2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Christoph_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 until until 27-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Christoph_K »

Hey @Los_ady, thanks for giving me another revision. I really dig your feedback culture: pointing out the positive aspects and help things to improve. No mixing competition is ever objective. And I participated in quite a few. The beauty of the Mix Challenge is the possibility for extensive feedback and discussions, a thing I really miss in other contests (like Puremix for example).

So, for R3 (and to please the client - lol) I did the following:

- tweaked the midrange to make the bass a bit more audible
- automated the guitars and brass tracks to make more room in the chorusses (the main compressor on the mixbus is barely doing anything but the parallel comp makes it a little bit dense I guess)
- used a clipper to get rid of unpleasant clicks in the percussion tracks
- extended the range of the dynamic EQ in the low mids on Fionas track

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rmrqixr53e61 ... 3.wav?dl=0
andreybenassi

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 until until 27-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by andreybenassi »

Thanks @Los_ady for another round of feedback!

The Fiona's vocal was loud so I corrected that, maybe because of the English barrier, I got lost in some part of the feedback, but I hope that now the voice is in the right place!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ENUfR ... sp=sharing
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Love your input everyone!

@Franz I get your point with mixing the instruments/cultures but maybe it wasn't clear as well:

The Power Is Out was a collaboration during COVID to keep the music rolling during these times - so we wanted to make a cross collaboration between the UK Band Cablestreet Collective and Moroccan Artists, you know, just to do at least something musical during this time :D

So everyone recorded at home as they couldn't leave their apartments, while we added what we can add while traveling - Thank you @Mister Fox for stepping in, you keep this pub and party under control ;)

Did you went also to Studio Hiba? Because this studio is the top of the tops and Mehdi the Mixing Engineer is just nailing it - we recorded with Karim Ziad, conventional drums, with like 5 x U67, 2 x 414 Room Mic's and the other standards, so much fun - such a good sound.
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

@MrFlat Absolutely valuable input! Nothing to add, appreciate taking the time for your post! You know, I learned a lot today, that's what I'm truly grateful for right now!
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi Ady,

Thank you for your explanations concerning the production of "Power is Out".
Yes, the context was really singular (lockdown). Perhaps the fact that everyone should not be in the same
place to produce this title could explain this aspect of a lack of cohesion (personal opinion).
However, the title has the merit of existing and it is already well.
Mixing musical genres remains absolutely an adventure and that's good. The world is moving...

I worked only in Rabat and it was in 2002. The HIBA studio has to be absolutely fantastic and I understand that you appreciated it.

Mister Fox, don't worry, the site is always under your control.
Certainly these last post exchanges were not only placed under the pure technique of mixing but allowed interesting exchanges
on a human level. This is allowed, right ?
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Learning about culture, and about tech stuff, to most people are two very different classes for different days.
You have to put that together yourself, after gaining some maturity in the different disciplines.
Like: what is the technical situation for a particular project, and what is the cultural situation and therefor motivation to do it.
Consequently, this is not a perfect but a very instructive and interesting project, that the artists and musicians loved.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 until until 27-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 3.

So far, we have 2 out of 7 entries.
O'MIX

Post by O'MIX »

Hello,
Sorry to have opened Pandora's box with my technical questions, it is obvious here that all the candidates are of very different levels and that everyone dreams of the best thing to work on these mixes (beginner or pro) in this context I wanted just sharing my impressions and does not encourage listening or comparing them even if I think that a good technical mastery is very important, for artistic choices it is not really debatable and very different from a person to the other. Other, this project was very interesting and very difficult to mix and was done under difficult circumstances and it takes a lot of hard work and determination to manage and comment on it all, thanks to supplier Ady and Mr. Fox for making it possible.

I look forward to being able to listen to the chosen mixes
O’MIX
Christoph Stoll

Post by Christoph Stoll »

Hello lovely people!

I'm done. Your feedback (in both rounds) revealed crucial weaknesses in my listening environment. I'm afraid, I'll have to invest in a bigger/better subwoofer... I'll keep on practicing "critical listening" anyway.
So, this is my "Final 3.0"-Version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dexaFm ... sp=sharing

To get rid of the low end-buildup, I (partly) distorted the Bass and raised some low cuts in frequency. I double checked the mix on "corrected" HPs and: that's it.

Thanks for taking your time! I hope this revision brings the mix into the desired direction...

Best wishes!
Chris
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 until until 27-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Less than 6 hours left for Mix Round 3.

So far, 3 entries have been sent in (@andreybenassi, @Christoph_K and @Christoph Stoll)
Missing are 4 more entries ( @dstra, @Mork, @MrFlat, @rvalle)