2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
SDB_12

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Winners announced

Post by SDB_12 »

Wow! Thank you for selecting my mix to be included in the winners circle! I feel honored :). I had a blast with this challenge and would like to thank everyone involved making this happen! Also a congrats to the other two winners!!!

Question, so if I choose the kilohearts bundle that was just added, do I have to select either multi pass OR snaphead? I’m a little confused on that one…?

Thanks!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

It is a bundle... so you get both, @SDB_12
d8bflup

Re: Feedback and top 15!

Post by d8bflup »

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 00:56 CEST

Hi Philippe!
I am listening to your mix right now hoping I find the right words to explain my comment better. One of the things with the drum in your mix is that there is very little sustain. That makes it sound what I call "clean". I don't mean that it needs reverb, It could be the compression setting. If you use a very fast release time you get more sustain. Or maybe it is because of the settings on the gate. There are lots of things that can add more rawness to the drum. The most dirt on the drumtracks I provided was present on the roommic I think. Smashing that track with aggressive compression and maybe some saturation or even distortion and mixing that in with the rest of the drum can give the drum lots of attitude. I am not sure if you have used the roommic in that way, but when I am listening to your mix it feels like the focus is mainly on the closemics (at least that is what I think I am hearing). I hope this helps to figure out what I meant by 'too friendly' ;-) and again, it is a matter of personal taste. Your drummix sounds very good but just not what I was looking for in this mix.

En graag gedaan!

Cheers
Jeroen
Jeroen,

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Your deduction is spot on. I did not use the room mic. Propably a habit from my live gigs, In a live setting, most of the time you are fighting the room acoustics, so you want to capture the driest sound possible. In my next studio mix, I will spend more time experimenting/working with the room mic(s)

cheers,

Philippe
SDB_12

Post by SDB_12 »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 22:20 CEST
It is a bundle... so you get both, @SDB_12
Excellent! Then I’ll do the Kiloheart bundle! Thanks again everyone, this was a lot of fun and I feel very honored :)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Alright, I have handled all 3 license requests.

Thank you, everyone. See you in the next game.
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

Congratulations to the winners! All of the three mixes are great!
Thanks again @JeroenZuiderwijk for this challenge. It was a joy to participate!
Necaster

Post by Necaster »

Huge congrats to the winners! You guys sound awesome!
It's a shame I missed several challenges. Promise to join ASAP.