2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
davemcisaac

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by davemcisaac »

Thanks MOA22 for the detailed review. I'm glad you like my mix. :grin:

I do have a couple points to clarify - not only for myself, but for all the contestants:

1. It does not state in the rule set for mix participants that we have a Loudness Target of -18 db LUFS integrated. Instead it states:
Rule set for mix participants
  • It is recommended to work with a certain reference level. We recommend to work at -18dBFS = 0VU (EBU R68 alignment level, see Wikipedia entry on Peak Programme Meters)
  • ideally, the final mix shall be anywhere within the the following range: -21dB RMS realtime to -15dB RMS realtime on average, while the maximum digital signal strength shall ideally not exceed -1dBFS
My mix fell right in the center of the suggested range of -21dB RMS to -15dB RMS @ -18.14dB RMS L/-18.32dB RMS R.

2. Also, my mix has a loudness of -15.6dB LUFS integrated, not -14dB as stated (measured with both Izotope Insight and MLoudnessAnalyzer (Melda Productions)
MOA22 po[quote=MOA22 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 00:01 CEST
Dave McIsaac :
Loudness -14 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Ok...
Once again, I am glad you like my mix. It should be no problem to address the issues you pointed out should I be lucky enough to move on. And one more time, thanks for providing us with such a great song and production for us to mix! :hail:
I anxiously look forward to finding out who will make it into Round 2.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

@ OliH : You're welcome, Grace is my favourite song, but I don't really like the mix. Too flat and thin, even if the production is amazing.

@Studio Saturn : Night and day ! The mix sample is really nice and finally not far from my approach. Thanks it counts.

@DaveMacIsaac : I must admit that I am not the man for the loudness science. And you were right, I made a copy mistake. Yes 15,6 db is right.

Needed a break tonight. Tomorrow night I'll try to finish, and maybe give you the 8 names for the Round 2 !!!
Jarouse

Post by Jarouse »

Thanks for your feedback.
I made the corrections:
For vocal correction I used Manny Marroquin EQ, Added Attacks on snare and did lower saturation; did lower the reverb bus.
I used ozone 8 spectral shaper to clean bass, and added body and presence with a simple EQ.

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YR7KJ ... NzrkKalfnn
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rL_gP ... QzD-v5bNjo
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Jarouse wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 17:55 CEST
Thanks for your feedback.
I made the corrections:
For vocal correction I used Manny Marroquin EQ, Added Attacks on snare and did lower saturation; did lower the reverb bus.
I used ozone 8 spectral shaper to clean bass, and added body and presence with a simple EQ.

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YR7KJ ... NzrkKalfnn
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rL_gP ... QzD-v5bNjo
What's going on here... submitting revisions before progressing to Round 2?

Studio Saturn wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 14:47 CEST
Thanks MOA22 For the Feedback I haven't spend like too much time I cooked it with 30 minute to mix the song and my apology for that. The song really is great it deserves a lot. However, I have been playing with it after I submitted inside reaper as you can hear it is not even no where what I think finished but this was what I came up there is the snippet that I have send for a lovely user who asked me to hear it in this forum. Thank you so much for taking time to listen and comment you deserve a lot. My apology for not taking the time to perfect the mix. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1haGV_ ... f3QuYxwvHF
And almost the same going on here?

If we're allowed to correct our mix on the fly and re-submit it before being picked for Round 2, do let me know.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Don't worry, the mix that counts is the original one. Think that there is some newbies, we have to be tolerant even if rules are rules.
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Thanks, David. I'm kind of a newbie myself and just wanted to make sure where we stand.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Wizzo :
Loudness -17,8 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18).
Balance : Good one, but the bass guitar is loud (Tone). The hihat is too loud for me. Vocals just nicely mixed. Strong Brass (verses), no problem. I need a stronger lead vocal during the chorus, no so much but a bit. There is a kind of hole in the mix at 300, feels better with a 2 db boost

Tone : The bass gtr need more below 70, and is strong between 120 and 200, that is cool but too much for me. Take care, your desseer works too hard for me. The kick could be boosted (mid + hi mid).

Stereo : Large and nice

Space/reverb : The left panned guitar has a verb that is not in the mix for me. The lack of room around the drums make the too upfront (but not too loud). The singing crew during the choruses is too massive just like there were just a pair of mic for 3 or 4 clones of me !

Dynamics/distortion : I need more level explosion when come the choruses. The guitars maybe need a bit more attack. Just a tiny more bit for the Kick and Snare could help (tone for the kick)

General : Good mix Wizzo. Thank you for that. Nice fx on the brass that help the song !! The most important issue is the way you mixed the vocals during the choruses. Peace !
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Kevin White :
Loudness -10 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). TOO LOUD !!!

Balance : The bass gtr is low (tone). Pretty good balance.

Tone : Your mix is too « V » eqed, and need more between 300 and 4 k. The kick is loud below 70, and need more 100, and 1,5k for me. The bass could benefit an mid hi mid boost. The vocals are a bt dark. Brass ok ! The guitar need more body (and less flanger, a bit too much). Think about a bit more deessing !

Stereo : Pretty large and nice too !

Space/reverb : Just cool.

Dynamics/distortion : The limiter you put in the masterbus killed your miw, huge pumping fx! The kick hits hard ! The snare could hit harder btw. The extra distortion on the gut guitar is not appropriate for me (not my taste)

General : You had some ideas. You just should be carefull with compression first ! Thank you for the time spent on it !
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Parnellij :
Loudness -15 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). ok

Balance : The vocals could be louder. Take care with the brass fighting with the vocals. Other than that pretty nice.

Tone : Your mix need more low below 100, even if I can hear your mix in the low range. The 350 is strong on vocals (verses). My vocals could be better with more 3-4 k. Overall, mix loud around 700. Good guitars

Stereo : Pretty cool !

Space/reverb : No real « room » feel in your mix but something with the snare.

Dynamics/distortion : No problem of dynamic, natural feeling there.

General : Parnellij, thank you for the try. You only should improve the space feeling, and some tone issues. Quite loved the sound of your drums !
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Mork :
Loudness -15 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). ok

Balance : Really good. The fx track is loud btw, and the bass a bit too.

Tone : Smooth tone, maybe a little bit dark, but I am ok. The bass gtr/kick is loud at 100. The snare could be better with a slight boost at 3-4k. The guitars could cut more (hi mid). Nice dark cymbs. Let the brass shine a bit more.

Stereo : Good, you just should center more the cymbs.

Space/reverb : Snare room is good.

Dynamics/distortion : My vocals need more control and gain gain staging before the compression. Other than that, ok !

General : I must admit you did a real good job Mork. A pleasure to listen to ! The needed fixes are almost subtle.