2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A quick update:

Apologies for the long waiting time on the Statistic Sheets. I finally got them sorted out and will post them later tonight (Saturday, CEST).

Thank you for your patience.
zed999

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by zed999 »

Thanks for the update.
zed999

Post by zed999 »

In case anyone is waiting for a specific post (I was), Mister Fox's post 144 is updated, now with links to the statistics sheets.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: The "Overview of Submissions" PDFs have been uploaded.
You can check them through the upper post (post #144).

The Statistic Sheet is used to give an overview of all entries, and whether or not they are within given parameters (loudness, sampling rate, bitrate, proper filename). This is adding to the overall learning process of the "Mix(ing) Challenge". Please take note that creating this sheet is not a fully automated process. I am using Wavelab 10's "Batch Analysis" tool (EBU R-128 specs / equivalent to ITU-R BS.1770-4), but the overall layout and highlighting issues/mishaps, not to mention triple checking files and time stamps, is time consuming. If you do not find yourself on this list, please let me know.

:arrow_right: Please keep in mind, your mix being "tagged disqualified", does not mean "you're out of the game" (exceptions do apply). For more information on the Statistic Sheet and the "Wild Card" Mechanic, please consult the following addendum thread:

Mix Challenge - Addendum: Statistic Sheet and Wild Card Mechanic

:arrow_right: Statistics Addendum:
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
We have a disqualification rate of 32,95% for April 2024 (88 entries, 29 disqualifications, 2 "Out of Competition" submission not counting).

As usual, many of these disqualifications are due to not paying attention to detail (careless mistakes), e.g.: wrong sampling rate, loudness specs, lack of documentation, and not properly using the provided filename template (also see the provided "TL;DR Rules.txt" file).

On average (30 months of tracking), we currently have a disqualification rate of 25,78% (compared to last game's 25,58% avg), the rate is increasing again. The disqualification rate over the course of the last 12 games (June 2022 to April 2024) is about 25,78% (previously 25,15%), and is also increasing again.

I strongly recommend all participants to pay more attention to details in future games.

:arrow_right: A commentary on this month's entries:

I once more have to extend my welcome to all new participants who have found their way into our little community. No matter how you found us - I do hope you enjoy your stay, had fun, and could learn something from this experience. It is also great to see the participation exceeding 65 entries (avg value). What was not so great to see, were over 28 entries being disqualified in some shape or form (30, if I count the two entries that were submitted after the deadline).

To be honest, I was really procrastinating writing this post. This endeavor is always time consuming. And considering all the workload regarding "please read the rules" (despite multiple pointers existing in each thread, the bundled "TL;DR Rules.txt" and the reminders in each newsletter), this just takes the wind out of any sails. My personal consequence from that is, that I do need to address certain things for future mixing games.

Most notably: I will no longer have such a lengthy follow-up post to the Statistic Sheet. Just a "the sheets are available, here are some more participation stats, let's get back to the conversation". Another thing will be slight Rule Book adjustments (most notably being recurring FAQ topics), and how the game threads will look in the future. I am now considering a third post - like I do with each Songwriting Competition. However unlike with the SWC, the third post will not be about tools, but a dedicated "final warning" and yet-another-repeat of the absolute essentials: the filename template, the desired sampling rate, bitrate, maximum loudness values and a reminder to document your edit (rudimentary documentation, at least one sound you enjoyed sculpting).

With that said - I have not been my usual lenient self this game. Apologies for that, but I have been talking about this for months now. I have to repeat myself multiple times with every Mix(ing) Challenge. And quite honestly, not only is this a huge time sink, it is also frustrating at this point, and it has been gnawing on me as well. The rules are really not that hard to follow. Every competition out there has similar strict ones (to their own degrees). Why it's always such an issue with the Mix(ing) Challenge, is beyond my understanding.

