2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd April 2018, 5:30am GMT+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

If I didn't miscount, we have 22 entries this month! 0 participants less or more than last month (20) and 12 participants more than 2017 (10).

There has been been 1 submission after the deadline (pitta)
I have to give out 1 warning due to a rule violation (towards Thelace43 - providing a WAV is mandatory!)
There are a handful of users that did not provide minimal documentation (Nige and Jarouse especially, Thelace43 could provide more as well)

Keep in mind, this could lead to a disqualification of your entry!

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable. Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory now. Those of you that only uploaded a WAV, a MP3 version would be nice. Please also update your posts with minimal documentation for others to learn from (see Rules & Guidelines).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

The Songwriting Competition 08 (SWC07) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th April 2018, 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

I hope it's still not too late for submission. Luckily, I saw a certain someone got a pass (Pitta, I think), I'd like to have a shot at it too if you are still in a good mood. I know about this song a little too late (my excuse), and even if it's too late, I don't mind. I just hope I have the ears of the artist and his comments. Thanks. Take a listen if you want. It's not too bad :). Thanks.

Wave: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dl-dZ ... ngdIrEa8G2 (super sorry!)
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11kwa1 ... PynJV5gEnb
Pitta

Post by Pitta »

I do not think I have a pass. Just wanted to join the discussion anyway if that is ok.
Cheers,
Certain someone :wink:
Studio Saturn

Post by Studio Saturn »

I don't think you are allowed to submit after deadline. This Forum is extremely strict about deadline. You have no idea how awesome I re- did the track in Reaper using only Waves Omni channel. The drum is glorious the Vox elements scream like crazy but I have already submitted fast done mix without evaluation. If second chance is allowed I will submit the Reaper mix.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The challenges simulate a "real life" scenario - we have rules for a reason

You might get feedback for submitted material after the deadline, but technically you're out of the game. And I've been very lenient with the participants in recent months.
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

Well, I guess rules are made to be broken, er I meant, to be followed :) That's cool. It's not like I am gonna win anything anyway. Just wanted to post the mix and hear some comments from anyone, really. I love this song, and, of course, I love mixing. Anyway, cheers to those who made it in time and even more cheers to those who didnt :)(that includes you too, Pitta!)
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

Studio Saturn wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 18:45 CEST
I don't think you are allowed to submit after deadline. This Forum is extremely strict about deadline. You have no idea how awesome I re- did the track in Reaper using only Waves Omni channel. The drum is glorious the Vox elements scream like crazy but I have already submitted fast done mix without evaluation. If second chance is allowed I will submit the Reaper mix.
Bro, give me your link and I'd love to listen to the 2 versions. I'll give you my 2 cents if you wanna.
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

I've been experimenting with compressing stereo signals with multi-mono compression. I wonder if any of you do the same. They work really well for me. They help clean out a lot of mud from the mix, especially from those with a lot of low frequencies so that they don't compete with the kick+bass. What I did to the song is quite simple. Using this song as an example, I noticed that there are parts that the trombones +the pad+the guitar+bass+kick+vocal are played together creating a pool of mud in the lower mid and low. So I strapped a compressor (R-comp) in multi-mono and set 1 side with slow attack (the one I chose to dominate) fast release, and the other with extremely fast attack and long enough release to keep the tail end from interfering with the bottom end. In my case, I shoved the trombones, the guitar, and the pad away to leave room for the kick, bass, and vocal. That way I only have to deal with the bottom end of any stereo signals only 1 side instead of 2. Let me know what you think of this techniques. Thx.
Nige

Post by Nige »

EchoOread wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 20:58 CEST
I've been experimenting with compressing stereo signals with multi-mono compression. I wonder if any of you do the same. They work really well for me. They help clean out a lot of mud from the mix, especially from those with a lot of low frequencies so that they don't compete with the kick+bass. What I did to the song is quite simple. Using this song as an example, I noticed that there are parts that the trombones +the pad+the guitar+bass+kick+vocal are played together creating a pool of mud in the lower mid and low. So I strapped a compressor (R-comp) in multi-mono and set 1 side with slow attack (the one I chose to dominate) fast release, and the other with extremely fast attack and long enough release to keep the tail end from interfering with the bottom end. In my case, I shoved the trombones, the guitar, and the pad away to leave room for the kick, bass, and vocal. That way I only have to deal with the bottom end of any stereo signals only 1 side instead of 2. Let me know what you think of this techniques. Thx.
Your balance sound pretty good, but it's completely overshadowed by that absolutely brutal bass guitar. I made a -5db cut with a bell curve at around 70Hz to your mix and there was still tons of bottom end to be had. it's kind of un-listenable the way it is imo.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Hi there !

I am working for you guys. EchoOread, I will try to listen and give you a feedback. BTW, sorry but I think you're out, in the end, M Fox will decide.
So, 3 mix reviews for the moment. Stay tuned !

Jonaslasse :
Loudness -30 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18)

Balance : Really cool, you chose to push more the back vocals tracks, why not, maybe a bit too much. The snare is maybe a bit too quiet for my taste. The trombone during the intro and the first verse is loud, and vanish a little when come the trumpets !

Tone : The tonal balance of the mix is nice, extended low, no harshness. Maybe just something missing in the hi mid (4/6k), nothing. About the kick, nice sub (but that ducks a bit too much), some more around 120 ? The wursted snare is nice and pretty unique. About the vocal tracks, it should have more clarity. I need some more 3k on the guitars. Cool vocals. More around 300 for the bass maybe ?

Stereo :
The main issue is the way you dealed with the brass section, I need more coherence on it. Other than that, nice stereo, not too much.

Dynamics : Pretty nice, I just need more attack on the snare.

Space/reverb : just a nice ambiance !

General : Yes it is a real good mix, the wursting emulation is nice ! The phaser (that I found cool) during the bridge could maybe be in parallel, some more dry signal ? The general level is higher during the bridge than in the ending, should maybe adjusted. I was distubed by some noise at the end. Thank you so much for the spent time on it, it means a lot !