2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Eight8

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Submissions until 21-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Eight8 »

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zei30zihcss01 ... 8.wav?dl=0

Hi!

Very cool to mix a Norwegian production. I am Norwegian as well :)

I used around 20 plugin instances on this entire mix. Mainly some EQ to remove a couple of unwanted frequencies. A touch of compression here and there, and some SSL 4K Console on a few tracks. On my mixbus I have Softube Bus Compressor, Bx_Digital for widening and overall EQ, and Oxford Inflator. Only one reverb, the UAD Hitsville Chamber, and on the lead vocal, Pulsar Echorec. The key for me was the find a good balance between each track, and then I did some automation on the lead vox. That's it!

Hope you like it!
floodo

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC092 June 2023 - Submissions until 21-JUN-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by floodo »

BEFORE STARTING USE AUTO ALIGN TO ALIGN ALL THE TRACKS

DRUMS:

KICK: I sent kick and sub to a bus, which I only lowered 3db on 63k,send to DRUM BUS.
cajun: after balancing to taste send everything to a bus, to which I put a gate and nothing else, send to DRUM BUS
OH: I sent to a bus I put a gate, I cut them at 850Hz and lowered 6db at 1.14k, send to DRUM BUS.
DRUM BUS: CUT AT 30HZ and -5db at 2.4khz, compress to taste, eq -2.8 at 360hz, pultec attenuation and boost at 30hz and a de esser.

BASS: Double the track in BASS and BASS dist.
BASS: compression between 3 and 5 db only between 0 and 200hz,send to BASS BUS
BASS DIST.: trim up to 200hz keeping only the bass, distort with decapitator and trim again to keep only the harmonics generated, send to BASS bus.
BASS BUS: apply some glue compression, unmask the kick and with pultec attenuate and enhance at 60hz.

GUITAR: Eq, compress, trim at 80hz and -3.4db at 360hz to leave that room for the banjo

BANJO: Eq and compress and trim at 118hz, and a slight increase in the frequencies I removed from the guitar.

VIOLIN: I removed a reverb that bothered me with deverberate, eq compression and cut at 100hz, also I lowered 6db in the 4k.

Accordion: 148hz clipping and compression

BG: send all the choirs to a bus to treat them equally, EQ a little, trim at 174hz, -3db at 340 and -6db at 4k, the Magnus voice I applied bitcrusher and lowered it to 8 bit to accentuate the raspy voice.

VOICES: to the 3 voices I equalized, compressed and cut noise frequencies and sent them to a bus to which I used glue compression, a gate and nothing else.

Effects: to a different extent I used a room, a medium hall, a long hall, a plate and a slap delay, and for the bg I sent them to a channel with a doubler and wider.

MIXBUS: multiband compression, lindel 80 bus, ssl fusion stereo, emulation of the massive applying some psychoacoustics, a little increase in brightness from 18k with coralbaxter, glue compression, attenuation and enhancement with titan acoustics at 30hz, remove harsh, with ssl x-eq clipping at 25hz and at 19k, sides clipping at 100hz and at 16k, remove resonances with mastering the mix reso, and finally rooster magnetite.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

my mix --> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C2GVMs ... sp=sharing
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Thank you @Naturecord for providing the song. I've missed mixing an "off-the-floor" recording. Thank you @Mister Fox for keeping things together.

Here's my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c_pHbe ... sp=sharing

The objective was to increase enough separation between tracks to enhance depth and clarity.

Most of the tracks were hi-passed, some even low-passed.
All percussions were phase-aligned!
The hierarchy also illustrates the routing. I hope it's clear enough.

MASTER BUS; eq, comp, limiter

PERCROOM
ALLPERC; finishing eq
-PERCPAR; compressor
-PERC; eq and compression
--CAJUN414; eq
--CAJUNM160; eq
--CAJUN57; eq and transient controller
--DI STOMP TRIGGER; eq
--STOMPBOX; eq
-OH; eq and de-esser
--OHL; eq
--OHR; eq

BASS; eq, multi-band comp, compressor
-BASSROYER; expander, eq
-BASSU47; expander, eq

ACCORDION; eq

ALLFID; comp
-SHORTPLATE
-PLATE
--FIDBRAU A
--FIDROYER B
--FIDBRAU A
--FIDROYER B

BANJO; eq, transient controller, comp, eq
--BANJO BRAUNER; eq
--BANJO AKG; eq
--BANJO SOLO BRAUNER; eq
--BANJO SOLO AKG; eq
-SPRING

