2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Voting until 01-MAY-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

I do like these picture themes as it is interesting to see all the different ways in which everyone interprets and creates their tracks – although, as others have said, it does also make judging much harder due to the wide variety of styles to compare

Things I have learned during this month’s competition:
This month I learned how to use the vocal lanes and comping features in Cubase to build a vocal track from several takes. I played through the song three times recording a slightly different vocal each time and then used the lanes/comping to select the best phrases from each section to construct the final vocal

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Voting
► Show Spoiler
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Voting until 01-MAY-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

This month I attempted to write lyrics inspired by the prompt and then build a song around that. I wasn't happy with the lyrics nor my ability to sing them. I ultimately decided to scrap them which was a tough decision but one that I think the track benefitted from. I also had too many elements in the track early on but I was able to slim things down to where they wound up. If there was a lesson this month, it was that sometimes, less is more.

► Show Spoiler
Vote:
► Show Spoiler
Crosshatched

Post by Crosshatched »

Comments:
I hope my comment are helpful enough.
► Show Spoiler
Rankings:
► Show Spoiler
Personal Reflections
The parts of my song still do not seem to flow into each other seamlessly...
I still like the synths... and how easy it was to change velocities in the piano roll to add drama... though I didn't distinguish the different sections nearly as much as I could.
Next up: Sometime I want to try the famous strategy to take some EDM song, reverse-engineer its structure, and fill-in-the-blanks with my own notes and instruments. I need to be so much more fluent with strategizing how to structure songs.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

my experience this month was that a good mix will take time, no matter, if I use mixing tools or not.
I had only time for writing and producing at the beginning of the month. Then a new assignment started, and I had neither the time nor energy to work on the track. When the deadline came closer, I had to rush things and finish the song in one half day of the weekend. I recorded the vocals, slapped on the effects and mixed everything in the same session. I should have left the mixing to another day, starting with "fresh ears".

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
My Top 5
Due to the open genre and the many different approaches to the theme, it was very difficult to pick a Top 5. My choice was subjectively influenced by the genres I like more; it says nothing about the quality of the song if it doesn't appear in the list.
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Voting until 01-MAY-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please check post #035 regarding the feedback and voting mechanic. Giving feedback is mandatory (the only criteria to become disqualified). Please don't let yourself be put at a disadvantage by not participating (fully). The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other. Don't just "collect" and then move on - this is unfair to all other participants.

Outside feedback is welcome, of course.
Cdbaksu

Post by Cdbaksu »

For me this month’s game was a great opportunity to tread new waters and also get the chance to interact with a new community of like-minded people. While the former was a really enjoyable process, the latter was quite disappointing overall.

The vibes of inadequacy, self-doubt, and just lack of musical prowess permeated throughout the previous feedback sections - with some even conceding artistic ineptitude and the surrendering of even the most basic insight such as reading the blurb we were supposed to attach to the compositions. Thus leaving them to rely on only their poor interpretation skills and, generally, missing the mark entirely.

For the most part, the entries displayed evidence of fundamental musical nescience that the kind of trivial “the kick is too loud”-type of advice would not bring them nearer to any sort of standard.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Check out my Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Cdbaksu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:47 CEST
For the most part, the entries displayed evidence of fundamental musical nescience that the kind of trivial “the kick is too loud”-type of advice would not bring them nearer to any sort of standard.
Wow.

If I read the rules right :educate: we are supposed to give constructive feedback, namely
Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 01:44 CEST
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries (tiered mechanic) -- things that stood out to you, providing some final thoughts and constructive feedback for possible improvements. ...
Any "the kick is too loud"-type of advice is more suitable to evoke further improvement than your "this song lacks everything that makes out a song"-type of condescending down talk you unfortunately decided to pour into this forum.

What exactly distinguishes your "feedback" from online bullying?
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

You said what we're all thinking. I came here to receive and give constructive, actionable feedback (to my best ability). The last vote contained none of that. If I wanted mean spirited, and ultimately trite comments about mine or anyone else's efforts, I'd join a FB group. Glad to know I'm not alone in this. Every track had its strengths.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Good night,

Thank you all for participating. It's a pleasure to enjoy such a variety of music.
This time I wanted to do something different and I let myself be deceived by my son who wanted a very powerful part, which turned out to be the part you liked the least.
This month he learned how to get more out of Reason's backend cables (they're like routing in other DAWs, I guess). I connected a player called BeatMap to the Kong percussion instrument and at the same time to two Thor synthesizers that played percussive sounds and at the same time the Kong sounds were routed to a distortion effect.

I leave you comments at a fairly basic level.

Api_ZZ - Scaffold
The first part of your theme grows in interest as you listen to it, but there comes a point (approx. 0:53) that doesn't develop any further. It seems stagnant. You're waiting for something else to happen that doesn't happen.
The treatment of the bass is too exaggerated, there are times when the bass eats the rest.
The voices seem out of tune to me.
The most rhythmic part is the most interesting part.

Bpackard - Framework
What a theme!!!
This one sounds very cinematic. With this you have won me over!!
At first I figured you made the track by taking samples and doing a copy/paste because it actually sounded very real. But then I saw the description of the instruments you use and I was blown away. I would love to have this domain.
Few costs I would say to improve. Maybe the breaks are too long..

Arelem - Torn Down
I like the electronic tone, powerful. The effects, the laughs. Sounds like a good mix to me. Maybe a little too strong. Good idea to open up the frequency spectrum as the intro progresses.

Crosshatched - Frame for Nothing (Scaffolding)
Curious composition. Very cinematic. From a suspense or horror film.
THE sound of the bells is a bit distracting, maybe the volume should be turned down, but I like the sound environment in the background. The song gets better on repeated listens.

Rafitown - ScaffoldTheme
IT IS an original and different theme. I like the orchestral part of the background. Good piano performance. As an improvement I would say to add more reverb to the percussion. The wind session might need to be worked on to give it more realism.

KukoBass - Scaffold_Ska_v5
Very original theme. Looks like we're at a street party. I like the vocals, even though you say you couldn't record them well, I think the work you did is fine.
As something to improve I would suggest adding reverberation to the instruments because they sound too close, and too artificial which would improve with a little more variation in speed.

becsei_gyorgy - Architects_of_Life
I take off my hat. I like this danceable style. The vocals are also very good, but in the end they end up not being very original, they remind me of other songs of yours. Maybe improve the rhythms with more breaks?

DocJon - CraneTownMan
I like these guitars and the roughness of the main voice (the colleagues are right to remember Dire Straits). I also like the comeback. I can tell you few things to improve, maybe it lasts too long. I'm sorry I can't comment on the lyrics but my level of English doesn't allow me to.

Cdbaksu - Molly
Good job. I like the details you provide in your presentation. Unfortunately I don't like this style of music and it's hard for me to connect with it. good mix Lots of complexity in the rhythms. All this is beyond me and I wouldn't know what to tell you to improve.

Thanks.

(translated with google, sorry for the imperfections that the translation may contain)
► Show Spoiler
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

bpackard wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 22:57 CEST
Glad to know I'm not alone in this. Every track had its strengths.
Nope, you're certainly not alone. Every track does have its strengths and one of the better aspects of the community here is that there is a focus on improvement. To me, it sounds like cdbaksu is not a fan of music, but a fan of specific types of music and has a hard time being objective about their listening.
I found their feedback to becsei gyorgy especially egregious: "Enduring through it three times over while collecting my thoughts I realized these are ten minutes I’ll never get back."
What is constructive about this? The answer is nothing.