2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - results in preparation

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Submissions until 24-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Arelem »

Hello Everyone,

For this month, I started out thinking about the prompt which led me to write some lyrics about a cyclical toxic relationship in which things were 'built up' just to be 'torn down'. I then used that to inform the intro and the breakdown in the middle of the song. However, I never was happy with how the vocals sounded (a symptom of me hating my own voice), and so I scrapped them. So ironically, the piece that most directly relates to the prompt is no longer featured in the song, but it was the initial inspiration for it. Anyway, I have been really into the mid-tempo inspired genres and also I've been having a lot of fun sound designing my own basses instead of relying on presets. So I present to you all my song 'Torn Down'.

► Show Spoiler
bpackard

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Submissions until 24-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by bpackard »

Arelem wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 04:41 CEST
I have been really into the mid-tempo inspired genres and also I've been having a lot of fun sound designing my own basses instead of relying on presets.
Man, that bass is so good, well done.The whole track is ear candy, actually. The reprise of the melody at the end with the whole panned alarm thing was really cool. There's not much that sticks out to me as far as improvements. Maybe tame the highs a bit? IDK.

If you're not doing the sync thing, you should.
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

bpackard wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 09:20 CEST

Man, that bass is so good, well done.The whole track is ear candy, actually. The reprise of the melody at the end with the whole panned alarm thing was really cool. There's not much that sticks out to me as far as improvements. Maybe tame the highs a bit? IDK.

If you're not doing the sync thing, you should.
What is the sync thing? Appreciate the kind words, glad you like it ☺️
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

Arelem wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 21:39 CEST
Sync licensing is basically submitting music to libraries/publishers that work with visual media like TV, Movies, Video games etc. If an editor picks your track (or even a portion of the track) to "sync" to the media, you get paid for the license (front end pay) as well as royalties when the media plays (backend pay.)

There's a lot more to it, but that's the nuts & bolts of it.
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

bpackard wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 01:01 CEST
Arelem wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 21:39 CEST
Sync licensing is basically submitting music to libraries/publishers that work with visual media like TV, Movies, Video games etc. If an editor picks your track (or even a portion of the track) to "sync" to the media, you get paid for the license (front end pay) as well as royalties when the media plays (backend pay.)

There's a lot more to it, but that's the nuts & bolts of it.
Ah, ok. No, I just make music as a hobby :shrug:
Crosshatched

Post by Crosshatched »

Frame for Nothing

https://soundcloud.com/g-jardine/swc080 ... or-nothing

track built on 28 seconds of loop
sorry, I didn't improv an acoustic melody over the top of the soft synths! so I can't claim this is a 'scaffold' or base for that. (I fantasized about doing so... but arranging songs is simply too much already)

Cakewalk, Surge, Synth1, Pianoteq, and some effects. I have a few more details in the Soundcloud link...
Rafitown

Post by Rafitown »

Updated 24/04/2024:

Here's my final version: ScaffoldThemeByRafitown

I'm sorry I can't just replace the soundcloud one.

Update details:
► Show Spoiler
Original message:
► Show Spoiler
This is a try to play without a clear structure, but let elements repeat and play on a line (more or less).

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
Thank you
Last edited by Rafitown on Wed Apr 24, 2024 13:22 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

my first idea for this month was to write some industrial electronic music with lots of reverb, but I soon realized that I have no connection to that genre.

My second ideas was based on a pun ("SKA-fold") :face: and tempted me to try to write a Ska song with silly lyrics and the energy of "We are number one" from "Lazy Town". I don't know why I went along with this one.

So here I present my work "Scaffold Ska":

The WAV is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Eu7Js ... drive_link

I know the vocals are unintelligible. I had a hard time recording them as my interface had an unnerving delay when recording, and trying to correct this with Ableton Live's warping feature left them with robotic artifacts. I tried to make the best of it and slapped on some voice effects. Still, think of them as a mock-up for the intended vocals.

So here are the lyrics :nutter:
► Show Spoiler

Tools used:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by KukoBass on Tue Apr 23, 2024 22:17 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Dear fellow challengers and Mister Fox,

This month I wanted to try something new. Far from my comfort zone.
Inspired by a spotify theme that my son liked, I followed his directions and ended up doing something different from what I usually do.
I don't like the style of music very much and it doesn't interest me too much, but I think that in the end it wasn't all bad for me.

I hope you like it or at least can appreciate the work I have done.

Thank you colleagues.

(translated with google)

Equipment:
DAW:

Reason 12.7.4d3

Reason Instruments:
Mimic Creative Sampler
Parsec 2 Spectral Synthesizer
Humana Vocal Ensemble
Kong Drum Designer
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer
Umpf Retro Beats
Dr. Octo Rex Loop Player
Monotone Bass Synthesizer
NN-19 Sampler
NN-XT Advanced Sampler
Layers Waves Edition
Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer

Reason Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
The Echo
MClass Compressor
Synchronous Effect Modulator
Pulveriser Demolition Unit
UN-16 Unison
Quartet Chorus Ensemble
D-11 Foldback Distortion
Scream 4 Sound Destruction Unit
MClass Stereo Imager
Master Bus Compressor
Channel EQ
Softube Guitar Amp
MClass Maximizer
Audiomatic Retro Transformer
Sweeper Modulation Effect
Polar Dual Pitch Shifter
ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter
PEQ-2 Two Band Parametric EQ
Alligator Triple Filter Gate

Reason Players:
Pattern Mutator
Scales & Chords
Beat Map Algorhythmic Drummer
PolyStep Sequencer

Reason Utilities:
Combinator
Line Mixer 6:2
Spider Audio Merger & Splitter
Mixer 14:2
Pulsar Dual LFO

Reason Packs (like Presets):
Drift Phonk
Phonk
Melodic Techno Bass

Other effects outside of Reason:
Waves Vitamin Sonic Enhancer
Mastrcode-music Substrate Subharmonic Bass Booster
Kilohearts AB kHs Frequency Shifter
Antares DUO Automatic Vocal Doubler

Samples:
Multi-Osc Trap Riser.wav
Kick Boom.wav
FreakyFuzzer_eLAB.wav

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawkEye
HoRNet Plugins HoRNet VHS
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

Rafitown wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:41 CEST
There are three instrumental lines:
The piano for the percutive main line, strings for atmosphere and winds for different purposes.
I like the tone, urgency and sparsity of the piano and strings are a whole vibe. I like the no structure thing as it plays well as an underscore track. Only thing I feel it needs is more variation in the repeating piano parts and maybe using the sustain pedal for the arpeggiated spots. Good job.