2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 092 - June 2023

! Bonus Info
This month, you have the chance to work on a "Folk Rock" (Bluegrass) production by the band "Salige Syndere", kindly provided to us by Pål Solberg (@Naturecord). The song is called "Lord".

The song in question features instruments you might usually not have access to regarding mixing. Not only that, a big challenge will be, how you handle signal bleeding, as this was an "everyone in the studio" type recording, with additional overdubs and no click track.

This might prove to be quite the challenge - are you up to the task?!

Then please take special note of the attached TXT files in the Mix Pack. And please read about the details and special requirements for handling this mix further down below.

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" for the Mix Challenge regarding principles of the game, upload/submission guidelines, the concept of documenting your edits, and maximum allowed loudness values (see Rule Book - post #6)
  • The focus of this game is "mixing". Try to create a mix in your own style that complements this production and can stand on it's own, no matter the playback medium. Edit/Mix in such a way, that barely any after-touches other than proper fade in/out and finalizing for distribution (incl. loudness adjustments e.g. for release on Streaming, Vinyl, Tape, CD) is needed for a possible follow-up mastering step.
  • The "Mix Pack" and additional information for this months production can be found in in post #002
  • NEW AS OF MC091: Please consult the bundled TXTs for more info -- a sub-300 words TL;DR Rule Set is (now) part of the "Mix Pack"
  • Filename Template: MC092__Salige_Syndere__Lord__ForumUsername.wav
Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.
If you got any question, please also reach out on Discord

:arrow_right: MIX(ING) CHALLENGE THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, License Sponsors
Post #090 -- Mix Round 1 Statistics/Data Sheet: Overview of Submissions - is your entry within given parameters?
Post #146 -- Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Post #000 -- Mix Round 3: <optional>/<not happening this game>
Post #162-- Results: Winner announcement
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Submissions until 21-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Thursday, 01st June 2023 to Wednesday, 21st June 2023 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-JUN-2023, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord.

Song Provider: Salige Syndere (represented by @Naturecord )
Song Name and Length: Lord, 2:40 min
Song Information: N/A BPM / Signature: 4/4
File Format: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit

GENRE: Folk Rock (Bluegrass)

:arrow_right: Preview of the Song (Demo Mix):

phpBB [media]

Spotify release from 2023 can be found here

INFORMATION: This version might sound different from the provided multi-tracks. (edit 2023-JUN-01: in this case, significantly even -- the music video is from June 2020, while the recent album version is from May 2023. Unfortunately, there is no newer music video available)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: SOURCE FILES:

Main Mix Package - full package (423,09 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)
IMPORTANT NOTE: download window might show a smaller file size, file unavailable after 21-JUN-2023

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression (specs from 2015).
File size extracted: 743,62 MB, packed 423,09 MB (ZIP, LZMA)

In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs / apps:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A word from the song provider:
Naturecord wrote: For this production, we opted to capture the band playing together in the same room to create an energetic performance that is true to the bluegrass recording tradition. However, this approach presents significant bleed between the different microphones, which can make mixing challenging. We wanted all the musicians to see each other, so we did not have the luxury of separating the instruments as much as we would have liked.

Despite the bleed, we chose to work with it rather than against it, embracing the energy it created in the mix. However, this meant that balancing the levels of the individual instruments and managing the bleed is one of the biggest challenges in the mixing stage.

We have done our best to mitigate the phase issues between the microphones in the multi-tracks, but given the number of microphones in a small room, some adjustments may still be necessary

Overall, we believe that the final mix captures the energy and spirit of the band's performance and we hope that listeners will enjoy it as much as we did creating it.

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:

As of MC092 / June 2023, and for easier thread readability of the game thread, the "Words by the Mix Challenge staff" are now only part of the bundled TXTs of the Mix Pack. Please check out this text section as well for additional explanation and possible hints for this month's game.

Rule Summary:

More technical details are in the Mix Pack bundled TXTs. In there you can find the lyrics of the song (incl. a translation to English), more information about the individual files, possible changes to the time signature, and maybe even additional tips and tricks relevant to this production. Additionally a TL;DR Rule Set and, depending on the song provider's approval, an available "Off-site redistribution agreement" for a possible portfolio presentation.

Please consult the official Rules and Guidelines for a more detailed set of rules, including how to document your edits, maximum loudness values and delivery formats (see Rule Book - Post #6). Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):
Acon Digital, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, Kilohearts, Metric Halo, NOS Audio, NUGEN Audio and Tone2

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Dodgingrain

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Submissions until 21-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Dodgingrain »

There is a substantial tempo difference between the youtube video and the stems we have. Are we mixing this at the faster tempo? Its about 92 bpm in the youtube and around 110 in the original mix wav (assuming 4/4 even though its probably 2/2). Around 20+ seconds in difference in the length.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Submissions until 21-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

As pointed out in post #002:
Mister Fox wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 23:46 CEST
INFORMATION: This version might sound different from the provided multi-tracks.

This is but a demo! Notice that the arrangement is also slightly different. Unfortunately, there is no music video for the "recent" album version. Spotify can also (unfortunately) not be parsed on this forum.

You (always) base your mix upon the given multi-tracks, the provided demo mix in WAV form (see Mix Pack) and/or the official Spotify release.

You do not alter the overall tempo / bpm.
Naturecord

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Submissions until 21-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Naturecord »

The music video posted is a early version of the song streamed live.