This brings me to this month - a summary (not all things mentioned):
  • Resubmission of entry without permission -- 01 entry (@TSTstudio, 2nd game this happened)
  • Entry could not be downloaded by the end of the deadline -- 03 entries (@useruser - entry was made available hours after I closed out the game, @rijavia and @Farlakesch submitted via SoundCloud without download option, @Emelowsky gets a warning with WeTransfer, the entry was gone shortly after the deadline). I checked each entry multiple times up to 24-APR-2024 even. This extra work will also stop in the future. As of MC098 -- If your entry is not available by the time the countdown reached 0:00:00, and it's not available until at least MIx Round 2 has started - your entry will be "tagged OUT".
  • Entry submitted in wrong file format -- 03 entries (submitted in MP3 and not WAV by @jakeh83, plus both @Farlakesch and @rijavia submitted through SoundCloud)
  • Entry did not use the provided filename template -- 07 entries (@AskAndy, @Eastpark Sound, @filipandrei, @hjchjc, @rodzroom, @SyroniC_GP, I even allowed @Beebo1970 via PM to rename the file, even provided the correct template)
  • Entry used sample replacement -- 02 entries (@TSTstudio did this in a previous game as well, @RobertWalter - I am sorry, but Wavesfactory SnareBuzz is sample based drum replacement/enhancement)
  • Entry is without documentation -- 07 entries (@5OVEREIGNTY, @dfixmusic, @Eastpark Sound, @Emelowsky, @rijavia, @Ojo, @TudorNacu -- please don't just post and then move on, expecting to get feedback and a selection for Mix Round 2 -- please add to the learning aspect of the community!)
  • Entry is in wrong Sampling Rate (source was 48kHz) -- 12 entries (please pay attention to detail with your export)
  • Entry is in wrong Bitrate (submissions need to be in 24bit) -- 06 entries (please pay attention to detail with your export), not mentioned are the 3 MP3 files as Wavelab converts MP3 files into 32bit integer during analysis
  • Entry not within loudness specs -- 10 entries
  • Entry shorter than original mix -- 03 entries (@SyroniC_GP -- this entry cuts off at the end, I downloaded the file multiple times to check if this was an issue on my end. And after being informed about this via PM, I went back and checked all entries for the "song start" - I noticed, that both @Beebo1970 and @Green-Dog miss the first note of the E-Piano)
A lot of these seemingly careless mistakes are by regulars even. which really saddens me. The idea of the Mix(ing) Challenge, is to also simulate a "Client to Business" scenario, where attention to detail is of utmost importance. Not adhering to given parameters will result in a loss of a job in the real world. Worst case scenario, not even any further collaboration with this particular client. You can "train" this type of interaction on our community, without any severe repercussions except for "well, I didn't make it in this particular challenge, better luck next time".

It is up to you what you make out of this experience.
But please, for the future, pay attention to detail.

:arrow_right: To close this out.

I am happy with the participation amount. However, a disqualification rate of 1/3rd of all participants really didn't need to happen. Especially the minor issues that could have been prevented, if you once more checked your entry prior to uploading (e.g. - looking at the file properties, cross-referencing with a loudness analyzer like Youlean Loudness Meter, using "copy/paste/name edit" on the filename template, checking with another browser that your entry is accessible).

A huge thank you to everyone that invested time with this month's game. And also a huge thank you to everyone that keeps spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. I hope you could learn something, and had fun in the process.

See you in the next challenge. :headphones:

:information_source: I now (re-)open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however. Though please note - criticism on the rule set and angry posts will be deleted without further notice.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

This will ideally happen sometime within the next 14 days (starting tomorrow).

We (as in: the Song Provider and I) will keep you updated, and of course send out appropriate reminder newsletters!

EDIT: 28-APR-2024 11:25 UTC+2/CEST - initial post
EDIT: 28-APR-2024 23:15 UTC+2/CEST - updated statistics
EDIT: 29-APR-2024 18:35 UTC+2/CEST - corrections to the "summary"
AskAndy

Post by AskAndy »

please explain in exact detail what is in error with my file name. directions were followed. cut , paste, user name.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

AskAndy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 15:24 CEST
please explain in exact detail what is in error with my file name. directions were followed. cut , paste, user name.
I think i see one underscore too many before your username....
sthauge
Backer
Backer

Post by sthauge »

AskAndy wrote:
Wrong sample rate, should be 48 kHz, your is 44.1 kHz. As Mr Fox explained, this is also about training for technical correct delivery. If a customer or a professional mastering engineer ask for 48 kHz, you deliver a 48 kHz file.
Harrison Mixbus 10.0 Pro, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.11, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

AskAndy wrote:
Aside from your entry also being in 44,1kHz, indeed. This is easily explained -- one extra underscore in filename. Could have been an oversight.

Code: Select all

Entry Filename:
MC097__Bellener_and_Friends__Get_A_Grip___Askandy.wav

Template:
MC097__Bellener_and_Friends__Get_A_Grip__Askandy.wav

:arrow_right: I just updated the Statistic Sheets:

I was made aware by one user via PM, that another participant might have a render/editing issue with the beginning of the song missing the first note of the E-Piano. So I invested the extra time, and checked all entries again. Turns out that both @Beebo1970 and @Green-Dog miss the first note of the E-Piano. These entries have been retroactively "tagged disqualified".

This also changes the Disqualification Rate from 31,82% (28 disqualified entries) to 32,95% (29 disqualified entries)
AskAndy

Post by AskAndy »

thank you.
gonzacarmele

Post by gonzacarmele »

Thanks for everything you do Mr Fox!

Good luck to everyone, there are great mixes in this challenge.