2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 40 - February 2018

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (source files, submission information, sponsors), start of the evaluation process and the first post for re-submissions for Mix Round 2.

It's the first Mix Challenge of year 2018, and this month we're tackling a 80th Synth / Electronica production by songwriter and returning "client" 3ee. The song has no definite name, so please refer to the work-title "Reaper MIDI Song2". The client also requested to not his artist name in the submissions. So please use the shortened version: MC000_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName.wav/mp3

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: It is now mandatory to provide WAV files (FLAC bar minimum on low internet bandwidth), files need to be accessible/downloadable, try to work within suitable work levels, document your edits (as simple or as detailed as you like)
    IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention: MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName.wav/mp3 and MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName_R2.wav/mp3 for Mix Round 2. The order of the tags might change in upcoming challenges - though this is up for debate
  • It is highly encouraged to give feedback to each other, to share tips and tricks. Ideally, this should happen after Mix Round 1 has ended, to not influence each other during the main competition round

Also please take note of the following
  • We're desperately looking for new source material for future competitions (Mix Challenge, Mastering Challenge, Remix Challenge). Please follow our official campaign. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us. For example with a voluntary monthly donation (this will mainly cover server and social media maintenance fees). Some interesting bonus perks await you through either route, and donors get a special rank on the forum.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information, Source Files, Sponsors
Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Results of the Mix Challenge 40: Winners announced
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC40 February 2018 - Submissions until 21-02-2018 GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Thursday, 01st February 2018 to Wednesday, 21st February 2018 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-02-2018, 11:59pm CET/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
The evaluation period might shift a couple of days due to the Christmas holidays. So please be patient after the first Mix Round has ended.

Song Provider: 3ee
Song Name and Length: Reaper MIDI Song2 (work-title), 2:10min
Song Information: 85 BPM / Signature: 4/4, A min
File Format: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit

GENRE: 80s synth ambiental electronica

Preview of the Song:
Preview mix on Box.com

A word from the song provider:
3ee wrote:80s synth 'music' with a bit of ambient influence probably, it's a simple instrumentation and structure, MIDI practice in Reaper while watching Kenny Gioia's "First MIDI Song in Reaper" as found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4pekLPVys

For some parts to sound less repetitive, you can maybe automate some long reverb or delay sends, without any unneeded exaggeration of course. Just a suggestion, figure it out! :)

Drums are sampled from u-he Diva... the rest of the synths are Zebra, Diva and Zebralette... additional percs and whatnot for sfx usage are various samples.

Not sure what else to say, it's nothing special really, yet a great practice song for mixing/mastering I think :) ... with the right mix/master it can come to life.

A good mix for this would probably be a bit more on the "vintage" side rather than sounding too bright'n'modern. A successful mix would be one that helps sustain the vibe/mood which is a bit autumnal, almost melancholic and thought-provoking.. whatever, I guess that the song best-describes itself, thus asking for a particular sound/mix so you'll have to figure it out.

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:This production reminds me of old 90ies video game soundtracks. Mainly those from RPGs during the rise of CD-ROM releases. You clearly heard influences of known soundchips like the the Yamaha YM3812 (OPL2), or the various Roland MPU-401 variants (among them, the MT-32 and SC-55). Because this is what basically happened: CD-ROM offered audio tracks with "blended synths and effects", something which was not possible prior to that time. Unless you used tracker music.

But back to this particular production. This one might sound simple to mix to you, but don't be fooled. 3ee has been a client before, and even back then he loved to play around with automation of AUX FX (varying amounts of delay, reverb, saturation, etc). Which is why there is a guide track existing. And the request to "play around during repetitive parts".

So no limits on creativity.

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below. There you can find more information about the individual files and changes to the time signature.

