2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
VCA-089

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Submissions until 24-DEC-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by VCA-089 »

phpBB [media]

WAV | FLAC | MP3

"These colorful lights, an attribute of a really special season where you feel cold and warm at the same time, brings back memories from your childhood..."

One of my recent experiments in making lo-fi chillout music is now put in the right context. I still experiment with those sounds, so you may tell me if there is too much processing.

Instruments & techniques:

1. Drums are stock FL Studio loop slowed down and processed with delays, filters and cassette emulation;
2. Additional percussion comes from "Bucket Pops" vintage rhythm machine emulation from Full Bucket;
3. The main synth parts (bass, bells and unison lead) made with U-He's "Repro-5";
4. The synth arpeggio and noise texture comes from newly released Cherry Audio's "Synthesizer Expander Module";
5. The synth strings are "Oxid" from Full Bucket;
6. The FM bell sound in the outro made with "VirtualCZ";
7. A few samples from free 99Sounds libraries (reversed cymbal and chimes);
8. Eventide's "Blackhole" is used as a main reverb send.
9. All tracks including master processed with Wavesfactory "Cassette" tape emulation.

Technical information
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by VCA-089 on Mon Dec 25, 2023 09:17 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Incognita

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Submissions until 24-DEC-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Lady Incognita »

VCA-089 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:27 CET
"These colorful lights, an attribute of a really special season where you feel cold and warm at the same time, brings back memories from your childhood..."
One of my recent experiments in making lo-fi chillout music is now put in the right context. I still experiment with those sounds, so you may tell me if there is too much processing.
Very lovely textures and spacey instrumental lines. My only suggestion is a personal preference: I'd like to hear the melodic lines (the ones that I think start around 1:30) a little louder, so the ear can latch on to them over the underlying textural/noise layers and through the main lead later on. I wouldn't mind the thicker textural/noise layers dialed down just a tad for the same reason. This was a nice immersive textured soundscape! 👍
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

WIP SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Submissions until 24-DEC-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Hi all,

it's been a while since I last participated in the SWC. I was writing a lot of music lately and the theme this month gave me inspiration for a new track. I wrote this song totally in SunVox, this is an amazing musical tool for creating songs and sounds that I recently discovered. The nice thing about Sunvox is that I am not busy with mixing details. Mostly because mixing in this program is not straightforward....it has no mixer to begin with (so mixing needs some extra work for this track.....). I would recomment everybody to check it out...it's free (unless you use it on an Android system). I really like trackersoftware, it is for me a very fast and intuitive way of writing music. For this months challenge it started with a synth sound I created in SunVox with lots of distorion, delay/echo....as if the sound is clipping...that is intentional, I like that weird broken-down sound. The rest (piano / beat) evolved around it. This is a W.I.P. ....needs some more work.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahp8xH6KRIfbgwL_Ujt ... 8?e=1ywAO3

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Jeroen
colorado weeks
Backer
Backer

Post by colorado weeks »

hi everyone!

here's my (WIP) track for this month's SWC. it's a little ditty called "LEDs." nothing like a little heartbreak for the holidays!

phpBB [media]

download (mp3)

edit: adjusted vocal levels, bumped up drums, added a bit more delay to vocals

lyrics:
► Show Spoiler
track information:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by colorado weeks on Fri Dec 22, 2023 02:42 CET, edited 1 time in total.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Lady Incognita wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 05:26 CET
... Hope it helps. 😊
I found your comments very helpful.

Here are the changes I made for the final version:
  • adjusted the loudness of the toms of the drum
  • adjusted the timing and velocity of the horns and the clarinet
  • added some more vibrato to the clarinet
  • split the horns track in two, one for the melody part and one for the background chords
  • made the melody horns a little louder
  • added some saturation to all the instruments with the Softube Saturation Knob
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Submissions until 24-DEC-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 5 entries, and already plenty of interaction. Please keep it up!

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song. Please also remember, vocals are not mandatory -- instrumentals are just as welcome.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
merci ferdi

Post by merci ferdi »

colorado weeks wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 05:10 CET
hi everyone!

here's my (WIP) track for this month's SWC. it's a little ditty called "LEDs." nothing like a little heartbreak for the holidays!

phpBB [media]

download (mp3)

lyrics:
► Show Spoiler
track information:
► Show Spoiler
it's very cool! I really like the atmosphere.
I think the kick and snare are a little too low-key and lack impact; adding a compressor and/or another kick and snare with a lower register could improve things (I like it when the drums hit hard ahah).
you could also add some delay to certain parts of your melody, to add movement
you could also try changing the rhythm of your bass (which works really well as it is) but again, with the aim of adding movement
In any case, the melodies work really well!
merci ferdi

Post by merci ferdi »

hello everyone, I'm new here!
here's what I've done so far:
https://on.soundcloud.com/sM9T8

i'd like to know what you think, do you feel the light through the music even if the lyrics are in french?

i used roland's srx keyboard, rc 20 retro color, valhalla plugins, fabfilter pro c 2 and pro ds, halftime, little alterboy, rx9 mouth de-click and drum sounds from lots of different drumkits.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

KukoBass wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 09:20 CET
Hello fellow contestants,

this is my entry for this month's competition:

The WAV-version is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1onMwnk ... drive_link

I was inspired by the picture for the challenge and also by the time of year.
It is a simple but hopefully memorable song. My goal was to write a melody you can easily hum along the day after you heard it.

Now that is cool, a proper Christmas song. I was thinking about that...but decided to go another route. But well done!
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

VCA-089 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:27 CET
It is a beautiful soundscape. The only thing that feels off for me is the intro, because it sounds like an intro to a different song. I'd think the song would be better starting right off with the part around 0:48.