2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation (staff taking over)

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Christoph_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Christoph_K »

@Square Hey, thanks for letting me go to round 2.

I have one serious question: I checked my mix and I have no delay on the Pizz at all, so I wanted to make sure we're talking about the right mix/feedback here...

Cheers
11 Christoph_K Piano Reverb tail is a bit strong and muddles the vox a bit. The delay on the Pizz is nice, but would like it more clean if possible and without the delay or a shorter delay as its a bit too much for how i would like it. Strings are a bit nasaly (most noticable around the final chorus) possibly need attenuated around the 2-5KHz range.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Bologna57 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 20:10 CEST
Mr Fox,
... Bah I don't understand you. Ciao. G.
First and foremost, I am not the Song Provider (the client), that is @Square. Second, your post doesn't make any sense as your entry was not disqualified at all (your previous ones are a different topic). I am therefore removing your misleading comment, as this is not adding to any conversation.

If you got constructive criticism, please voice it in the corresponding General Gossip thread.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 19-OCT-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @Square.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Tuesday, 19-OCT-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

As of this moment, that is just about 5 days (plus the hours since @Square's announcement). All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail shortly.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 12 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out (if present this month).
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@anthonyw
@Christoph_K
@dadomachado
@elroms
@Frequency Painter
@JamesMusic
@ManuC (wild card offered, reason: not within loudness specs, signal too low)
@MattP (wild card offered, reason: not within loudness specs, signal too high)
@maxovrdrive
@Mork (wild card offered, reason: wrong sampling rate)
@unclesnuggles
@violintch02 (wild card offered, reason: wrong sampling rate)
 ! Bonus Info
Please read more about the "wild card" game mechanic here
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=452

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=11625#p11625

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines (post #6) in mind regarding submitting your entry.
PistolPete

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 19-OCT-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by PistolPete »

How is it that entries which don't meet the contest parameters are allowed to go through to 2nd round? I mean there are rules for entry right? I see multiple entries with the wrong sample rates and not within the loudness parameters... How is this ok?

From the entry rules:
These rules and guidelines are for the challenge participants and the actual competition itself. This is the most important rule set for those that want to participate with an own mix. Violation of the rules will result in an instant disqualification.
the final mixdown / export must not undershoot -24 LUFS ILk (Integrated), neither exceed -16 LUFS ILk (Integrated), while the maximum digital signal strength must not exceed -1.0 dBTP (True Peak) - NO (Pre)MASTERING. Recommended measurement specifications are ITU-R BS.1770-2+ (ideally ITU-R BS.1770-4) or EBU R-128
unless otherwise stated, export in the sampling rate and bitrate the material was provided in. However, bar minimum in 24bit. Examples:

If a multitrack package was provided in 44/16 - export in 44/24
If a multitrack package was provided in 44/24 - export in 44/24
if a multitrack package was provided in 44/24 and the end result needs to be delivered in 48/24 - export in 48/24
Last edited by PistolPete on Thu Oct 14, 2021 21:07 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 19-OCT-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Please check the Wild Card mechanic, @PistolPete. Everything is explained in minute detail.

Please also check this news entry that I've made on 17th September 2021. I've yet to fully update the main rule books. I am but one person however, and my focus in recent weeks was on acquiring new material for future games, also much needed technical updates to the forum engine. Apologies for the inconvenience.
fcamp

Post by fcamp »

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 18:43 CEST
@Square, can you please verify to make sure that my contest entry was included in the evaluation?

I find it very odd that out of 57 valid entries, 55 were given feedback, and only 2 were not given any feedback. My entry was 1 of the 2 that did not receive any feedback. I find this very unusual, and it makes me wonder if for some reason my entry was not included.

I could imagine with 57 different entries to evaluate, this could be very possible that mine and 1 other were overlooked. I listened to all of the mixes and although mine wasn't probably the best, it definitely was not bad enough to be secluded from getting feedback.

Please look into this, as I have a hunch that for some reason my entry was skipped and I feel kind of cheated.

