2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Voting until 01-MAY-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
APi_ZZ

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Submissions until 24-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by APi_ZZ »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 00:38 CEST
It's a start, yes...

Have you ever considered maybe "upgrading" your music equipment? From Magix Music Maker to maybe "Essentials" versions of Cubase, Studio One or even Reaper? And even if you don't want to switch DAWs, Magix Music Maker can apparently load custom VST plugins.
Oh, uh, I misplaced that "just" when telling my equipment ... this just was/is just meant for the setup of this competition SWC080.

And, yes, Music Maker surely can load VST and VST3. I have and occasionally use instruments from NI, Decent Sampler, 8dio, Sample Science, Redtron, Tone2 [-ehemm- my win from SWC078] and effects from (again) NI, iZotope, Plugin Alliance, Plugin Boutique, NuGen ...
But then I have the spleen that a good (whatever that means) track is made more by composition than by applying clever production measures.
And I know that there are millions of producer courses out there telling different. :wink:

Andreas (APi_ZZ)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Submissions until 24-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 1 entry and with some feedback and additional interaction.

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 7 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

To those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
bpackard

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Submissions until 24-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by bpackard »

SWC080
bpackard (BPACK)
Title: Framework

(TL;DR) This is a spooky, trailerish track with a bunch of metal hits and bits.

Hi, y’all! Been a while.

BPACK is the name I use to release my tracks. Not sure if I can change my username here, but I didn’t want to take any chances and cause confusion when submitting.

I’ve been working on writing in different genres for the past couple of years with the emphasis on short tracks for sync. By “working” I mean preparing. I’ve submitted zero tracks to publishers as I feel my writing and production still needs work. In the meantime, challenges like this really help with getting good feedback. It’s also a lot of fun.

Inspiration: Scaffold
The first thing I thought was metal percussion and warehouse ambience.

The Track: Framework

I searched everything I owned for any kind of metal hits, scrapes, and things in that realm. After writing several different rhythms and motifs, I was getting nowhere so I tried something I should have been doing all along, conceptualizing. What would the vibe be for a sketchy workspace with scaffolding? What would the average work day be like, sound like? From there I got my “framework.”

I went with a three-act structure similar to a trailer cue. (Intro, ACT I, II, III, outro)

Intro: Set mood, establish space. Workers have entered the site. It ended up being spooky lol. I leaned into it.

ACT I:Increase intensity a bit and set a rhythm (spiccato strings), work has begun.

ACT II: Lunch Break! The key changes to major. Workers are outside, it’s peaceful. There’s a breeze but they know they have to go back to finish the day. Like most lunch breaks, ACT II is short.

ACT III: Finish strong, maybe even a bit angry because, you know, it’s a spooky warehouse and now there’s some ghost lady singing. Lol.

Outro: Basic bookend/button ending but with what I tried to represent as the door closing. I used a metal door slam trailer hit but I had to high pass the cr*p out of it then drown it in room to get it to play nice. It works, but It doesn’t really sound like a door anymore.

*UPDATE*

Remixed to get more clarity and balance with a bit more panning in the lows and mids. Brought up levels on the percussion and brass elements I liked most.
62 Tracks (I had to put a lot of impacts and stuff on separate tracks to avoid a ridiculous amount of automation)

Google Drive Link (original): SWC080__bpackard__Framework.wav

Google Drive Link (revision 2 final release): SWC080__bpackard__Framework

Used in this track:
► Show Spoiler
 ! Bonus Info
The Key is non-diatonic, but it sits in Gm for a good bit. To bring out a more cinematic/epic vibe I used chromatic mediants. In this case Gm/Bm/Dm and an F#7 for tension. The "lunch break" happy ACT II goes to G major, but lydian to give it that floating feeling
Last edited by bpackard on Wed Apr 24, 2024 15:45 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
APi_ZZ

Post by APi_ZZ »

@bpackard

Impressive track! Think of making it downloadable (according to competition rules) ... :!:

Andreas (APi_ZZ)
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

APi_ZZ wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 23:24 CEST
You are right, especially the strings come along way to harsh. I replaced the legato strings with some having less attack, and the spizzicatos got an ambient envelope (that is an FX setting my DAW Music Maker offers for vocals).

My equipment just is Music Maker as DAW, running on a PC with Win10. All MIDI instruments are from the DAW's repertoire, that is MAGIX and (mostly) their VITA instruments. The loops are from the DAW as well, this time from the sound pool.

I hope these info help a bit ... :smile:
I really like the first transition you do. The track carries along with a chill vibe. Over all the balance I feel is good.
For the strings, a small attenuation around 5-6k should smooth them out. I like the "air" they have in the 10-15k area, I wouldn't touch that. 5k seems to be the high boost of choice for many samples out of the box (especially percussion). It's fine most of the time, but if too many elements pound that frequency range, it could get a bit irritating for the listener. Too many elements hitting 6k and things enter "scratchy" territory. Your track doesn't quite enter those potentially troublesome areas but definitely something to remember to tame "digital tops."

The bass elements got to be a little hot for me, but I think it's because I listened a bit too loud. Gonna give it another listen. Cool tune!
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

APi_ZZ wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 08:20 CEST
@bpackard

Impressive track! Think of making it downloadable (according to competition rules) ... :!:

Andreas (APi_ZZ)
Thanks! I just asked this in discord, Thanks for the heads up. I suppose I can add the google drive link to my original post?
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

bpackard wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 08:36 CEST
APi_ZZ wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 08:20 CEST
@bpackard

Andreas (APi_ZZ)
Thanks! I just asked this in discord, Thanks for the heads up. I suppose I can add the google drive link to my original post?
I believe it's all sorted, hopefulle :shock:
APi_ZZ

Post by APi_ZZ »

@bpackard

The easiest way is (or would have been) to go to your Soundcloud track, go to Edit there, from the menu (Basic info / Metadata / Permissions / Advanced) pick Permissions, and there enable the direct download option ...

Andreas (APi_ZZ)
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

APi_ZZ wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 09:09 CEST
@bpackard

The easiest way is (or would have been) to go to your Soundcloud track, go to Edit there, from the menu (Basic info / Metadata / Permissions / Advanced) pick Permissions, and there enable the direct download option ...

Andreas (APi_ZZ)
Thanks! Went ahead and enabled it there as well.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Submissions until 24-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 2 entries, and some interaction. Please keep it up!

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 to 4 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song. Please also remember, vocals are not mandatory -- instrumentals are just as welcome.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu: