
Applied an instance of Diode-609. I’ve reinforced the low end with MaxxBass. Send to a bus with early reflection.

String Piz
Applied an instance of Diode-609. Send to buses with early reflection and plate reverb.

Violin
Grouped violin 1 and 2 into a channel stereo. Applied an instance of Diode-609. Send to buses with early reflection, IR reverb and J37’s delay.

Vocals
Applied a very subtle vocal rider at the beginning of the chain. Then, the dynamics was controlled with a mid-band compression (subtle) and an instance of Diode-609. De-essing and saturation with BlackBox at the end of the chain. Send to buses with early reflection, plate reverb, doubler and J37’s delay.

Stems & Master busses
Different instrument groups were sent to 3 stems (“orchestra”, “guitar & piano”, and “vocals”), where I used instances of tape machine emulators. The stems were in turn sent to the master buss, where I applied Arturia’s Bus Force (gentle compression + Pultec-like EQ), SSL compression, a touch of bx_digital V3 for final low/high end frequency adjustments and wideness (very subtle) and an instance of tape emulation.

All the best to all participants,
Best wishes,
Pablo

PS => @song provider: please consider giving a short feedback of submitted mixes.
Ozgen Sabuncu

Post by Ozgen Sabuncu »

Hi Everyone!(sorry for my english)

My goal was, Make the mix wider and fuller with an upfront vocal.

Vocals: Vocals manually deessed with clip gain i think and some parts came unnatural to my ears. I ride the vocals pre fx. and give some 's' sounds back than i dessed with fab proDS. I ride the uneven parts of the vocals for a natural compressing also. Eq'd with Bx ssl plugin. Then compressed with 'mv2' waves, and give character with cla76. Widen the the vocals with izotope trash with a very small convolution reverb. Then send to "ULTRASPACE" which i won from the last challenge.(i like it so much thanks to @mixchallenge family :love: )

Strings: I crate 2 room reverb sends for strings. small room and a large room. Hard panned live violins and widen the midi cello with eventide micropitch.
I proccessed them in a group channel with eq. Bx ssl.

Acoustic solo. Most challenging part for me. I tried to even out the volume with clip gain. and compressed it. Tame some hard hitting sections with dyn eq. and send to ultraspace also.

Acoustic rhytm: Widen a bit with bx stereomaker. well recorded guitar i like it. eq and compression from bx ssl plugin. and send to strings reverb i created.

And make the autiomations, post fx at the end.

Mix bus: Nomad magnetic 2 and dangerous bax eq.

Here is my link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDg5pa ... sp=sharing
doobop

Post by doobop »

Hi to all!

I always do a rough mix first to get to know the song better, understand the parts, and get the feeling of how the elements.

Then I get into the processing of stuff. I do not need a bunch of plugins and do sound-engineering secrets and methods. Just an EQ, a gate and a Compressor and FX. For that one I used a lot of Reverbs..
Final I did automations.

That’ all, hope you like it!

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7a0eulfw0yk2c ... p.wav?dl=0

Cheers,
Doobop
vintage

Post by vintage »

Hello,
Thank you for this new mixing opportunity.

What I have done:

Listen carefully to all the tracks and edit the samples to remove some noise, slightly correct the ends of the violin so that it ends well together, apply a frequency correction and add different preamps for the color, it was not easy because many use frequencies that overlap, but that's the challenge of this mix ...

I mainly used:

On the GT: Antares Mic mod, MAAT orange eq, Acustica EL REY, BLACK PRE

Voice: Antares Mic mod, Acustica EL REY, DIAMOND3 EQ, BLACK PRE, Softube Weiss Desser

Violins, cello: MAAT orange eq, Acustica EL REY, BLACK PRE

The reverb: RELAB VSR S24, Sonsig Rev-A

On sub-groups: N4 ALEXB AMS NEVE 88R (bus)

On the Mix //: P.A SPL IRON

On the Mix bus: N4 ALEXB AMS NEVE 88R (mix)

DAW STUDIO ONE 5.4, Monitors Amphion ONE15, Avantone

FILE 48 khz 24bits | RMS -18,31 | TPL -3,72 | DR 10,70

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16ndJ2e ... sp=sharing

Good listening,
Patrick from Brussels
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Fun song, I went for a more natural appoach almost like listening to a quartet. here's my mix: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqpB-RLndYJrkaFiw1b ... g?e=fQ4d1r

Stuff I did:
vocals: lots of pitch correction, did some control work on the vibrato on some notes as well to smooth things out. Used some matching eq to make the different vocal takes match better. Added a little bit of delay and standard eq/compression.

Guitars: compression and eq, used some panned eq to make them feel wider and more full, pulled out some of the squeeks and noises.

Violins/cellos: some work pulling out some of the extra squeeks and clicks in RX. Again used some panned eq to make them feel bigger. I used bx_subsynth to create some reinforcement on the lows of the cello as the song progresses.

piano: used some pretty extreme (for me anyway) eq settings to get the piano to poke through and used piano to as the side chain source to a dynamic eq on the violins to make a little more space for it.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/