2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
rodzroom

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by rodzroom »

--> @rodzroom - I am sorry, but Wavesfactory SnareBuzz is sample based drum replacement/enhancement)

I just double checked my mix, and I am not using a sample replacement. I have eq on the snare track, and also send it to a drum reverb, which uses a low- and hi-pass filter and a Bricasti reverb impulse called "percussion air." I'm happy with the sound I got because many 70s rock songs have a very snappy snare. Fair enough about the name template; would have loved to get feedback on the mix. Maybe next time!
jeffssoloband

Post by jeffssoloband »

rodzroom wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 14:39 CEST
--> @rodzroom - I am sorry, but Wavesfactory SnareBuzz is sample based drum replacement/enhancement)

I just double checked my mix, and I am not using a sample replacement. I have eq on the snare track, and also send it to a drum reverb, which uses a low- and hi-pass filter and a Bricasti reverb impulse called "percussion air." I'm happy with the sound I got because many 70s rock songs have a very snappy snare. Fair enough about the name template; would have loved to get feedback on the mix. Maybe next time!
According to the stat sheet, I believe that comment should have been directed to a different username (RobertWalter), not yours.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Hello everyone!

I don't want to be a fusspot, but in @Green-Dogs entry not only the first eighth note from the electric piano is missing - but also the first eighth notes from both guitars (that is one bar later). Whether this leads to this minimal change being seen as "re-arrangement" instead of a render problem, I don't know. Personally, I don't see it as a major problem, but it is important that everyone agrees on everything now, when there are so many entries and when several discussions are going on at the same time between different people.

As for @Beebo1970, the entire intro is missing, if I'm not mistaken :hmmm:

I was a little unsure of how to present this. But now it turned out like this, and that's why I'm not writing you an email as well, @Mister Fox.
zed999

Post by zed999 »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 15:34 CEST
Hello everyone!

I don't want to be a fusspot, but in @Green-Dogs entry not only the first eighth note from the electric piano is missing - but also the first eighth notes from both guitars (that is one bar later). Whether this leads to this minimal change being seen as "re-arrangement" instead of a render problem, I don't know. Personally, I don't see it as a major problem, but it is important that everyone agrees on everything now, when there are so many entries and when several discussions are going on at the same time between different people.

As for @Beebo1970, the entire intro is missing, if I'm not mistaken :hmmm:

I was a little unsure of how to present this. But now it turned out like this, and that's why I'm not writing you an email as well, @Mister Fox.
I believe you (the provider) considers the disqualified mixes (marked X) just like the others, the contestants can then choose to play a wild-card if picked and put right the wrongs in round 2. Entries marked OUT are the only ones out at this stage.
sthauge
Backer
Backer

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by sthauge »

DIVESPANNER wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 02:41 CEST
I hope you enjoy the final production I really enjoyed this one and it's managed to magnified how much I still have to learn I would appreciate any sort of feedback from anyone who has any comments on my version would be very much appreciated many thanks to all again and enjoy.
Hi DIVESPANNER

You asked for feedback, so here's my thoughts on your mix. I'm mainly comments on what I think you can improve:

1. You could have been louder(+1.4 LUFS) and your dBTP is only -5.4.

2. The crash cymbal is to loud especially on the first hit. This makes the cymbal to be upfront and in the face of the listener, while the rest of the drum kit it a bit retracted in the mix. Remember to make the drum kit ONE instrument when it comes to dept. In general, reduce the gain on the cymbal and do some automation to get more even throughout the song and check the reverb.

3. The strings could have sparkled more.

4. The acoustic guitars needs to be more present.

5. The vocal is a bit boxy, use a EQ to reduce the lead vocal around 360 Hz and see if that improves it. It need more work on the backing vocals to make them more even. Some places the are centered, some places they are spread out.

6. When the lead guitar and vocal kicks in at the same time they are fighting for space. Pan the guitar out of the way of the vocal. A technique to make space for the vocal in center is to use a mid/side EQ. Subtract freq from the mid band on competing instruments(guitars, keys..) where the vocal have presence(up and down in a hanging curve around eg. 3.5 kHz)

7. Bass guitar should contributed more to the songs foundation. Ensure the kick and the bass work together to make the foundation.

8. Automation, automation and automation. Seek for nice details in the tracks and bring them forward, could be only a note or two, but it will enhance the listeners experience and keep'em focused. Tips, the brass at the end.

I have to mention though, that you are one of the few that I've heard that have addressed the lisping on the lead vocalists track. It's better than the places I experimented to correct it. Still need a bit more polishing, but not bad, not bad at all.

Thats all for now, good luck in the competition.

