2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MASTERING CHALLENGE - MastC003 April 2018 - Winners announced

recurrence: on occasion (if audio material is available, 2 times a year max)
davemcisaac

Re: MASTERING CHALLENGE - MastC003 April 2018 - Submissions until 14-04-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by davemcisaac »

Just to clarify - I was not refusing to enter. I was just expressing my concern about entering another contest only to be lost in the void like the last two Mastering Challenges. But I don't want 3ee to be the one who pays the price for someone else's lack of timeliness. Enough said about that! :curse:

I kept this simple (a good mix doesn't need much):
1. There were two HF peaks that I tamed, along with tightening up the subs a bit with MDynamicEq
2. I used MDynamicsMB for multiband compression
3. I used MLimiterMB for limiting & boost
4. Followed by iZotope Ozone 7 Maximizer for final boost, TP limiting, & dithering

Mp3: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... 4KJpXjcmjV
Wav: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... t3WhgDUujk
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MASTERING CHALLENGE - MastC003 April 2018 - in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 15th April 2018, 4:32am GMT+2/CEST - Mastering Challenge 003 has officially ended

If I didn't miscount, we have 13 participants this month, 2 participants more than last challenge.
There has been been 0 submission after the deadline. I sadly have to give 1 warning to adhere to the rules.

That warning goes to vintage - please update your post and document your edits.
Thanks.

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (if you feel like doing so). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and the Winners Podium announcement.

Good luck to all participants.
3ee

Post by 3ee »

Downloaded all the tracks will get to evaluating shortly :) and hopefully will have the results in a couple of days..

---
I also played around some time ago with a "vaporwave-ish" master... kept it simple (no edits), just sound
Wanted to do another one but I'm pretty busy with work these days, so I kinda understand Mr. Fox's delay in evaluation :/

https://app.box.com/s/3b8lgyvq6v54hlfh8l2tj11fozygmijn
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

I think in retrospect in my vaporware remix I time stretched and I shouldn't have. Oh well, lesson learned, it was fun making it anyway.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
3ee

Post by 3ee »

^ that was the point, having fun! :D I really like the CD-like skips you did there..

-----

Oh boy! I thought this would be an easier job.. + I still have to provide feedback! :D
3ee

Post by 3ee »

quick update.... just to let you know I didn't forgot about this thread..

very difficult to choose at some point...
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Take your time for the evaluation - this is one of the most difficult challenges
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

All mastering challenges is the biggest delay challenges ever) Sorry, it's great idea but result is so sad for me
3ee

Post by 3ee »

Coiled_Ear wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 19:52 CEST
All mastering challenges is the biggest delay challenges ever) Sorry, it's great idea but result is so sad for me
you will understand once you have to judge one.. (+ have a busy work/life period)

I forced myself to make time for this, now I'm down to 6 entries, it shouldn't take much longer..

added: it's by far harder to judge this than the mixing contests.. even if you think the opposite might be true
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

3ee wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 13:55 CEST
Coiled_Ear wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 19:52 CEST
you will understand once you have to judge one.. (+ have a busy work/life period)

I forced myself to make time for this, now I'm down to 6 entries, it shouldn't take much longer..

added: it's by far harder to judge this than the mixing contests.. even if you think the opposite might be true
I'm certain Coiled Ear was only expressing the frustration of facing the possibility of yet another never-ending evaluation after seeing Mr. Fox's statement telling you to "take your time". Please don't take it personally. :grin: