2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

ProgressiveHoschi wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 16:22 CET
Hi, was my second time here in the mixing challenge. Another disqualification because of the Bitrate....
No, your entry was "tagged disqualified" because you only posted a link to your mix, then moved on and didn't provide any further documentation.
Please don't make up any other reason.

Please consult the Rules and Guidelines (post #6), and read up on the Addendum: Statistic Sheet and Wild Card Mechanic. Everything has been explained in minute detail there.
tmort1277

Post by tmort1277 »

Again, Thanks to everyone for the amazing opportunity. We have learned a lot about our song and our final mix will definitely be better because of the experience. A few items to note, some general mix notes if you will. We like LCR mixes, a lot of what we learned from is that. We like using the holes and pauses to great effect, some of these mixes do a great job of that. We really like loud drums, don't be scared to crank them. The vocal is super important so how it grooves is priority. The cowbell in the solo sections is really for added excitement and should not be the focus of the section, definitely should not distract from the guitar. We appreciate the creative approach some of you have taken, using the bits and pieces to create something not originally conceived. We would love to hear a mix that was both muscular and airy, if such a thing exists. We encourage you to read everyone's notes and listen to their mixes to help understand what we think is good. Lastly, allow me to apologize for the delay, having to consolidate mix notes from four listeners took much longer than expected.
Thanks, The Buddy Blake Band

Badgerface
-overall nice balance, good vocal treatment, like the grindy bass, good kick/bass, the BGV in chorus are a good blend, well treated organ, the main rhythm guitar could be better managed/automated? It gets distracting at times, the cowbell in the solos is too loud, should be less heard, more sensed(this is common to a number of the mixes), the synth pops could also be lowered

PauPeu
-nice balance, we like the louder drums, good kick/bass, the organ is well used, like to see you relevel the BGV, by that we mean trying different blends of the choices and easy on the highest pitched ones(also a note for a number of the mixes), also a little heavy on the vocal effect, consider some single note tuning on the lead vocal(we use Melodyne), the mix is pretty mono but we kinda dig that especially on the phone and Auratone.

Gertius
-nice muscular mix, good kick/bass, good vocal, nice use of hidden gem/Easter egg guitar stuff, some of which we forgot was there:-) (this is also a thing we liked about a number of the mixes), the snare could be louder, less distorted guitar in the chorus, didn't hear much BGV, interesting choice, think about it, your call, we encourage creativity and originality

Green-Dog
-nice airy mix, like the LCR, good vocal, nice bass, like the panning on Buddy's guitar, good BGV, no one has any real critiques except maybe less organ, nice job

maxoverdrive
-nice LCR, good bass, nice guitar and organ panning, like the more acoustic guitars, vocal sits nice but could be a tad louder, drums also could be a little louder, less cowbell in solos, consider some tuning or re-blending on the BGV

zajus
-quieter mix but that is OK, good balance, good kick/bass, nice LCR, good choice of extra Buddy(guitar) parts, nice music balance in the chorus, snare could be louder as well as overall drum kit, BGV could be a little louder

ajlsoundwave
-one of our faves because of the creativity, nice LCR, the acoustic in the middle on the the first verse and the different use of guitar voices from first to second verse was brilliant and we give a big tip of the hat for the feel and dynamic groove that creates. Nice treatment of the holes. Good tambo. Good vocal. Good BGV but could use some tuning, drums could be louder, less cowbell in solos.

IbanezoO
-cool intro, good bass, nice hole treatment, kick is a tad heavy, overall drums could be louder, chorus acoustic could be quieter, otherwise overall good balance

UHLS
-Also one of our faves because of the awesome hole treatment, good kick/bass, vocal sits nice, good BGV, good cowbell, consider some automation on the rhythm guitar doubler thing? Maybe just use less of it?, drums could be louder

dnlptn
- nice intro, open airy mix, good bass, nice guitar panning, drums could be a tad louder, kick is fine, less cowbell, the vocal effect is a bit much a times at others pretty cool, think about how to use that more effectively, automate muting maybe?