Steinar
Harrison Mixbus 10.0 Pro, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.11, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

rodzroom wrote:
You and @jeffssoloband are correct, I pinged you for the wrong reason. I did indeed mean @RobertWalter. I corrected that in the post above.

Your entry is merely "tagged disqualified" for not properly using the filename template.

Code: Select all

Entry Filename:
MC097__BellenerAndFriends__GetAGrip__Rodzroom.wav

Template:
MC097__Bellener_and_Friends__Get_A_Grip__Rodzroom.wav
sthauge
Backer
Backer

Post by sthauge »

rodzroom wrote:
Would have loved to get feedback on the mix. Maybe next time!
Hi rodzroom

You asked for feedback, so here's my thoughts on your mix, it's perfectly fine to disagree. I'm mainly comments on what I think you can improve:

1 Lead vocal is a bit 'woolly' in the first bars, could have been brighten by automation. It's also some lisping that could have been corrected. In the end, the lead vocal track could have more presence, try reduce around 360 Hz, medium Q and boost around 4.5 kHz, broad Q

2 There is some minor reverb overload some places, eg at 3.56, ''when will they see, how(here) we...''. If you using a reverb bus, you can see if you can get this technique to work(it works best on drum reverb): put a limiter on the reverb bus, try before and after the reverb to see whats best, 0 ms attack, quick release, just to take the bit of the reverb feed or the reverb output so you removing the reverb overload. If you're happy with the way it is now, forget it.

3 I not sure how good the vibrato on the piano and vibrato on the lead guitar works.

4 The lead vocal and some of the backing vocal are fighting for space, pan them a little bit apart.

5 The snare could be more snappy

6 T he kick could have more low end

7 Automation and more automation. Get the nice short notes or a hit or two on a drum come forward to spice up the listeners experience of the song. Tips, the brass at the end.

Steinar
Harrison Mixbus 10.0 Pro, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.11, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
Emelowsky
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Emelowsky »

Hi, do I understand correctly that my submission has been lost due to lack of description and lack of downloadability?
Even if I had done it now as required 😉 ?

I promise to stick to all the rules next time 😁

It's a pity that such a Mix was lost😉
zed999

Post by zed999 »

Emelowsky wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 18:35 CEST
Hi, do I understand correctly that my submission has been lost due to lack of description and lack of downloadability?
Even if I had done it now as required 😉 ?

I promise to stick to all the rules next time 😁

It's a pity that such a Mix was lost😉
Your mix is not lost, but if picked you will have to play a wild card to continue in round 2.
DIVESPANNER

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by DIVESPANNER »

sthauge wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 18:14 CEST
DIVESPANNER wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 02:41 CEST
I hope you enjoy the final production I really enjoyed this one and it's managed to magnified how much I still have to learn I would appreciate any sort of feedback from anyone who has any comments on my version would be very much appreciated many thanks to all again and enjoy.
Hi DIVESPANNER

You asked for feedback, so here's my thoughts on your mix. I'm mainly comments on what I think you can improve:

1. You could have been louder(+1.4 LUFS) and your dBTP is only -5.4.

2. The crash cymbal is to loud especially on the first hit. This makes the cymbal to be upfront and in the face of the listener, while the rest of the drum kit it a bit retracted in the mix. Remember to make the drum kit ONE instrument when it comes to dept. In general, reduce the gain on the cymbal and do some automation to get more even throughout the song and check the reverb.

3. The strings could have sparkled more.

4. The acoustic guitars needs to be more present.

5. The vocal is a bit boxy, use a EQ to reduce the lead vocal around 360 Hz and see if that improves it. It need more work on the backing vocals to make them more even. Some places the are centered, some places they are spread out.

6. When the lead guitar and vocal kicks in at the same time they are fighting for space. Pan the guitar out of the way of the vocal. A technique to make space for the vocal in center is to use a mid/side EQ. Subtract freq from the mid band on competing instruments(guitars, keys..) where the vocal have presence(up and down in a hanging curve around eg. 3.5 kHz)

7. Bass guitar should contributed more to the songs foundation. Ensure the kick and the bass work together to make the foundation.

8. Automation, automation and automation. Seek for nice details in the tracks and bring them forward, could be only a note or two, but it will enhance the listeners experience and keep'em focused. Tips, the brass at the end.

I have to mention though, that you are one of the few that I've heard that have addressed the lisping on the lead vocalists track. It's better than the places I experimented to correct it. Still need a bit more polishing, but not bad, not bad at all.

Steinar
Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to carry out an extensive mix analysis and critique it is very much appreciated and again thankyou
all the best DiveSpanner