2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 091 - April 2023

! Bonus Info
With the second game of this year, you have the chance to work on a "Hard Rock" production by the band "SilverStoned", kindly provided to us by songwriter/producer of the band, Jeroen Zuiderwijk (@JeroenZuiderwijk). The song is called "EyeOfTheNeedle".

The song in question is an elder recording and far from being ideal. Your task is to build upon what has been given to you, and give this production a new spin with your personal sonic fingerprint. The BPM is not constant, and you have access to multiple guitar tracks to create a new "wall of sound".

Think you're up to the challenge?

Then please take special note of the attached TXT files in the Mix Pack. And please read about the details and special requirements for handling this mix further down below.

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" for the Mix Challenge regarding principles of the game, upload/submission guidelines, the concept of documenting your edits, and maximum allowed loudness values (see Rule Book - post #6)
  • The focus of this game is "mixing". Try to create a mix in your own style that complements this production and can stand on it's own, no matter the playback medium. Edit/Mix in such a way, that barely any after-touches other than proper fade in/out and finalizing for distribution (incl. loudness adjustments e.g. for release on Streaming, Vinyl, Tape, CD) is needed for a possible follow-up mastering step.
  • The "Mix Pack" and additional information for this months production can be found in in post #002
  • NEW WITH MC091: Please consult the bundled TXTs for more info -- a sub-300 words TL;DR Rule Set is (now) part of the "Mix Pack"
  • Filename Template: MC091__SilverStoned__EyeOfTheNeedle__ForumUsername.wav
Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.
If you got any question, please also reach out on Discord

:arrow_right: MIX(ING) CHALLENGE THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, License Sponsors
Post #102 -- Mix Round 1 Statistics/Data Sheet: Overview of Submissions - is your entry within given parameters?
Post #168 -- Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Post #000 -- Mix Round 3: <not happening this game>
Post #215 -- Results: Winner announcement
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Submissions until 21-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Saturday, 01st April 2023 to Friday, 21st April 2023 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-APR-2023, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord.

Song Provider: SilverStoned (represented by @JeroenZuiderwijk)
Song Name and Length: EyeOfTheNeedle, 4:07 min
Song Information: ??? BPM / Signature: 4/4
File Format: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit

GENRE: Hard Rock

:arrow_right: Preview of the Song (Demo Mix):

phpBB [media]

INFORMATION: This version might sound different from the provided multi-tracks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: SOURCE FILES:

Main Mix Package - full package (389,18 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)
IMPORTANT NOTE: download window might show a smaller file size, file unavailable after 21-APR-2023

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression (specs from 2015).
File size extracted: 1703,47 MB, packed 389,18 MB (ZIP, LZMA)

In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs / apps:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A word from the song provider:
JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:SilverStoned plays rock with infuences from the '90's and '70's. The songs are written by Ronald Lolkema (guitar) and Jeroen Zuiderwijk (guitar / vocals + this month song provider).

When we started this band it wasn’t my intention to became the lead singer (I’m not a great rock singer) but it was hard to find a good singer and after a while I liked the idea of singing my own songs. I’m still learning though.

"EyeOfTheNeedle" is a song from the album “OneManForARevolution” with rock/punk/grunge style of songs. "Eye Of The Needle" is a song about many things in life but mostly about friendship and lost friendship. Most songs on the album took us just a couple of weeks to write the basic structure. But this song proved to be difficult and took a very long time.

We almost ditched the song entirely but I’m glad we didn’t. It has had many different versions before Ronald came up with this version. When I heard it, I knew it was going to be one of my favorite songs of the album.

It is a classic rock song. So although the guitars need some 'dirt' there is in my opinion no room for ‘metalzone’ heavyness. The recorded tracks are not great, I realize that ,but the unpolished sound is also part of the character of the song. And I think that is part of the challenge this month.

I had to work hard to make it sound like it does in the original mix but I think it still misses impact and dynamics. And I think it can sound so much better with the right mix. That is why I am curious to hear how other people would mix this song. 

So don't be afraid of some grittiness and the guitars don’t have to be perfectly timed. On the other hand if you manage to make it sound great with a polished clean mix... you should feel free to do so. Don’t feel restricted in any way.

If you are looking for reference music I suggest listening to bands like:
Greta van Fleet, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, The Black Crowes, etc. 

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:

The "Words by the Mix Challenge staff" have been "hidden" for MC091 / April 2023 for easier thread readability. As of MC092 / June 2023, and depending on the overall feedback of the game's layout overhauls, this text block might only be part of the bundled TXTs in the future.
► Show Spoiler

Rule Summary:

More technical details are in the Mix Pack bundled TXTs. In there you can find the lyrics of the song (incl. a translation to English), more information about the individual files, possible changes to the time signature, and maybe even additional tips and tricks relevant to this production. Additionally a TL;DR Rule Set and, depending on the song provider's approval, an available "Off-site redistribution agreement" for a possible portfolio presentation.

Please consult the official Rules and Guidelines for a more detailed set of rules, including how to document your edits, maximum loudness values and delivery formats (see Rule Book - Post #6). Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):
Acon Digital, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, Kilohearts,
Metric Halo, NOS Audio, NUGEN Audio and Tone2

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
LowlandsWave

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Submissions until 21-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by LowlandsWave »

This is gonna be a lot of fun and a challenge to mix. I always mess up the "guitar re-amping" :cry: . Like the song!! Thanx @JeroenZuiderwijk for providing the song! Eens kijken wat we hier van kunnen bakken ...
ggibson1988

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Submissions until 21-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by ggibson1988 »

Oh, the dilemma...

