2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC090 February 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
GeorgeCorg

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC090 February 2023 - Mix Round 2 until until 14-MAR-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by GeorgeCorg »

Hello all,

Thanks Cristian for choosing my mix for round 2 :smile:

I tried to tick as many checkboxes as asked, hope I got them all! :wink:

Here is the revisioned mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16J6pBT ... share_link
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC090 February 2023 - Mix Round 2 until until 14-MAR-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by PauPeu »

Thanks Christian for choosing my mix!

I made some adjustments

As suggested for the artist, I changed the amps on the melody guitar and solo, I tried to keep the fullness of the old one (distortion) but with the acoustic cleanness and attack (this was a tricky one on the solo track).

Also I cleaned some annoying frequencies, about 220 on the snare and the acoustic rhythm guitar (again, this was a tricky one), and some higher ones on the vocals.

In this mix I kept the mixbus with no compression, just some linear eq, and totape5 and Tube from airwindows.

The mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S40UR4 ... sp=sharing

Good Luck everyone!

edit: I forgot the phase alignment on drum tracks, and the phase inversion on the bass track (it seemed to clean the lows )
itsmorefuntocompute
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by itsmorefuntocompute »

Hey Everyone,

A big thanks to @cristian_condrea for evaluating my mix and including me in round 2!
I am using my first wild card for this submission. My left channel was +0.11 dB in round 1, so hopefully, I didn't screw that up this time around...

Here are his original critiques with my attempted fixes and descriptions for each.

1. I'm not really liking the sound of the drums. Maybe that's a compromise you had to make in order to make the bass sound that good. I would consider more punch for the kick and more body for the snare. But then again, it's your choice if it comes to compromising with the bass guitar.
I worked to bring out some more sub energy on the kick drum and fullness in the snare with additional eq. I think I was able to keep the original bass guitar mix you liked. This was done with some lower-frequency sidechain compression on the kick drum.

2. The sound of the GTR - acoustic solo part seems ok, but I would consider lowering the drive/distortion of the signal. It sounds quite aggressive for my taste.

This was my own preference getting in the way on the acoustic part. TBH I was attempting to step away from the DI tone by trying to achieve a faux-electric sound. Obviously, this wasn't your original intention and I appreciate your candor. I removed a lot of the overdrive, rebalanced levels, and added a little bit of chorus to give some depth.

3. I like the sound effect you created at 1.07, but then again, I would consider decreasing the volume by around 2db. The same goes for the back vocal that creates a 3d interval for the lead vocal "the smell of your perfume..."), till the end of the second chorus.
I brought down the "sound effect" and its associated sends. I also rewrote volume automation for the vocal lines here.

4. The "uuuuu" back vocal close to the end is almos not there (2.33), make it louder, so that it is perceived as a filling element.
I made sure to bring this more to the front of the mix.

5. The back vocals in the last chorus (from 2:34) that has to overlay the lead one are barely there. I would think of it like two lead vocal parts that creates something close to polyphony.
The background vocals were re-mixed for this part of the song. Additionally, I took the chorus/canon part and tried to bring it out to the sides with a bandpass/hi-pass effect.

Thanks again for your critique. I hope you enjoy the changes/final mix and look forward to the results of the Mix Challenge. Best of luck to everyone else!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQhTSH ... sp=sharing
Tapwater

Post by Tapwater »

Here is my mix revision:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/126Tm5p ... share_link

Filtered the delay on the solo acoustic part and turned the delay down a bit as well.

Filtered the crash to brighten it a bit.

Turned the phone eq voice down at the end.

Filtered and turned down the verb on the organ.

Thanks!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC090 February 2023 - Mix Round 2 until until 14-MAR-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2.

So far, we have 8 out of 15 entries, with a bit more than 23 hours left on the clock.
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Hello,
Thank you for choosing my mix!
Here is my entry for round 2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16HyF_I ... share_link

I changed everything what you writed and i added more perfection to vocal and got a better vibe of the end of the song.

Cheers!
edwarkmonk

Post by edwarkmonk »

Hi and thanks for choosing too.
I did everything that you described and also add some refine on overall mix then. Hope you will like it!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cghp3po6r2zqi ... 2.wav?dl=0
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC090 February 2023 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 15th March 2023, 01:30 (UTC+1) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

STATISTICS
  • Unfortunately, not everyone has sent in an edit (missing: @Coiled_Ear, @DennisBastioni, @Dreni, @Locrais, @tcheck10 )
  • We have 2 Wild Card uses to advance into the next round (@PauPeu, @itsmorefuntocompute)
  • We have 2 participant that decided on not to advance through the use of a Wild Card (@Coiled_Ear, @tcheck10)
  • We have 0 submission after the deadline

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for more feedback and a possible Mix Round 3, or an announcement of the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. The Songwriting Competition is still in full swing. :tu:

Please also consider becoming a Song Provider - no more material means no more Mix(ing) Challenges. Our Song Pool is empty!

See you on the flipside.
PistolPete

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC090 February 2023 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by PistolPete »

If anyone would be interested in giving me feedback on my mix I would be very interested in hearing how I could improve.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKqO6z ... share_link

Thank you!

And awesome job to all those that made the cut :)
cristian_condrea

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC090 February 2023 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by cristian_condrea »

Hi, everyone! The top 3 winners are:

1. Christoph_K

2. GeorgeCorg

3. Paupeu

Thank you all for choosing to work on my song. I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me. I've convinced myself once again how important it is to have an extra pair of ears when it comes to mixing and being creative in the process. Keep up the good work. This experience inspired me to work even harder on my skills, and I hope it did the same for you. Be bold. Be creative, and most importantly, enjoy the process. Hopefully, we'll "meet" again. I wish you all a great weekend. Cheers!