2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC093 August 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC093 August 2023 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by scottfitz »

Something I've learnt on this challenge and on other recent projects is: don't try too hard to make something sound different to how it was recorded. Like on this recording, I heard the drums and decided abruptly that the kick 'didn't have much low end' and so set about making it into a gigantic booming low kick. All this achieved was then ruining the balance that the band played with, all their musicianship to make the tones of their instruments sing together was steamrolled over so that I could get to hear my big kick. Then you start to realise that although tonally the kick is more like what I'd hoped, that the audio doesn't quite move in the way that a lower kick would, it sounds weird so then I would need further processing to tighten it up. In the end if a band records with a smaller drum, then enjoy what is nice about that drum and forget about some personal desire that it was bigger.

It's tricky because some of my desires are good for mixing - give the sound more clarity, make the balance between the frequencies more even, try to get the emotion in the song to come across. Other desires need to be set aside, things like 'I'd have liked a bigger kick drum'. I guess you could summarise this by saying work with the band on what they were trying to achieve, rather than to question their sounds and trying to change aspects.

cheers all.
RayK25

Post by RayK25 »

Well said scottifitz, completely agree. Also, I believe if that condenser mic wasn't on the kick it could have changed the overall perception. It's often interesting how decisions made during the tracking session can drive mixing decisions and affect the overall direction. Also, for me the tracking session on this one was very good to excellent. There were some background things to remove but overall very solid tracking IMO.
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

I’ve learnt that you don’t have to hit the big red button and try and make everything as loud as you possibly can. I’ve been going back through this mix and found that if I start going quieter and give room for everything to be there things get more interesting. The background sounds start to appear and make sense in their context and timing.
I got to this point when I was revisiting how to bring the backing vocals into the mix and then realising that everything else was going to have to go down a little to support them and then it’s like “wow, where did that synth sound come from?”.

I found myself listening to Radiohead’s OK Computer for the first time in years and then everything changed.

Mix balance - it’s all relative.

Really, green is good in meter land and one should really leave one’s ego at the door.
trackerjack

Post by trackerjack »

Hear, hear!
Last edited by trackerjack on Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:06 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

A question: if we don’t get through to the next round would it be considered ok to post a mix for feedback purposes? As part of the general conversation. If this is interfering with the game flow then I understand and I wouldn’t do it. Just thought I’d ask.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC093 August 2023 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

You could do that, sure.

However, please wait until Mix Round 2 has started, and then also clearly mark that your entry is "out of competition", to not influence the general flow of the game.
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

Cool.

I want to be respectful of the game. Hopefully, my next track post is actually for round 2.
jeffssoloband

Post by jeffssoloband »

1ktone wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 07:28 CEST
Cool.

I want to be respectful of the game. Hopefully, my next track post is actually for round 2.
Pretty impressive for an iPad mix :tu:
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

jeffssoloband wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 19:07 CEST
1ktone wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 07:28 CEST
Cool.

Pretty impressive for an iPad mix :tu:
Thanks for your feedback. That little beast is quite powerful these days.
I had a listen back to it yesterday and thought it grabs the emotional impact I was looking for.

I liked your mix. I noticed you mentioned the piano - It’s the near piano track that’s a little whacky. But, the phase thing actually makes the piano sound nicer in stereo. It presented an interesting challenge.

Did you find yourself riding the drum levels much during the course of the song? If the compression level is right it seems to stick, but there are some large dynamic differences especially when you get into the angels part.

The backing vocals to me are the challenging part of this mix. Getting them to sound nice, strong and special throughout.
45Garage

Post by 45Garage »

Once the competition is over would I be able to use my mix on a resume? As in could I post it publicly as an example? My apologies if this is mentioned in the rules and I glossed over it.