2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Henrik Hjortnaes

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 06:07 CET
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention:
    MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName.wav/mp3 and
    MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName_R2.wav/mp3 for Mix Round 2.
Respectfully, I suggest you make the above rule easier to read and thus easier to understand and remember.

With simplified underscores + renaming + consistent naming, it could look something like this (scrapping mp3):
  • IMPORTANT: You must use the following naming convention:
    MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_YourName_R1.wav (for Mix Round 1)
    MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_YourName_R2.wav (for Mix Round 2)
Koki21

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Submissions until 21-02-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Koki21 »

Koki21 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 13:50 CET
First of all, I wanna say hi to everyone! I’m not really sure what’s going on here, but I’ve just found out about this and I think it’s amazing. I’ve gone through the rules kinda quickly, so I’m not 100% sure if I’m doing everything correctly. So if I should be doing something differently, please do let me know.
Also let me say something about myself, I have a degree in Audio Production and I’ve started doing sound engineering professionally (mostly small stuff, like editing/mixing audiobooks, podcasts and that sort of thing), however I am aspiring to become a mixer, which is why I thought this would be an amazing opportunity to get better ( i do need to get a lot better!), since I don’t like mixing music all by myself, without any purpose.
For monitoring, I use Alesis 520 M1Active (pretty bad if i may say) in an untreated room and a pair of AKG k72 headphones, which I use for referencing. But I prefer working on monitors and my setup is far from ideal.

Here's my submission:

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tku6tp6ad2gvx ... 1.wav?dl=0

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxybcvf4i0xel ... 1.mp3?dl=0

Okay, here’s what i did, I won’t go into too much detail, if you’re interested in something don’t hesitate to reach out:

The Drums:
Pretty standard stuff, I ended up sending the top snare mic to the Aphex Vintage Exciter to get a little bit of that crispy top end. I added some plate reverb on there as well. I sent OH’s to the flanger to make them a little bit more interesting, and then I used BF-76 to parallel compress the drums (everything except the cymbals, i think).

The Bass Guitar:
I duplicated the DI track and added SansAmp, I think I settled on a preset "hollow bass", before readjusting it a tad bit. Then I mixed the two together. After that I sent the mix of the two to the compressor (MV2) and that’s all.

The Guitars:
Didn’t do much here. Some basic eq, a little bit of compression, and a lot of parallel compression. I really like parallel compression on rock guitars. Also, I added some echo to the Solo Guitar.

Lead Vocals:
Again, standard eq, compression. Then I took some eq and made a bandpass filter, without any lows or highs. I added some Manny M distortion to it, since I felt like they needed something and added two Valhalla echos, one synced to 1/16 and the other to ¼.
Backing vocals:
I left pretty much the same chain, except for the bandpass filter, which I removed. And I added some reverb on the Falsetto one. Since I found about this forum yesterday, I didn’t have too much time to mix this song, so there’s not almost any automation done, but I think automation is important, especially on vocals.

I think that’s it. Please feel free to check out my mix and let me know how you feel about it. I think I’m gonna join you guys and become a regular here. Have a good day!

I apologize for the inconvenience, I too have changed the name of the file to match my account name.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Henrik Hjortnaes wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:12 CET
Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 06:07 CET
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention:
    MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName.wav/mp3 and
    MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName_R2.wav/mp3 for Mix Round 2.
Respectfully, I suggest you make the above rule easier to read and thus easier to understand and remember.

With simplified underscores + renaming + consistent naming, it could look something like this (scrapping mp3):
  • IMPORTANT: You must use the following naming convention:
    MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_YourName_R1.wav (for Mix Round 1)
    MC000_ArtistName_TrackName_YourName_R2.wav (for Mix Round 2)
Noted, will be implemented with MC052 (sans _R1.wav)
OctopusOnFire

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC051 February 2019 - Submissions until 21-02-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Koki21 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 16:08 CET

Hi Octopus, pleasure to meet you!
Nice to meet you too! I also love the MV2, but don't usually put it on percussive stuff, mostly bass and voice, and I was wondering why would you use it in each mic instead of on the sum of both in/out and top/bottom mics. It makes sense, anyway.

@Moa22 71 mixes? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy :curse: I feel for you man. Take care and take your time.
Michael Schneider

Post by Michael Schneider »

Michael Schneider wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 23:54 CET
Hi,

my first mix for the mix challange! Seen it today and done it in 3 hours.

wav
https://soundcloud.com/michael-schneide ... pe/s-BUjSq

My documentation will be postet after sending for keeping in time :-)

edit 22.02.2019 0:20Uhr:
=> Documentation: :educate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15m8gds8iteohy1/1-14.PNG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8jg4gzq39p4i ... R.PNG?dl=0
Sorry, I changed the name in Soundcloud, but the Downloadname still remains the same. Now the new link with the corrected name.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-schneide ... r1/s-HoZwy
Koki21

Post by Koki21 »

Yeah, that makes sense, as well. I think I'm too biased towards that plug-in. If I could I'd put it on every channel! :hihi:
OctopusOnFire wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 18:56 CET
Koki21 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 16:08 CET

Hi Octopus, pleasure to meet you!
Nice to meet you too! I also love the MV2, but don't usually put it on percussive stuff, mostly bass and voice, and I was wondering why would you use it in each mic instead of on the sum of both in/out and top/bottom mics. It makes sense, anyway.

@Moa22 71 mixes? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy :curse: I feel for you man. Take care and take your time.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

No rush
UprightJoe

Post by UprightJoe »

You're on the home stretch now!