2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Voting until 01-MAY-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

As host, I am definitely agreeing with @KukoBass, @bpackard and @Arelem...

That particular feedback was far from being objective and constructive - it was downright destructive and patronizing.

While it is true, that not every entry is super musical, or might have a steady rhythm -- and that will also not be the case in future games -- praise should be given toward any participant to step out of one's comfort zone and create (and finish) something in the first place. Not to mention, as long as there are not 10 different defined things that you have to follow while joining a particular a game (we have such challenges!), people are free to interpret given visual material and premises as they seem fit.

This is what the Songwriting Competition is about -- it is not about a high-tier A-Game competition as to "who is ultimately the next John Williams", but a place to experiment and improve, learn how to gather and give feedback.

We have a diverse userbase, with the most different skillsets. And should you, @Cdbaksu, decide to continue participating in future Songwriting Competitions, I kindly ask you to please tone it down, be less aggressive with your commentary, and provide more helpful feedback.

I will step in and put an end to this otherwise.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd May 2024, 00:40 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Everyone has sent in feedback and cast a vote, we therefore have no disqualification.

Please no more changes to your feedback from this point forward.
I will post the results within 2-3 workdays. (this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 078

:arrow_right: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @Doc Jon (46 pts)
  2. @bpackard (40 pts)
  3. @becsei_gyorgy (29 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 0 disqualification (due to lack of feedback / a final vote)
We have 0 withdrawn entries (but counts as submission within the deadline, yet couldn't be voted for)
We have several users still in the game that tied
  • The following ties on the chart happened due to various reasons
    • Cdbaksu -- acquired 21pts with the participant vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points (resulting in in 33pts), but also received a -5pt penalty (resulting in 28pts)
    • Rafitown -- acquired 16pts with the participant vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points, but has lower participation scores from votes overall (resulting in 28pts)
  • no (more) users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium (>= 9 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 02-MAY-2024, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July 2021, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
INFORMATION:
As of January 2023, I am adapting the same voting mechanic as most other International Songwriting Competitions utilize. Nearly all of these games use(d) a 01 to 05 points system (top 5 entries) in some shape or form. The main difference to our game: these ones don't offer bonus points or penalty points, neither are they tiered (depending on the participant amount). I hope to get that properly sorted out in form of an extensive Rule Book update in the foreseeable future (serious apologies for the waiting time).

:arrow_right: Breaking up a tie:

There was no unbreakable tie that needed to be addressed. The ties were "sorted out" with the known fallback mechanics of the game.

:arrow_right: An explanation on the bonus points and penalty points:
  • Due to exceeding the loudness specs, the following users could not acquire all 4pts bonus -- @Arelem and @Crosshatched exceeded both loudness limits, @Doc Jon and @bpackard only exceeded the maximum signal strength (-1,00 dBTP max). Multiple entries are hovering within allowed tolerances - please keep an eye on that in future games.
  • I unfortunately could not address 1pt bonus to @Crosshatched, due to not properly utilizing the filename template (the entry download only featured the songname, there wasn't even a username attached).
  • I sadly have to address a -5pt penalty for @Cdbaksu for overly aggressive and highly destructive criticism towards other participants of this month's game (also see the commentary above). There was no other way for me to address this in any more fair and neutral manner, as the user in question did otherwise adhere to the established Rules and Guidelines (therefore, no points could be withdrawn). However, the shown behavior is something I will not allow / support on our community. I offered @Cdbaksu the chance to ease this and provide additional, not to mention more constructive feedback towards at least 5 participants of choice. This was offered through Discord with a time limit until 02-MAY-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST. The request sadly didn't happen - hence the penalty. This particular topic will eventually also be addressed in a Rule Book Update (bonus points and penalty points mechanic).

I've listened to your entries, and there were definitely some interesting interpretations of the given picture theme. Overall, I am happy with the participation, but I would still love to see more than 15 participants per month for the rest of the year. We got so many talented musicians on our community - you don't have to be an expert at things. Join, experiment, gather / share feedback. That alone is already a winning condition - the rest is bonus.