The multitracks provided are from the recording of "Salige Syndere"`s recent album release"13" that can be found on streaming services.
Pål Isdahl Solberg
www.naturecord.no
dfixmusic

Post by dfixmusic »

Hi all!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn29id75dmj9j ... c.wav?dl=0

Originally made in manual dynamic processing of vocals. Because at the end the volume is too loud and the compressor would "kill" the dynamics

Easy equalization and compression on all instruments. I tried to keep the space and live dynamics of the track. Here it seemed more appropriate.
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

Hi Everybody, First of all, it is a pleasure to mix with well recorded tracks, it makes it easier, more fun and more efficient.

In this occasion I tried to make a more focused and dynamic mix than the released version.

In most of the tracks I used a pultec style eq with soft curves, and the bleeding issue was attended by eq filtering, trying to be gentle with the compression and attending presence with Frequency saturation.

I made some usual panning (not to drastic) with Banjo/guitar and Backing vocal tracks.

For a more "lively" component I used a room reverb (t-racks sunset studio in room mode) in an aux track (more noticed on the banjo).
Also I used a EMT 140 for the snare and vocals. Also a touch of lush reverb with Raum on the vocals (also aux). No delay or special effects for this occasion.

The main vox is the track more processed, I tried to maintain the dynamics stable by using different types of compression, and accentuate that "broken" style (reminds me of tom waits) by saturating quite a lot the mid frequencies. Then applied more transient information with transify.

With the bass I made a significant lift at 60hz and then stabilize it with compression.

Most important I automated the volume of the snare (a little to mechanic and monotonous for my taste) on the different sections of the track. The same with the guitar.

There's more to it, If you want more info, I'll be happy to share it.

Good luck to all participants, hope you enjoy the mix.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMce5h ... sp=sharing
TSTstudio

Post by TSTstudio »

I really like the song. :)
here is my take on it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-R-Q13 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by TSTstudio on Mon Jun 05, 2023 09:02 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
kombainera

Post by kombainera »

My take: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rp3ILP ... sp=sharing

So for me the raw tracks was pretty good recorded the bleeding was very little for so much instrument in a small room and not problem at all even oposit.My approach was just to balance the tracks and make sure that with little fixes here and there i dont ruin the performance.For the cahon i cut some boxines in one of the tracks and in cut some resonance 300 hz ish rest of the drums was little bit compression.For the bass i use soothe and imiter to control the low end.Guitars and banjo -just little bit brighness and comression again.Viola was a bit tricky for me to make it to sit right.Acordeon was pretty good recorded as well wich is not easy at all.I basicly try to balance guitar with the banjo and viola and the acordeon and spred them in the sound field.The main vocal i end up spiliting to 3 tracks cose it give me more control for each part then automatations.A lot boosted top end there.I kinda give it a "Luis Armstrong" ish vibe.The rest vocals was just balancing mostly.At the master buss i put just ssl style comp for 1-2 db glue and thats all.At some point i try to add some revurbs to banjo and viola and write some automations for them too but didnt like the result and wipe them.Hope to enjoy!
edwarkmonk

Post by edwarkmonk »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1Xnh6 ... sp=sharing

My goal was to providie high quality render of existing live performance, so turn out of maximum (musical) details what this recording contains.

Ok let's start from the vocal. I grouped it all and applied EQ, multiband comp and Wavesfactory Spectre on it.
Magnus vox - lots of small compression and saturation - NI VariComp, Soundtoys LittleRadiator, Decapitator, NI VC 2A, Pro-MB, AA Fetish and Spectre.
Backing voxes - Pro-q3, NI VC 2a, Pro-MB and decapitator
Choirs - EQ and JMG Expanse3D plugin for widen them up
Instruments (except bass and drums) baked into another group with Glue Ableton compressor and DMG Essence deesser (basically used as notch compressor for 3k region).
Guitar. And now it's interesting things about two microphones. They are in phase but there was some mud in the mid frequencies. After messed with EQ moves I didn't get any good result. Until I flipped phase of one of them. Viola, no mud and wider scene and still in the phase, just miracle. And then soothe and eq on one of them.
Banjo was recorded so low so let's bring it back to the mix with LittleRadiator, Expanse3D, Pro mb and soothe for taming just a bit. Still playing with panning of mics to create a proper sense of soundstage.
Banjo solo - no processing at all.
Violins got some Spectre, eq and Pro-mb and accordion almost the same processing. And then pan them left and right (violing group of mics).
Some extreme processings on the bass were been applied because it losted in the mix as usual. So the group got NI VC 2A, eq, Unfiltered Bass Mint for low content saturation, Pro-MB, Tracks Pultec, LittleRadiator, small sidechaing comp from the kick drum,
Also I filtered highly on of the mic and then applied DevilLoc for distortion and transients (pick).
All drum buss got Pro-MB, Spectre, SSL x saturator, Expanse 3d (just tiny bit) and DMG Essense (sometimes it works a way better than soothe which can basically EAT all the complex material due to FFT nature, watchout)
Then separate processing on the cajon and overheads and kick drum.
Lots of panning of cajon tracks and also Transient shaper on wires because they are long imo.
Overheads got soothe and eq. And then kick drum got Unfiltered bass mint and eq.
Masterbus - Tracks pultec - lows and hiend increased. Spectre for increasing more, Klanghelm DC8C3 for rarely glueing, Pro-mb, proq3 ultra low and high filtereing, DMG Essence, InflatorPackage (sonnox inflator diy copy, from github), BigClipper for catchin rarely peaks. Ableton utility - increasing wide and mono subbass at subwoofer crossover 80hz.

Youlean Meter shows -16.0 integrated and -2.7 peaks.