I would very much appreciate any and all feedback on my entry, as this is really why I do these contests to get better. So feedback is really valuable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k_wG94 ... QzbTV/view
Hi @PistolPete, I have listened to your mix. In my opinion, it sounds a little bit processed (This is a matter of taste). The vocals sound a little bit telephonic/filtery, and their reverb sound a little bit like too much in a cave. Sorry, I am not that technical expressing this kind of things. Also, although you have used reverb, there is no impression of depth. I mean, the guitar, the piano for example sound with reverb, but when I try to locate them in the space, they are too much in front for me. On the positive side, it sounds modern and wide, and very different from what I would do (which is interesting for me, to contrast approaches), and I like some effects as the one used with the guitar. Hope it is of any help.
Square

Post by Square »

Christoph_K wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 19:22 CEST
@Square Hey, thanks for letting me go to round 2.

I have one serious question: I checked my mix and I have no delay on the Pizz at all, so I wanted to make sure we're talking about the right mix/feedback here...

Cheers
11 Christoph_K Piano Reverb tail is a bit strong and muddles the vox a bit. The delay on the Pizz is nice, but would like it more clean if possible and without the delay or a shorter delay as its a bit too much for how i would like it. Strings are a bit nasaly (most noticable around the final chorus) possibly need attenuated around the 2-5KHz range.
HI there Chris, i think we determined that you were using a kind of very short slapback and that it was changing where the transient hit, but ive checked again and it seems that your overall reverb sounds as if it slightly changes how the transient hits and the reverb tail is a bit long for that particular spot.

cheers
jules666

Post by jules666 »

PistolPete wrote:
@Square, can you please verify to make sure that my contest entry was included in the evaluation?

I find it very odd that out of 57 valid entries, 55 were given feedback, and only 2 were not given any feedback. My entry was 1 of the 2 that did not receive any feedback. I find this very unusual, and it makes me wonder if for some reason my entry was not included.

I could imagine with 57 different entries to evaluate, this could be very possible that mine and 1 other were overlooked. I listened to all of the mixes and although mine wasn't probably the best, it definitely was not bad enough to be secluded from getting feedback.

Please look into this, as I have a hunch that for some reason my entry was skipped and I feel kind of cheated.

I would very much appreciate any and all feedback on my entry, as this is really why I do these contests to get better. So feedback is really valuable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k_wG94 ... QzbTV/view
Agree with @PistolPete here, and if the maths is correct I am the other entry with no feedback...bit disappointed also to get no feedback, as that is one of the reasons I try these challenges.

Never going to be good enough to do mixing as a career I am sure, but do really enjoy it and genres here are not what I normally listen to either!

While I can critique my own mix now some time has passed it would be good to know the area's I feel that I should of improved on are what the song provider also feels may have been wrong.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Before this goes out of hand:

This is a quote of the Rules for the Evaluation Process and Rules for participants of the Mix Challenge.
Song Provider evaluation guidelines wrote: General Evaluation Guidelines
  • Post the 21 day mixing period, the song provider can and must give feedback to all of the submitted tracks. If there is a strong exceedance of 20 submissions by participants, then only for the top 15-20 productions are mandatory to be evaluated (client can give feedback to all entries if he/she so desires).
  • The song provider must(!) select 10-15 tracks after this evaluation period (but no more than 20!), and ask these participants for a re-submission with desired changes that will improve the edit. This marks the start of Mix Round 2
Rules for participants of the Mix Challenge wrote: (please scroll further down in the actual thread...)

Giving feedback to each other:
  • if you didn't make it to "Mix Round 2", you can nicely ask for feedback from the song provider - but the "client" is not under any obligation to do so for participants outside the follow-up round (considering the amount of monthly participants)
  • due to this, giving feedback to each other (participant to participant) is highly encouraged. This adds to the learning process

This rule set has not been changed since July 2020.

Please understand that I can and will not force the Song Provider to do anything more than what has been established. Some of our "virtual clients" invest the time and give feedback to everyone, some barely do the absolute minimum. The Mix(ing) Challenge offering feedback is already an exception compared to similar games out there.

I am putting an end to this particular topic now. Any further commentary about this will be moved to the corresponding General Gossip thread or outright removed (depending on the tone) without further notice.
jeffssoloband

Post by jeffssoloband »

PistolPete wrote:
<removed>
I’m in the same boat, so if we don’t get a response, I’ll gladly do a detailed feedback trade with you.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
Info: Removed reference to a now deleted post to not fuel anymore discontent on the forum