Special Add-On Rules:
  • try to create a mix that complements this production (in your own style)
  • Clean / Alternative versions can be used if you need more flexibility over a certain sound (if present in this production)
  • No rearrangement or pitch shifting of the song structure, with the exception of the following add-on rules
  • PRODUCTION RELATED: nothing to comment
  • summing bus processing is allowed, as long as the dynamic range (average signal strength to maximum signal strength) doesn't suffer - use of this method is artistically!
  • try to not(!) pre-master the track (please no overuse of mix bus treatment, no loudness adjustments / limiting)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (146,11 MB, LZMA compressed, 7z v15)
Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (163,57 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 591,05 MB, packed 163,57 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here
Keka (open source) - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Mix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Mix Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Acon Digital is kind enough give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
License will turn into NFR
More info on Acon Digital: http://acondigital.com

Black Rooster Audio is kind enough to give away one bundle of all currently available plugins to the winner
More info on Black Rooster Audio: http://blackroosteraudio.com/

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Metric Halo is kind enough to give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
More info about Metric Halo: http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/

Nyrv Systems offers AGENT incl. all currently available NyrvDevices and free update to at least v1.5 of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info about Nyrv Systems: http://www.nyrvsystems.com/

Tone2 is kind enough to donate either a bundle consisting of AkustiX Enhancer and WarmVerb, or a license of Ultraspace to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

Two Notes Audio Engineering is kind enough to donate one license of Torpedo Wall of Sound III to the winner, loaded with 57 cabinets (equivalent to "Torpedo WoS II") (donation until End of 2017)
License will not turn into NFR
More info on Two Notes: http://www.two-notes.com/en/

THANKS FOR THE LICENSE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on mix plugins, bundles and the likes), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Nige

Post by Nige »

This is my entry into MC40.
I tied to add texture, colour and excitement to this mix through the use of saturation on specific elements. It's probably a little more of a modern feel as opposed to the 'vintage' vibe mentioned in the track summary, but that's the direction I choose so I guess it is what it is.
This was mixed completely itb using FL Studio 12. The Scheps Omni Channel strip featured quite heavily in this mix in addition to a handful stock FL plugins such as EQ2 Parametric EQ, Fruity Limiter (sidechain comp) and Fruity Blood Overdrive as well as Vacuumsound's ADT and OldSchoolVerb by Voxengo.
Apart from a bit of panning, level and delay automation to add interest I tried not to get too fancy with the production, I was really just aiming for excitement and space.
Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1e9axmv9xkao ... e.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1dyf96hozmje ... e.wav?dl=0
Last edited by Nige on Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:31 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

Cubase 9. Channel strip and verb mostly on this.

Went for a more spacial attempt. Seemed like there was a different lead instrument every few measures so I tried to keep the overall group balanced and clean enough to hear all of the delays. Fun challenge.

MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qQOtoO ... sp=sharing

Wav: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JaetOc ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days to submit your edit
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

Special Add-On Rules:
...No rearrangement or pitch shifting of the song structure...
The kick & bass are not synced through parts of the progression. To me, it throws the groove off and feels like it stumbles. I would really like to get the kick & bass in the same groove to tighten it up. Is that allowed?
juanjose1967

Post by juanjose1967 »

Hello! I'm new to this forum.

I am a Studio One user. The mix is basically made of EQ and compression, and some delays and reverb to create a space. I've also added some effects in order to make some instruments sound different in certain parts of the song, so it woun't sound always the same.

mp3 mix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/023u37w4rfw2n ... 7.mp3?dl=0

wav mix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zej9v88ih2r2v ... 7.wav?dl=0
3ee

Post by 3ee »

davemcisaac wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 CET
Special Add-On Rules:
...No rearrangement or pitch shifting of the song structure...
The kick & bass are not synced through parts of the progression. To me, it throws the groove off and feels like it stumbles. I would really like to get the kick & bass in the same groove to tighten it up. Is that allowed?
Hi Dave,

hmm... not sure how it doesn't feel 'synced' to you but anyway, if you plan to nudge the bass track away a bit from the kick I think that it's a totally fair move (it's just like applying some delay to one track/part but 100% wet and no dry :D )
3ee

Post by 3ee »

Thanks for the mixes to far, interesting how each did it in their own way! :)

I might re_mix it as well if time permits, just for the fun of it!
Studio Saturn

Post by Studio Saturn »

Man what a sweet production 3ee. Now sit back and relax we will deliver our mix it is not your turn to re- visit the mix. We will deliver you judge. :uhuhuh: