2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Christoph_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 20-JAN-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Christoph_K »

@Rawkinron: Again thank you for giving my mix a chance for a revision!

I found a glitch in the original overhead track in the second chorus and repaired it with the corresponding snippet from the first one. I also found two or three glitches in the guitar tracks and palm mutes and tamed them.

I quadruple checked all the vocal tracks and checked the part at 2:02 with laser ears :phones: . I could not find any obvious mistakes but I lowered the sibilance at the mentioned spot to have a better transition between the two tracks. I also tackled some annoying resonances and I hope it’s better now. I then backed off the delays a bit to make the vocals more upfront. While I was at it I added a light MicroShift on some of screams double to give them a little bit of a push. Didn’t touch the rest of the mix.

Cheers, Chris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywyhceximu5gq ... 2.wav?dl=0
Rawkinron

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 20-JAN-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Rawkinron »

Christoph_K wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 18:59 CET
@Rawkinron: Again thank you for giving my mix a chance for a revision!

I found a glitch in the original overhead track in the second chorus and repaired it with the corresponding snippet from the first one. I also found two or three glitches in the guitar tracks and palm mutes and tamed them.

I quadruple checked all the vocal tracks and checked the part at 2:02 with laser ears :phones: . I could not find any obvious mistakes but I lowered the sibilance at the mentioned spot to have a better transition between the two tracks. I also tackled some annoying resonances and I hope it’s better now. I then backed off the delays a bit to make the vocals more upfront. While I was at it I added a light MicroShift on some of screams double to give them a little bit of a push. Didn’t touch the rest of the mix.

Cheers, Chris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywyhceximu5gq ... 2.wav?dl=0
That sounds so so good! Great Job :hail:
Rawkinron

Post by Rawkinron »

Well Christoph_k coming in hot with his mix! Looking forward to hearing everyone else! This is the time to bring it home guys! For the ones who didn't make it to round two you should use the round two mixes as a reference. These guys are all great mixing engineers and you could learn from them.
Ronson79

Post by Ronson79 »

Thanks for voting me into the second round!
Here´s my revision taking your meaningful critique into account.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pLHXof ... sp=sharing

Best

Ronson
Havol

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Havol »

Hi @Rawkinron ! Thanks for choosing me for Round 2 ! :)
Rawkinron wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:20 CET
OK, WELL FIRST OF ALL YOU GUYS ALL ROCK AND THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SENT IN A MIX. SORRY FOR MY DELAY AS I LIVE A REALLY BUSY LIFESTYLE.

HERE ARE MY RESULTS, IF YOU HAVEN'T MADE THE CUT DONT WORRY YOU STILL DID GREAT, THESE MIXES ARE JUST THE TOP 15.

FOR THE MIXES WHO DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, KEEP UP THE HARD WORK BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

FOR THE OTHERS...... GOOD JOB SO FAR GUYS, BUT WE CAN STILL IMPROVE. NOW IT'S TIME TO TIGHTEN THINGS UP FOR ROUND 2! GOOD LUCK!!

HAVOL - I FEEL LIKE THE REAL DEEP VOICE IS A BIT OFF TIMING BUT I LIKE WHAT YOU'RE GOING FOR, VERY CREATIVE. EVERYTHING ELSE CAPTURED THE ORIGIONAL VIBE PRETY GOOD. CHECK THE BALANCE ON YOUR VOCALS THOUGH I FEEL THERE ARE A COUPLE SPOTS THAT ARE OFF
I took into account your criticism to fix my mix.
The deep voice was clearly out of timing, I setted it correctly. I also boosted the vocals here and there to make sure it doesn't go off anymore.
Finally, i cutted some 500Hz and boosted some 5KHz to sound more metal :)

Here's the link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1baSZiL ... sp=sharing

I hope you will like my revision !

Good luck everyone !
Havol
TomImmon

Post by TomImmon »

@Rawkinron: Here is my new entry. Thanks again für choosing me for round 2.
i played around with the gits, choose Izotope trash für the intro and worked a bit on bass and vocals. I hope you like the result :smile:
All the best from Berlin
Tom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5lg6dtkzj55t ... 2.wav?dl=0
Hoek

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Hoek »

Well hallo again!

How exciting to have made it to the finals, that's a first! Third times the charm! Never give up, never give in and all that! :smile:

Here's my revision: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10zcXMW ... share_link

HOEK - NICE SNAP ON YOUR SNARE BUT I TINK YOU HAVE SOME LEVELING ISSUES AND FX TIMING TO FIX UP. GREAT RUN AT IT. LOTS OF GREAT THINGS GOING ON KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Well, levels are changed. Even though I don't really know which one(s) were refered to it was quite easy to guess.. :grin: Guitars needed to come up, especially the melody-onestring ones in the chorus and the octave riff. but also the main guitars are louder now and slightly less scooped. Vocals have been reworked level and automation-wise. some of the chorus parts were way low. the overheads lost some exessive top end boost and that snappy snare was lowered a tad bit. Bass got som extra 1k to cut through and the whole mix now feels less scooped and more balanced in my humble opinion.
I also slapped on a oxford inflator last on the 2 bus and on the drum buss for some excitement. Still no limiter though.

The fx timing issues on the other hand.. I haven't figured that one out, but I've gone through my fx sends and massaged them some.

oh yeah, I came up with a way to bring those nice ghostnotes up in the snare track. Simply duplicated the snare, cut all the main hits out and compressed the living **** out of what was left. then sneaked that in under the main snare.

I do hope i did improve my mix and didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.... :smile: it sure feels a bit different from version 1.

Thanx to Rawkinron, Mr Fox and all contestants and bywatchers for this opportunity. Great community this!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 20-JAN-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2.

So far, we have 6 out of 15 entries, with a bit more than 12 hours left on the clock.
alavault

Post by alavault »

R2 Submission, thank you for letting me a chance to improve on my mix.
Mix:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OcAA_u ... share_link
  • Reduced the length of the reverbs
  • Automated some more effects (eg GTR delay)
  • Added some 20k+ to the vocals
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all,
Again, absolutely loved working on this song, I think I done myself hearing damage with how loud I had it towards the end ;) Anyway, I hope you like my revisions.
The general feedback seemed to be that things were a bit hidden/not upfront enough, so I reviewed all the EQ and made some adjustments generally making sounds brighter, but trying to keep fairly close to my round 1 mix. I also went through all the vocals to bring up the words which were on the low side. I changed the compression type on the drum room and the overheads to the more moderate API 2500 hoping that this would bring a bit more clarity. I also changed the mix bus compressor from Shadowhills to the Townhouse, the Shadowhills was a little sluggish on the release.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLeisQ ... share_link

Good luck all.