GTR; transient controller, eq
-GTR87; eq, de-esser
-GTRAKG; eq, de-esser

BGV; eq, comp
-ANGEL; goyo voice separator
-MAGNUS; goyo voice separator
-MARIANNE; goyo voice separator

LV; pre-amp, eq
-LVPLATE
--MAGNUS; goyo voice separator, comp, eq, de-esser
-SHORTPLATE
-BGV PARALLEL
--ANGEL; goyo voice separator, eq
--MARIANNE; goyo voice separator, eq
Barry M

Post by Barry M »

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 03:43 CEST
Barry M wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 22:57 CEST
My first time participating in these challenges and really enjoyed the source.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pZYmDC ... drive_link
Hey Barry, I just tried listening to your mix and Google gave me an error saying "user authentication failed". You might want to make sure you have your link set to public "any one with link can view" .

Best regards.
Thanks for the heads up, I've just started using google drive :tu:

Hopefully it's fixed now.
ari5to5

Post by ari5to5 »

Hi,

my mix here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wSnItg ... sp=sharing

my comments:

cajun treated as a group - no eq on individual tracks only on bus, saturation on Cajun triggerd snare wire
stompbox (both di and triggered) treated as a group - transient designer/eq/clip
bass - both tracks grouped and treated with eq/compression/compression and dynamic eq
all other instruments grouped and eq'ed, saturated, widened and sidechain-compressed (vox)
gtr: eq - transient enhancement
accordion: saturation
banjo: eq
vocals:
BV: grouped and treated with eq/ limiter/ widening / dynamic control of harshness
MV: compression / eq
RayK25

Post by RayK25 »

Thanks to all the staff and artists involved for allowing this great forum to be what it is.

All tracks were used. After thoroughly inspecting for phase, minor corrections were made where needed.
Mics were blended to generate full tone. Most processing was administered at buss levels in attempt to maintain phase stability.

Typical compression and some high pass eq was made as needed throughout.
Minor multi-band compression and limiting used on instrument buss.
Care was taken to avoid unnatural coloring.

Light dose of side chain, 'crush' compression on percussion.

Some additional high pass eq on side channels to keep bass centered and clean up the sides.
Primarily stock plugins. TDR Slick EQ and NOVA used on instrument and percussion buss.
Processing overall was kept to a minimum.

A few instances of automation.

-RayK25:
https://mega.nz/file/V7hE3bzC#lEfamR3N4 ... 0U131Q5GbY
sthauge
Backer
Backer

Post by sthauge »

Hi

Thank you for the opportunity to mix these tracks and very nice that it's a song from a Norwegian band.

As an oldtimer, I'm going for the sound of the past, with dept, air and space. I'm not quite familiar with the genre, hope it's about how it should sound. It's also mixed so it should sound more of a live session.

To achieve this, no masterbus compression above the lows are used so needed transients are preserved. Other compression are parallel compression to emphasis the transients and bring more dynamic and life into the mix.

With Mixbus32C(DAW) most needed functions are included in the channelstrips and mixbuses, so few plugins are added. Some "character" plugins that controls the overtones, a free reverb(Mverb) and couple bus EQs.

Steinar

MC092__Salige_Syndere__Lord__Sthauge.wav

WAV, 48kHz, 24bit
-16,5 LUFS
-1,4 dBTP
Harrison Mixbus 10.0 Pro, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.11, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

Hello all,

My Mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N6Ti3U ... sp=sharing.

Thank you for sharing the tracks. Great song and great energy. I enjoyed mixing this song.

The key is to preserve the energy and control the bleeds. The hardest thing is to make the vocal articulate and cut thru all the bleeds for me. All effort are geared toward that goal.

An EQ and a compressor in every track.
M/S on the master bus to widen the stereo spectrum.
viklundorama

Post by viklundorama »

Hello!

Thank you for sharing a fun track to work with I have really enjoyed it.
My aim was to keep the energy in the room going making sure that all instruments have its own place and bringing interesting things up front when needed without getting in the way of the vocals. The main work has been with EQ, panning, levels and compression and some reverb and delays. The main vocals ended up with some slapback.

My mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmUZIM ... sp=sharing
simola

Post by simola »

Hi!

Tried to maintain the organic feeling of the acoustic instruments with some separation while maintaining a sense that everyone plays in the same room. So I tried to avoid overprocessing things and not sound plastic.

The song was mixed mainly with Cubase stock plugins. BX_townhouse bus compression in the master bus to get -1 to -2 db gain reduction.

Integrated = -16.19 LUFS

Here is my mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CPHYXt ... share_link