2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
balanceinnumbers

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Submissions until 21-04-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by balanceinnumbers »

Hi! I'm a new member. I did not listen to the original mix prior to mixing this. I just loaded up the source files and mixed them to my liking. I hope you will like it, too.

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw6Vo ... lk4b1RTb3c
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw6Vo ... GpidERXUjQ
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Submissions until 21-04-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to all the new faces here on this forum.

A friendly reminder:
Less than 24 hours left to finish your edits and submit your mix.

On the board index is a world clock that shows you when the submission deadline has been reached (GMT+1/CEST = Berlin/DE)
VasDim

Post by VasDim »

Hi all,
this is my attempt to mix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sr16ccdbgz5qj ... m.mp3?dl=0
Good luck to all.
VasDim
Studio Saturn

Post by Studio Saturn »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/814s8p9df4nfm ... n.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuki0i7717a5x ... n.wav?dl=0

Since my fiberoptic internet is down I uploaded using my phone. For that matter I couldn't upload the wave format. anyways, to make life easier. Here is some detail of my final output.

Peak -1.6 dBFS
True Peak -1.6 dBTP
Integrated Loudness -16.1 LUFS
Loudness Range 4.9 LU

:love:
Last edited by Studio Saturn on Sat Apr 22, 2017 13:03 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Last minute entry...

phpBB [media]
(MP3 320kbit, ca 9,3MB)
phpBB [media]
(WAV, ca 75MB)

How to download: right click on player, "save Audio as"

GENERAL INFO

Code: Select all

Work time:
0:00h	-	Start of Project
3:00h	-	finished initial sound design
6:00h	-	sound design mostly handled
6:30	-	project set up (gain staging)
8:30	-	setting up AUX channels
10:00	-	overall automation (movement) done, starting to mix (volume)
11:00	-	first mix done, ran out of time

CREATIVE EDITS
  • I pitched the snare and the main ride cymbal
  • I added a lot(!) of additional content to the snare, without "replacing" (sample re-trigger) the snare
  • I added 2 extra bars of percussion in the end to create a better fade out - technically a rule violation, but I ran out of time/ideas

SCREENSHOTS / DOCUMENTATION (all in 1680x1050, PNG)
Screenshot 01 - Automation 01
Screenshot 02 - Automation 02
Screenshot 03 - Automation 03
Screenshot 04 - Mix Console - Main Beat section
Screenshot 05 - Mix Console - Crash, Hats, Critters
Screenshot 06 - Mix Console - Loops, Bass, Pads, Sound FX (mostly Low Cut)
Screenshot 07 - Mix Console - Wobble Synth (routing left-to-right, plugin use of "ripping sound", no opened plugin UI's though)
Screenshot 08 - Mix Console - Aux Return (the send FX I used, gated plate reverb and the distortion module wasn't addressed / no "Prodigy" type parallel distortion)

COMMENTARY
Yes, I am the host of the Challenge, but I really, really wanted to join this round. It's been a while since I worked on a DnB track that wasn't my own (and never finished) or just a stereo edit.

Sadly, I guess I'm just not deigned to join any challenge as host myself (which is starting to bother me). Especially not without running out of time - which I did in this case (so much BTS work!). This project deserves at least 25 hours of editing time, but I did what I could in less than 12 work hours. I guess this adds to the "challenge" and definitely learning process - how to do proper time management.

Trained ears will notice a lot of problems still. I'd personally also do more panning work (percussion section, crashes mainly) and spread out the one or another signal (M/S width or panning automation). One thing that I'm also struggling with (like probably the rest of the entrants as well), is the low-end. There are so many signals that have super low frequency content. The sub (which is literally that - a sub sine!), the UK Bass, the Kick. This taxes the VU or RMS realtime meter pretty hard. I did do a lot of LC filtering to clean up the low frequency area, but it's still not enough - and I'm usually against using multiband compressors. That is a topic for Round 2 for sure - fix this area so that it translates well to small speakers and earbuds as well.

I hope all participants enjoy my edit regardless. Maybe learn a thing or two. Haven't used that many modulation FX in years, tried some new tools as well (mainly volume modulation ones), else I went a bit too early 90ies with the DnB mix I guess... but it's ultimately down to the "virtual client". I'm not mad if I don't make it to Round 2. I wanted to join, and I made it - even though I had to rush things.

Good luck to everyone.

EDIT:
- 0:10pm, added MP3 and some basic info
- 0:25pm, added commentary
- 0:55pm, added screenshots (documentation)
- 1:05pm, fixed broken links (audio file corrupt)
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hi and Moin!

Super last minute... kept fiddling around with some filter moves. Man do I need filters, I absolutely LOVE the fat sweeps and swishes in this song.

I know it has kind of an oldschool vibe, but as initially said "bridges" the gap to the modern spor/noisia and whatnot stuff, so I absolutely went for that. I wanted to retain some oldschoolish vibe with cool breaks and a knockin kick, but definitely went for the modern crisp excitement. Cause the Aliens know how to drop... :nutter: :)

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/chktsfza3c1ur ... k.mp3?dl=0

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsnk23bniwryl ... k.wav?dl=0

edit: fixed link to WAV-File
Last edited by Mork on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:34 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

! Bonus Info
*pst* I'm a placeholder post. Looks like the this month's Mix Challenge still has it's door open. Hm... new place, new participants and all. Looks like a rare chance to still sneak in an entry after the deadline. For how long? I can't tell. Could be 2 hours, could be 4 hours, could merely be 1 hour. Risky business.

That is... until the admin posts the next time and announces the end of the current Mix Round... The clock is ticking...
viceverser

Post by viceverser »

I totally should have held off... I did my mix in 4 hours :( But I was freaking about the possible time differential... (I'm in Mauritius ATM) and don't know the rules with whether I'm up to US time, or I roll with my time (When I signed up I was asked for my time zone???) Which is 11 hours earlier. So I played it safe and went with the earliest time. Damn... Found out about the comp 1 day ago, and lost 11 hours. Oh well.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC31 April 2017 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is 22nd April 2017, 12:00o'clock (midday) GMT+1/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended
We have 10 participants, no submissions after the deadline

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable. Those that updated MP3s only, please take note of the "additional info" of the intro post. Providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory now. Also please update your posts with minimal documentation if possible (will be mandatory in the future)..

Good luck to all participants

@viceverser
It is unfortunate that the news coverage dropped a bit late - but no worries. MC31 won't be the last. And this is exactly why the timer on the root of the homepage exists, and the world clock on the forum. You're always informed how much time you have left, no matter where on the planet you are. Just orient yourself on GMT+1/CEST - which is the time zone of Germany

See you at the next challenge on 1st May!