2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Franz

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Mix Round 2 until until 09-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Franz »

BenjiRage,

Well, I clearly explained the drastic sound work I did on the snare tracks. In the passage of the bridge, in my V2,
I lowered the level of the guitars and the voices which accentuated the drums. Well, we all understood that you are
a drummer. so nothing escapes you on this side (although) but there, what are you looking for exactly?

Do you want to establish new rules because you can't follow the existing one? Changing a sound is not changing an
arrangement, where do you get this kind of invention from? By the way, do you know what an arrangement and a sound are?

Your negative vision seeking to systematically denigrate everything that does not go against your conceptions will totally
throw anarchy at Mix-Challenge. I can in no way congratulate you for this attitude. And I stay polite.

Franz
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Mix Round 2 until until 09-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay enough! Both of you, @BenjiRage and @Franz.

If anybody enforces the Rule Book, it is me. I don't want to see this type of bickering on this community, period! If that continues, I'll remove your posts without any further warning and put you both on time-out for at least 1 week. And after a repeat of the matter, a permanent ban. Do not test my patience!

I've just dug through the multi-tracks and listened and re-listened to the hyper-edited mix by Franz.

Where I do not(!) agree on, is the "change of sounds", even if it's a complete recreation of the arrangement. What I mean by that is, a possible "replacing the snare from the bridge section, with a snare from an earlier section". The Rule Book clearly forbids copying/moving parts unless otherwise stated. If that really happened (which was stated not to be the case).

And while there are legit concerns with the changed Snare Pitch... unless we actually see images or a video in terms of how this particular sound was created (again, Flux Ircam Trax could have a huge influence - including "pitch alterations", which isn't completely forbidden as part of the rules per se, it's a grey-zone topic, and I really can't cover every eventuality), we can only make assumptions and have to trust what was written in the documentation. I have to trust the participant's honesty on this one.

If anything, this entry is considered a "creative deviation" - something that the Song Provider is currently giving a chance to shine. Ultimately, the Song Provider has the final word. And if I can't catch Franz with using samples, his entry is still in the game.

So once more - end this argument!

:arrow_right: Including today, 4 days left for Mix Round 2.
So far, I have 4 edits on my HDD.
SDB_12

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Mix Round 2 until until 09-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by SDB_12 »

@JeroenZuiderwijk

Hi! Thanks so much for picking my mix to move on to round two, I’ve had so much fun mixing this song and look forward to diving back in! Congrats and good luck to everyone moving on :)

For some reason I’m not able to send a private message to Jeroen, it keeps getting stuck in my outbox. I’m wondering if I need to post my round 2 follow up questions publicly on the board?

Thanks!

Seth
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Mix Round 2 until until 09-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

If your PM is stuck in your outbox, then @JeroenZuiderwijk didn't read the message yet.

For the sake of interaction and the overall learning factor of the community, please (also) ask your questions for Mix Round 2 in public.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

SDB_12 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 08:15 CEST
@JeroenZuiderwijk

Hi! Thanks so much for picking my mix to move on to round two, I’ve had so much fun mixing this song and look forward to diving back in! Congrats and good luck to everyone moving on :)

For some reason I’m not able to send a private message to Jeroen, it keeps getting stuck in my outbox. I’m wondering if I need to post my round 2 follow up questions publicly on the board?

Thanks!

Seth
Hi Seth, I'm sorry I always forget I can receive private messages.

Jeroen
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Let me just say, in recent years the developers have created hitech plugins, that have the very purpose to blur the lines between recording and artificial sound creation. It starts already with the formant knob in the vocal tuning tool. Recently, a stunning vocoder came out, ok that's clearly in the realm of production.
But tools to reshape guitars, drums etc. have become so powerful one might not recognize the original signal any more.
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

Hi! here's my final mix.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5P8ia ... sp=sharing

I was more or less happy with the first mix but honestly it was a bit too much dirty (in the bad sense).

So Basically, I took my time finding and cutting ugly resonances, for example there was a very unpleasant one at 950hz. Once cleaned up, I reenforced the aggression with some eq and more saturation in a lot of tracks.

The guitar you mention on the notes @JeroenZuiderwijk , is true that it was a little bit off the mix, so I cleaned up the ugly frequencies (again, haha) and I distorted just a little bit more. I think it's solved now.

Well, thank you for the opportunity again. I think I gave my best shot with this final mix.

Good luck to all the final participants.
Mastemoth

Post by Mastemoth »

I thought I'd just drop in. I didn't have time to participate this time. I even pulled the files and set up to start the day of release. I'm bummed out because I loved the song. I got some time just now turn of month and I downloaded all the mixes. What's fun is that, I listened to all the mixes, not all the way through, and I disqualified all mixes that I felt had a lot of levelling issues. I generally put in 16 mixes at the same time and removed those I felt should go out. Then I filled those spots with other mixes and repeated this until getting through this. Even with this being very fast and maybe unfair because I don't listen through it was very interesting how different my top choices were against the provider's. And it shows that you shouldn't take this competition as being the best mixer but as being the best at interpreting what the provider wants. I like this aspect of the competition.

Also after listening through the mixes, cheating like I was, I'm extremely impressed by the provider's feedback and detail of the feedback. Gargantuan job there! Hats off! I've thought about supplying some old recordings/mixes for the competition but I really need to know I have the time to put in to judge everything fairly.

I saw the "sound replacement" discussion. Personally I don't mind if we were to be able to use samples but I also don't mind the rule that says we can't. I don't have a horse that race. I find it a bit peculiar that the mix in question misses the first, lower in volume, sidestick hit with "allegedly sampled sound" because it does sound like a "missed trigger point". Of course this could be explained with that the mixer forgot to hyper edit that hit.

Also thanks to Mr. Fox for putting the name template in the text file! Now I will never ever make a naming mistake again because of how I work!
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

Thanks to @JeroenZuiderwijk for voting my mix intro the second round. As you did not provide any hints where to go from here I just tried to edit my mix, which is a dangerous thing normally :)
I found some muddy build ups in the guitars and I was really jealous of @Franz's snare sound so I fiddled around in there a bit. Also the kick needed a bit more fine tuning to cut through the mix in the dense parts. The rest is the same as in my first version. So here we go, good luck everyone for round two!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dz5z9suckv21 ... 2.wav?dl=0
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Mastemoth wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 16:12 CEST

Also after listening through the mixes, cheating like I was, I'm extremely impressed by the provider's feedback and detail of the feedback. Gargantuan job there! Hats off! I've thought about supplying some old recordings/mixes for the competition but I really need to know I have the time to put in to judge everything fairly.

Thank you for the compliment! It was hard work but also fun to do and you can learn a lot from listening to the mixes and commenting on them.

About being songprovider, please do! You can always just comment on the TOP15 and I uderstood that the songpool is currently empty...would be a bad thing if we can't go on with this fantastic mix-challenge. For that matter, that goes for all the participants who read this, if you have multitracks available or know someone who does, consider being a songprovider!

Cheers,

Jeroen