2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
1ktone

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by 1ktone »

Hi,

Thanks for the great track to mix. This was a lot of fun to play around with.

Here’s the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/optn5b2z ... 1afo4&dl=0

i decided in this challenge that I would aim to mix as close to 16lufs and the -1.0 dbTP peak that I could. I also wanted to make sure I kept the transients in the mix without overly compressing things. Usually, I’m probably mixing closer to 18 lufs in this comp. Pretty happy with the result. Youlean Loudness Meter gave me 16.1 lufs -1.0 dbTP peak. The DAW was Logic Pro. I just want to say here before going further that what I found mixing with the LUFS level as my target is that I found the natural fades in and out of the arrangement began to slot in really well without me having to create automation to make the levels work. Probably helps that the arrangement is as solid as it is to begin with.

On the master buss I inserted a DDMF magic death eye stereo compressor set up with a medium attack on the number 3 setting. it was sitting around 1 db of gain reduction just to hold things in a little and to help to keep things tight. I added a little EQ to adjust the mid range and get it sounding right using an instance of the Toneboosters EQ and then an instance of FabFilter Pro L2 to catch any runaway peaks.

Over the entire mix I used a lot of FabFilter Volcano for the filter characteristics to boost and vibe the mid range elements like the synths, strings and choir sounds. I particularly found the metal and raw settings useful.
With the kick I kept it simple with a little EQ and compression.
The hats had an instance of Tube Burner placed on them with compression and EQ.
The ride had an instance of volcano 3 using the metal setting on the filter and an instance of CHOW DSP’s BYOD
with the Big Muff setting. I liked the vibe so it stayed.

The rest of the tracks had mixes of stereo delays, spatializer, Stereo Spread, Tonebusters EQ and Compressor, WOOTT, Hilda, Tape Delay, I used a bit of reverb as an FX send to blend different elements of the mix in there.

I’ve discovered recently that I like the Toneboosters Equalizer a lot. Probably a bit more than the FabFilter EQ3. I know they are slightly different beasts, but I’ve found the characteristics of the TB EQ to just sound a little nicer in general mixing situations.

Happy to add further detail if anyone is interested. Good luck to all. I hope you enjoy the listen.
Last edited by 1ktone on Wed Feb 21, 2024 08:22 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Mr sj

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mr sj »

Hello
Thank you for this challenge

LINK MY MIX :

https://file.io/myWPLKX3rPMN
Mr sj

Post by Mr sj »

Hello
Thank you for this challenge

LINK MY MIX :
https://file.io/myWPLKX3rPMN
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Song Provider: Mark II (represented by @Jorgeelalto )

Thank you @Jorgeelalto and Mark II for providing your song.

Thank you Mr Fox for keeping the games alive. You provide an invaluable resource.

This was definitely out of my comfort zone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TY-SIT ... sp=sharing

KICK PUNCH: helios punch, eq
KICK TAIL: eq
HATS MIXED: eq, saturation
REV KICK: no processing
SNARE: eq
RIDE: eq
PERCS: eq
TOPS: eq
LEAD: saturation
STAB: no processing
VOCAL: no processing but added mono plate
FX 1 & 2: eq, saturation
SYNTHS: saturation, soothe, eq
REECE and ATOMS: no processing
STRINGS: saturation
CHOIR: saturation
BASS: hipass, flange, spectre
SEQUENCERS: dopamine, eq, spiff, nugen monofilter, saturation
2BUS: eq, compressor, limiter, saturation
Mac So

Post by Mac So »

Hello guys, I'm back with new mix after more than a year absence :)

I just tried to make a mix that is as clean and punchy as possible.
Maybe less creative, more technical I guess. I think it sounds very balanced and that was my aim.
Probably only limiter is needed to make it release ready. Nothing fancy used, some eq's, compressors etc. I adjusted the kick length as I think it was a bit long and boomy.

Anyway, I hope you'll like it, enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Spy62d ... sp=sharing
Gius

Post by Gius »

MC096__Mark_II__Memorization__Gius

https://mega.nz/folder/Y3AVWJiZ#25v7D178QNwJhp6UDYAVbA

(There is a HQ WAV and an mp3 for preview)

I mixed in Ableton Live, a bit in a rush, in a good way, and was happy with the results. Then the classic self-doubt when referencing the original, but I decided to go with this version. Exporting time is not decision time. Doubts come at that stage of the process :wink:

From "top to bottom":
- the mixbus has only eq, a touch of saturation from a pultec, and the god particle without the limiter engaged which comes down to its stereo widening and a touch of multiband compression.
- three main groups/busses: Drums, Bass, and Music, each one with eq and saturation
- a main parallel bus (sort of Andrew Scheps "Rearbus") which gives cohesion to the whole and keeps dominant instruments.. well.. dominant, ducking everything else when they play.
- Tracks in the session are grouped by type of sound: bass, kicks, snares, hats and cymbals, percussions, music elements like main synths and accent synths, and the vocal track.
- Pretty much every track has been eq'd, stereo splitted with waves xSplit Eq or similar devices (which "pan" some frequencies on different sides, which I think is a more mono-compatible way to do this than other stereo widening techniques) or using pancake for auto-panning.
- Sidechaining most bass and music tracks to the kick with soothe.
- Drums also has 3 parallel tracks, 1 for kick and snares, 2 other for groups of drum tracks.
- the voice has a parallel pitch/formant shifted double to give it a touch of alien feeling. A pity that there was a lot of music in the voice sample so I had to keep it a touch quieter than what I would have.
- some automations: volume, track panning that changes over time, the main stereo widening on the mixbus changes to give different sizes to the song sections or to keep things changing subtly.

I've done a screen recording where I share the session

https://youtu.be/sMSezsFrQ4w
(private/unlisted)

ps. I hope I'm submitting properly. It's my first time :hail: :smile:

Thanks for the music!
Last edited by Gius on Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:43 CET, edited 2 times in total.
Davri

Post by Davri »

This is the link to my mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KhvXEs ... sp=sharing
My approach to this mix is to give the Kick and the bass element kind of movement, and to use the other elements in the mix to expand in terms of Stereo field and dynamics. I sidechained a bunch of the tracks that where getting on the way of the Kick and i brought mids in front.
Finally, I worked on little details here and there,trying to give more personality to the mix. I only mixed in headphones and listened in another pair.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your mix.

So far, we have 34 entries (compared to 95 Mix Pack downloads).

If you've been sitting on your mix, now is the time to get everything sorted out, post both your link and documentation. Do not forget the deadline. And please triple check that everything is in order (file format, signal strength, accessibility, filename template).

Please pay attention to detail. Do not put your entry at risk of being disqualified.
Your submission is final !

There will be no deadline extension!
luisrudman

Post by luisrudman »

Hi good evening everyone, I'm just an amateur guy with audio mixing hobbie. I hope you like this mix, if was fun for me. In here I balance all the tracks so we can hear a little bit of all. I apply compresion to (kick, bass, and some synths) Also some EQs not everywhere because I like the sound that the tracks already have (The original mix, for my is awesome). I use PinPong delay on the FX tracks and on the end of the verse. And on the MixBus I use Saturator and a Chamber FX.

Here's the link
luisrudman's mix

I hope I dont get disqualified about the LUFS because Im not good on it... LOL!!! Well thanks and waiting feedbacks. :headscratch: