2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC01 September 2017 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Nige

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC01 September 2017 - Submissions until 24-09-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Nige »

Tony is 'Tbase2000', and yep we're collaborating. I've got nothing to do with Indaba, nor am I 'coming from there', although a few of the other guys take part in their mix competitions. We're part of another small community of mixers on a different platform altogether.
Cheers.
Tbase2000

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC01 September 2017 - Submissions until 24-09-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Tbase2000 »

Tbase2000...aka TNasty...aka TDiddy...Tony Hill not to be confused with DrJonzey. Anyway I played the bass and did some backing vocals.
Got Jokes and a new Cubase 9 Pro. We put some fun songs together for this competition. I've only mixed 2 Indaba projects and I like to network around the web. Doing these competitions has brought me back into the music scene a little, rekindled an old fire so to speak. Technology is amazing today so I enjoy listening to what others are capable of doing with it and building my own. Competition brings out the best. Deadlines force you to work. Collaborating online...not so easy to pull off. Very interested to see what comes out of this contest.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Nice! :tu:

I'm curious myself how this community will evolve. So please keep it coming
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Tbase2000 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 04:29 CEST
Technology is amazing today so I enjoy listening to what others are capable of doing with it and building my own. Competition brings out the best. Deadlines force you to work. Collaborating online...not so easy to pull off. Very interested to see what comes out of this contest.
Amen to that!
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

I won´t be joining this month´s challenge but I just wanted to highlight how cool it is that you guys made this track together over internet collaboration, it´s inspiring. Also if you guys ever need vocals hit me up! :tu:
Nige wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 00:48 CEST
This was a collaborative effort between myself and a handful of fellow mix engineers/musicians, and is our alt-rock/hard-rock submission named 'King of Ashes' for the SWC01
Nige

Post by Nige »

FixInTheMix wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 02:32 CEST
I won´t be joining this month´s challenge but I just wanted to highlight how cool it is that you guys made this track together over internet collaboration, it´s inspiring. Also if you guys ever need vocals hit me up! :tu:
Nige wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 00:48 CEST
This was a collaborative effort between myself and a handful of fellow mix engineers/musicians, and is our alt-rock/hard-rock submission named 'King of Ashes' for the SWC01
Absolutely, the Internet's a beautiful thing in that respect. What better way to bring people together from all around the globe working towards a common goal than music.
Always down to collab mate, they've been coming thick n fast over at our little group as of late. You're more than welcome to jump in.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 3 days left to create your production.

So far we only have one entry! I'd love to see at least 3-5 for the first Contest.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

Ok everyone has on their Poker faces and waiting for last call. That's cool. I'm going to post a song that isn't technically part of the challenge but I'm proud of. We could never agree on some of the elements but to make the contest interesting...here's a track that came about because of this challenge. Hope you enjoy.

Wave: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Rlpg ... sp=sharing

MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Rlpg ... sp=sharing

We have one more coming which is pretty epic. I personally have worked on all three so if that's a rule break then dont take this song as a submission. You are testing out your rule book on your first challenge and we are working how we do. As a group we produce multiple songs based on one producer/musicians ideas and then try to complete the song in time for the challenge. Hopefully that works for everybody but like I said, if it doesn't, scratch this entry because @Moa22 is coming with a badass song still in the mix. Wait for it.

Tell me if my -18RMS levels are correct please. Im still so confused on that. Tell me if I got it right or not for real. Drama!

I'm gonna tatoo -18RMS on my left hand....I'll get it someday
So this started out as a bass riff by me. @nige dropped some sick guitar on there. @Moa22 put down another layer. @beeble Cut some live drums for the track and @nige some midi drums. I did vocals and @nige did some back-up. @Moa22 had some indians in there also.
Last edited by Tbase2000 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 20:28 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost - let's get the important question out of the door:

Mix(ing) Challenge:
- the focus is mixing, not mastering
- try to shoot for -18dBFS RMS avg to -15dBFS RMS avg for the perceived loudness (ideally, non higher than -16LUFS SLk avg)

Songwriting Competition
- you can do whatever you feel like
- try to shoot non higher than K-12 (-12dBFS RMS avg, K-System v1) or -14LUFS SLk avg (or ILk for the whole stream) as absolute maximum loudness wise

That should clear the confusion.

To make an exception for the first Competition - you can update your link (edit your post!) to address this if you think your material is "too low in volume" and you were doing more than just "creative treatment" on the summing bus.

Then... I thought about what you wrote regarding submitting content. And I think you make a very valid point. This competition is about being creative, with as less limits as possible. So if you happen to collaborate on several productions, because you have that high of a creative output, nobody should be holding you off - period!

Since you people plan to release own(!) tracks, but with different forms of collaborations, that means more entries and therefore more variety of content. I'm all for that. Everything else would only limit the fun. It only gets complicated if you happen to write several tracks as main lead - which might turn off other participants (then again, they can't complain if they don't join in the first place!).

Though one major thing needs to be pointed out in this case as well - only one(!) person of the collaboration can pick up the license. And that's the main songwriter.

I think a rule change is in order. Which brings me to the discussion thread for the Songwriting Competition rule set:
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94

That particular thread exists for this very reason - to debate what makes sense, what would be fair for everyone, what could be changed. Sadly - barely anyone used that thread so far. So let's change it.

Long story short:
 ! Bonus Info
Last minute Competition Rule changes (to address the lack of participation)
  • if you have a huge creative output, you can collaborate as often as you feel like
  • in case of collaborations, no multiple entries of the same song - each song has to be individual and stand on it's own
  • only the main songwriter of the production can be declared "winner" and therefore only he/she can select licenses

If that sound fair - then let's get more material submitted. :tu:
You still have a bit more than 24 hours (in fact, 26 hours) to submit your production!