2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC083 December 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
We are ending the game here and do not go into Mix Round 3.

The Winners Podium is
1) @EtienneRosset
2) @mixedbyadn
3) @PrzemekM.

We perform with the usual - in order of the winners podium, please select one license out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
And thank you @Johnny_Fingers for the final words of feedback and encouragement.

To those wondering why @gonzacarmele and @mark9500 are not listed in the previous post, @gonzacarmele submitted a mix at -14,8 LUFS ILk for Mix Round 2, while @mark9500's entry dropped drastically in signal strength to -28,8 LUFS ILk. Both entries are therefore not within loudness specs and sadly ruled out of the game.

See you on the flipside.
cpsmusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC083 December 2021 - Winners announced

Post by cpsmusic »

Congratulations to @EtienneRosset (and the other winners)!

Would it be possible for you to describe how you processed the guitar and bass parts.

Cheers!
LowlandsWave

Post by LowlandsWave »

Congratulations to all on the winners podium.
mark9500

Post by mark9500 »

Doh! Rooky error on my part somewhere... :o Congrats to the winners!
gonzacarmele

Post by gonzacarmele »

Congrats to the winners!

Thanks guys for the dedication and reviews. I forgot to check the LUFS :face:
I didn't even though of that, of course bringing up the vocals had consequences on loudness... I'll keep on practicing!

This was fun! Best to all! :phones:
Johnny_Fingers

Post by Johnny_Fingers »

I know it's outside of the challenge, but if any of you want to try mastering a mix, I'd love to hear it. Good reference tracks would be songs from the people I mentioned in the contest. Would be aiming for streaming standards in terms of LUFS.
Cheers!
EtienneRosset

Post by EtienneRosset »

Hello !

Wow I didn't expect that ! Thank you @Johnny_Fingers for picking me as your first choice !!!

@MisterFox, thanks for have been setting all this up. If possible I will get the Nugen MonoFilter.

@cpsmusic :
-guitar :
i mainy used SM58 track, panned to 45% right. It is processed with Soundtoys Sie-Q to get +6dbs of treble and -3.5dbs at 1.5khz, and a little extra drive (+3dbs). EQed also with FabFilter Pro-Q 3 to take off some 320hz, 2550hz and 5800hz.
This track is sent in a soundtoys echoboy, panned at 100% L, it's a single echo timed at 50 ms and EQed with hi and lopass just to get a impression of stereo space. I used a little the second guitar track, I delayed it to 22ms and panned it full left too in the same purpose (but this track is very similar to the 58 one, if I understood well it has been created from it, so there is not enough differences to feel a real space between the two...).
All of these go in a submix track with a Fabfilter Mutliband compressor centered on 4400Hz to try to get rid of the left hand finger noises. It has another echoboy set up on ping-pong delay (260ms left and 310ms right) with hipass and a bunch of feedback. It's a second step into the whole guitar space.
This submix track is sended to a reverb aux (used also for guitar solo and a little for bass), on which I used Soundtoys (again) Little Plate set on 3.7s decay, hipassed to 267hz.

-bass :
FabFilter Pro Q : -8dBs at 181hz (sharp Q), -4.6dBs at 285 Hz (medium sharp Q), lopass at 3,3 kHz.
Waves Rbass centered on 69Hz and intensity at -4dBs. Gives extra body.
Waves RCompressor : 14.7ms attack, 292ms release, ratio 7.9, gain reduction is about 6-7 dBs on each peak.
FabFilter Saturn : whole band, warm tape setting, drive 22%, bass tone=+0.3dB, treble tone=+1.7dB, in=0dB, out=-1dB
Sent into the Little Plate Aux at -20dB.

But I have to say that there are a bunch of stuff on the master track that modify these tracks again in the overall mix. To say it quickly there are a Trident Console emulation from Slate digital, another Sie-Q, another Fabfilter Multiband Comp, a Slate FG-Mu Comp, a Waves S1 Shuffler (stereo enlargment) and a J37 tape waves emulation.

@Johnny_Fingers : I can try to master my mix if you want and if it's ok with the forum's rules.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Hi @EtienneRosset, of course your selection (NUGEN Audio) is possible. I already responded to your PM.

Next up is @mixedbyadn, please.

:arrow: Regarding Mastering:
You can keep up the conversation of course. It will just be "outside of the competition" at this point. So everything that happens now, is bonus.

Since @Johnny_Fingers would like to hear something "aimed at streaming standards", but didn't say which service, then let's assume it will be for either Spotify, Youtube, Tidal or Amazon Music. Their current LUFS target is -14 LUFS ILk (+-1LU, as of September 2021), however only Amazon has a dBTP max of -2,00 dBTP, while everyone else utilizes a dBTP max of -1,00 dBTP.

Have fun, everyone. :phones:
EtienneRosset

Post by EtienneRosset »

Saw your PM, thanks for all !

Alright I will post here the link of the mastered song when I'll have it.

Cheers.
Johnny_Fingers

Post by Johnny_Fingers »

EtienneRosset wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 14:25 CET
Saw your PM, thanks for all !

Alright I will post here the link of the mastered song when I'll have it.

Cheers.
That would be fantastic! Looking forward to hearing it... thanks!