Michael_K
- also one of our faves, good balance, good bass/kick, good vocal, nice wide chorus, good hole treatment, nice acoustic, consider some vocal tuning, the cowbell is close, maybe too much on the second solo, maybe a tad less overall, good effort

DeifDiamond
-good vocal, good guitar placement, nice snare, very nice hole treatment, good cowbell and tambo, less acoustic in chorus, maybe just EQ does it? The overall mix could be a tad “thicker”

JamesMusic
-nice LCR, good kick/bass, good vocal, good cowbell, interesting placement and use of the BGV, consider less of the highest voice, the drums could be a little more aggressive/lively, it doesn't feel like just a volume thing, maybe some saturation or parallel treatment or both

alantwelve
-great vocal, cool Buddy(guitar) parts, good cowbell, overall good balance, drums could be louder and a little better “defined”

vintage
-good kick/bass, nice hole treatment, BGV choices are good, really nice lead guitar ttreatment, like the space, we are suckers for the old “telephone voice”, very bold choice and we approve, however consider maybe only using it once and also lower the volume a bit no matter how often you choose to use it.
alantwelve

Post by alantwelve »

tmort1277 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 15:45 CET
alantwelve
-great vocal, cool Buddy(guitar) parts, good cowbell, overall good balance, drums could be louder and a little better “defined”
Feedback noted, thank you. I'm on the case...
ajlsoundwave

Post by ajlsoundwave »

ajlsoundwave
-one of our faves because of the creativity, nice LCR, the acoustic in the middle on the the first verse and the different use of guitar voices from first to second verse was brilliant and we give a big tip of the hat for the feel and dynamic groove that creates. Nice treatment of the holes. Good tambo. Good vocal. Good BGV but could use some tuning, drums could be louder, less cowbell in solos.

Thank you for the detailed feedback - I wanted your track to maintain some "live" elements to it and glad you like the mix elements I used to achieve this. I will go back and now fix those areas of concern and hopefully you will like the mix even more!

Best Regards,
Alan
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 2 until 22-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @tmort1277.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Tuesday, 22-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

As of this moment, that is 5 days (plus the hours since @tmort1277's announcement, and I've updated the post). All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail shortly.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 15 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out (if present this month).
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@ajlsoundwave
@alantwelve
@Badgerface
@DeifDiamond
@dnlptn
@Gertius
@Green-Dog
@IbanezoO
@JamesMusic
@maxovrdrive
@Michael_K
@PauPeu
@UHLS
@vintage
@zajus
 ! Bonus Info
Please read more about the "wild card" game mechanic here
Mix Challenge - Addendum: Statistic Sheet and Wild Card Mechanic

Info: No wild cards present for MC084 / February 2022

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=12504#p12504

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines (post #6) in mind regarding submitting your entry.
DeifDiamond

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 2 until 22-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by DeifDiamond »

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Following the advice, I have added a room type reverb to the whole mix to make everything sound more glued, and to make the mix feel denser. I've put it through a parallel send and added a few dB to it, because I didn't want too much reverb cluttering up the mix.

Although it wasn't in the comments, I cut the tail of the snare a bit with a noise gate, because I felt that the groove was lost a bit with such a long reverb.

Finally, I have highlighted the frequencies of the choirs that do not compete with those of the main voice so that they can be better distinguished, but without masking the main voice.

Here is the link to the second version of the song:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kThNWk ... sp=sharing
dnlptn

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 2 until 22-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by dnlptn »

Thank you @tmort1277 for the feedback! Thrilled to be in the 2nd round.

Just want to clarify which vocal effect you meant. Was it the effect in the transitions (yeah)?

Cheers,
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

If anyone is interested in doing a "mix feedback exchange" (I review your mix, you review my mix) pm me.

Cheers!
Last edited by cpsmusic on Sat Mar 19, 2022 08:03 CET, edited 1 time in total.
ajlsoundwave

Post by ajlsoundwave »

Here is my 2nd mix revision (R2) of the challenge:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fal63ms6vtgmi ... 2.wav?dl=0

Thank you @tmort1277 for the feedback and I did my best to correct those items you identified as weaknesses in my mix (Tuned more vocals, reduced cowbell, louder drums etc.). I hope all of the contestants make round 2 a challenge for you guys to make the next cut; looking forward to listening to all the mixes from everyone.

@DeifDiamond I really like how you have the vocal sitting in your (R2) mix. Great job!

Best Regards and good luck with the mix Reviews!
Alan
UHLS

Post by UHLS »

Hello @tmort1277, thanks for choosing my mix in the R2.
I made the drums louder and automated the mono delay (as a doubler for the rhythm guitar).
I hope that the changes correspond to the wishes of the band and remain with best regards,
UHLS

mix download:

https://workupload.com/file/LwckxBAvmyE