2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC047 September 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Thelace43

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC047 September 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Thelace43 »

CeZar wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 17:35 CEST
So, being the first time for me on this forum, I'd appreciate it a lot if you guys could give me some feedback on my mix .

This is a revised mp3 version from what I've sent in the contest:
link: https://we.tl/t-BwtUqPhI9r

Good luck to all of you!

Not a bad mix, toms are indeed kind of loud, but listen to the vocals near the end (just guitar) with and without the pitch correction.. It changes the actual melody! Otherwise, just based on my taste alone, I would add a tiny bit (more?) of reverb/echo here and there.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

The mix from davemcisaac is very good. I like it.

cheers - Sandro
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Frequency Painter has also a good mix.
I would love it, if there was a little bit more reverb on vocals at the beginning.
The end is a bit to distored for my taste.
Good job, well done!!
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

Sandro wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 20:31 CEST

cheers - Sandro
Thanks, Sandro! I just got my studio back up & running properly after a major snafu and can finally hear everything properly. Amazing what a difference that makes! If you heard my mix from MC046, you'd know what I mean.

I just listened to your mix. A bit wet for this particular song IMO, but that's all a matter of taste. I do love the 80's sound - doesn't get any wetter than that. :hihi: The biggest thing I noticed from only listening through once is the vocal feels like it drops after the final note of the bridge going into the chorus (it doesn't drop, but it feels like it does) because you may have leveled it a bit too much so that it doesn't rise & drop with the music. I also used a leveler (MAutoVolume) with compression, but I split the different sections of the vox to separate tracks to process it to fit the different sections of the song. It works well for a song with the dynamic changes this song has. Maybe you can try that. It never hurts to do some experimenting.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I like the R1 mix of Marc Clement. His mix sounds very clear, loud and in the face. He tamed the voice very well. I would be very interested to know exactly how he made his vocal sound.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

davemcisaac wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 23:26 CEST
Sandro wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 20:31 CEST

cheers - Sandro
Thanks, Sandro! I just got my studio back up & running properly after a major snafu and can finally hear everything properly. Amazing what a difference that makes! If you heard my mix from MC046, you'd know what I mean.

I just listened to your mix. A bit wet for this particular song IMO, but that's all a matter of taste. I do love the 80's sound - doesn't get any wetter than that. :hihi: The biggest thing I noticed from only listening through once is the vocal feels like it drops after the final note of the bridge going into the chorus (it doesn't drop, but it feels like it does) because you may have leveled it a bit too much so that it doesn't rise & drop with the music. I also used a leveler (MAutoVolume) with compression, but I split the different sections of the vox to separate tracks to process it to fit the different sections of the song. It works well for a song with the dynamic changes this song has. Maybe you can try that. It never hurts to do some experimenting.
Hi davemcisaac,
you´re right. I didn´t split the sections. very helpful tipp from you! I will try this with my next song to mix!
Have a nice day. Sandro
leslingle

Post by leslingle »

I have a question being new to this how are you notified that you made it to round 2 or not ?
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

You just have to wait for the artist's analyze there.
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

leslingle wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 19:56 CEST
I have a question being new to this how are you notified that you made it to round 2 or not ?
You won't actually be notified - just keep checking the thread for updates.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

leslingle wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 19:56 CEST
Aside from the already mentioned regular thread checking (and following the known social media accounts), you can also subscribe to the thread, or the whole sub forum.

In case of the thread:
Bottom Left corner, press on the monkey wrench symbol, and on the drop-down menu select "subscribe thread"

In case of the forum:
Bottom Left corner, right beside the Home > Board Index, press on the words "subscribe forum"