Please keep it up.
See you folks in the next game. :headphones:

:arrow_right: License selection:

We will now perform with the usual. Selecting of licenses is handled in public. In order of the winners podium, and only if you want to, please select one license/company out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner (within 5 days of this post). Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
As part of a new collaboration with Hornet Plugins, you are allowed to select either 2 plugins at a maximum value of 20 EUR MSRP for both, or one individual plugin of choice from the whole available plugin range (bundles are exempt).

Due to time constraints, I could not make a bigger announcement about this yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread, or Discord.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 081 (May 2024) is still in full swing.

There are currently no (number: 00) entries. :educate:
bpackard

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC080 April 2024 - Winners announced

Post by bpackard »

WOW! This was really cool, and so much fun. Thank you for the opportunity! Congrats to everyone!

I really appreciate the feedback on my track. I have revisited this song 3 different times since initial upload, and tried to address some of the issues mentioned. It's fascinating everyone's take on the same brief. A lot of creative folks here.

May's SWC is way WAY out of my comfort zone in both genre and utility. I've started down the apparent rabbit hole that is modular synths... So cool.

I've never placed in a writing contest. This is new for me. If I read the rules correctly, I choose one license?
If so, I've always wanted to check out Lunaris 2. So, Lunaris 2 :smile:

Thanks again!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The selection is in order of the podium. If nobody picks Luftrum prior to you, then things can be sorted out.
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 03:49 CEST
The selection is in order of the podium. If nobody picks Luftrum prior to you, then things can be sorted out.
I just now read the tiered picks section of the rules. Sorry I jumped the gun, here. Excitement and all. I'm still getting a feel for the flow and etiquette of the forum. My newby mistake :confused:

If that license is available, cool. If not, no biggie.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Thanks for the votes and all the useful feedback, remixing ongoing at the moment taking all your comments into consideration :hihi:

Congratulations also to @bpackard and @becsei_gyorgy for the podium finish!

I do not need to take any prize this month so @bpackard enjoy your Lunaris 2 :tu:

Thank you to @Mister Fox for all your hard work organising everything :hug: and for looking after the forum. This has always been a positive supportive environment for as long as I have been here and when I look back to where I started from many years ago (some really terrible tracks now long deleted from Soundcloud!!) it has only been through the positive encouragement of others in places like the KVR One Synth Challenge, KVR Music Cafe and now here in the Songwriting Challenge that has helped me progress from 'amateur with no skill' to 'amateur with some skill'. Along the way I have interacted with many individuals who are clearly very gifted with serious musical ability and who have had a huge amount of useful advice to offer to others on the way up, with encouragement which is all the more valuable when it comes from someone with obvious talent. Putting aside the events of this month I look forward to that continuing here :smile:
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

Doc Jon wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:56 CEST
I do not need to take any prize this month so @bpackard enjoy your Lunaris 2 :tu:
So cool of you, man. Thanks!
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Hi everyone,

My apologies, unfortunately I didn't get around to entering this month's SWC but thought I'd give everyone some bonus feedback anyway as you've all done a great job with your compositions and I've really enjoyed listening to them all. Welcome also to the new members this month.
► Show Spoiler
If I had participated, this would have been my vote:
► Show Spoiler
Congrats to all the winners though, it's a very well deserved podium!

May is looking a little more relaxed time-wise for me so I hope to participate with you all in this month's challenge.

Best regards

Benji
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Many congratulations to @Doc Jon and @bpackard. They deservedly finished at the top of the podium.

It's been a long time since I've chosen an award, but this time I'd like to go for the Musiclab Realrick guitar.

Thanks to @Mister Fox for organizing, and of course thanks to everyone for the good songs, participation and feedbacks. I am glad to have such a cohesive good community here on the forum.