Play by the rules in regards to volume specs or go for it....

Seems like nearly all of the wild cards are clearly violators...

Makes since, right? Louder sounds better! :hmmm:
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

ggibson1988 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 08:14 CEST
Oh, the dilemma...

No worries, I"ll listen to all the mixes at the same volume. So there is no advantage in mixing extra loud.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

LowlandsWave wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 02:10 CEST
This is gonna be a lot of fun and a challenge to mix. I always mess up the "guitar re-amping" :cry: . Like the song!! Thanx @JeroenZuiderwijk for providing the song! Eens kijken wat we hier van kunnen bakken ...
You are welcome, lets hope that there are more people with multitracks available and want to be song provider. Cheers!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Submissions until 21-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

ggibson1988 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 08:14 CEST
Oh, the dilemma...

I honestly don't know what you try to aim at here, and this can quickly turn into General Gossip territory. Rest assured, everyone has to adhere to the given, long known and well established loudness limits (new - see bundled TXTs). If somebody breaks that rule, the loudness/maximum signal strength needs to be fixed if your entry has been selected for Mix Round 2.

Your task is still to mix in such a way, that barely any aftertouches are needed in a possible follow-up mastering process (as in: proper fade in/out, loudness adjustments, safety limiting, encoding into a certain desired format). You can still make things feel loud, by being creative with your mixing and bus treatment (hint hint!!!). Just listen to Hard Rock/Alternative Rock mixes from that depicted/inspired by era (1990s). If you still have CDs from that time lying around, that would be even better since you can't trust Spotify, Apple Music or Youtube Music on that behalf. You'll notice that a lot of these CDs don't even scratch -15LUFS ILk, yet still sound larger than life.

And as @JeroenZuiderwijk mentioned, listening to all entries "Loudness Normalized" (as in: all on equal loudness) to not be influenced by loudness jumps, is a thing. A lot of Song Providers did that with recent games.

If there is a technical issue with the server or similar, please let me know. Otherwise...

Have fun mixing, and good luck.
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

Just having a look at the source files and I'm a bit confused by what's going on with the guitars. I've read the note explaining what's happening:

guitartrack 01 - rythm track with ampsim (no clean track available)
guitartrack 02 - rythm track DI
guitartrack 05 - rythm track, same as 02 with ampsim and reverb

guitartack 02 and 05 are both playing for the whole song (more or less) however 01 is only playing for three sections. So what's the actual part? Is 01 a double or should 02 and 05 be edited down to match 01?

I'm assuming that 02 and 05 are the main tracks (use one or both) and if so, what's the role of 01?

Also, guitar tracks 9 and 10 are listed as:

guitartrack 09 - lead track DI
Guitartrack 10 - lead track DI played a second time (double take)

but they appear to be rhythm tracks.

In general, this is no big deal, however it becomes more important in the case of Mix Challenge because we're not supposed to change the arrangement so we need to know which parts are "parts of the arrangement" and which are "optional extras".

Cheers!
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

cpsmusic wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 05:14 CEST
Hi All,

Just having a look at the source files and I'm a bit confused by what's going on with the guitars. I've read the note explaining what's happening:

guitartrack 01 - rythm track with ampsim (no clean track available)
guitartrack 02 - rythm track DI
guitartrack 05 - rythm track, same as 02 with ampsim and reverb

guitartack 02 and 05 are both playing for the whole song (more or less) however 01 is only playing for three sections. So what's the actual part? Is 01 a double or should 02 and 05 be edited down to match 01?

I'm assuming that 02 and 05 are the main tracks (use one or both) and if so, what's the role of 01?

Also, guitar tracks 9 and 10 are listed as:

guitartrack 09 - lead track DI
Guitartrack 10 - lead track DI played a second time (double take)

but they appear to be rhythm tracks.

In general, this is no big deal, however it becomes more important in the case of Mix Challenge because we're not supposed to change the arrangement so we need to know which parts are "parts of the arrangement" and which are "optional extras".

Cheers!
Guitartrack 01 is an extra layer for the chorus. You can use it to give the chorus more impact.
Guitartrack 09 and 10 are indeed rythm tracks, if I made a mistake in the documentation then I'm sorry for the confusion. We just recorded a lot of different tracks to experiment what we could do with it. In the end I blended all of those sounds together. If muliple guitartracks are playing the exact same thing you have the option to use them all or just a slection.

Jeroen
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

Hi everyone! I'll be the first, here's my take.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Va3eVP ... sp=sharing

Overall I Tried to maintain the raw energy of the song, punchy drums, in your face guitars, and a limited amount of reverb.

Drums, a few issues eqing the kick and the snare, lots of processing, saturation and aggressive compression (mostly on the snare)

Bass, Lots of distortion, and a 1k lift for more bark, also the original track have some time offset issues (fixable, you'll notice)

Guitars, a lot of reamping, eq, and saturation, I tried to give a different flavor to the verse guitar, kinda "nirvanish".
Also a little time correction in one pair of tracks.

In the lead guitar (the intro one) I used guitar rig 6 with wah-wah and skreamer, the result is kinda psychedelic, but I like it (reminds me of my favorite album from RHCP "One Hot Minute).

Vocals, subtle bandpass filter at 7k) compression, tape saturation, and a stereo dubler in the chorus.

AUX REVERBS: I used a room reverb for a more cohesive, "live" sound, and a new plate from airwindows "Kplate" that sound pretty good.

Good luck everyone.

Edit. I forgot the Gating, there is quite a lot on kick snare and rhythm guitars.
Last edited by PauPeu on Thu Apr 06, 2023 13:16 CEST, edited 1 time in total.