2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Necaster

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Necaster »

kirurg wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 CEST
Necaster wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:33 CEST
It's not that I'm thinking about my win this time, just for curiosity: I did not find myself in the lists you've posted. Please, doublecheck my post (#51,
Mixed_by_Necaster.wav
Oh, thanks a lot! Will buy myself a new pair of glasses :smile:
Yves VDD

Post by Yves VDD »

Damn, really bummed by the disqualification...
Thought I read everything. My filename was MC067_PAINT_ME_IN_COLOUR_LEAVE_WITHOUT_YOU_YVESVDD And my sample rate was 48k (higher is also a problem?)
This was my first entry, with respect for the organisers.
No way in rectifying?
Success to all contestants, heard some great entries
Cheers,
Yves
Lewshwa Music

Post by Lewshwa Music »

My mix was NOT -15.4. I'm done with this joke of a forum. I tried to mix within your bounds. Pointed out when others did not even try and you claim I'm over the line. Whatever. I'd rather avoid the bad habits you're instilling anyway. -16 is NOT industry standard by any means. EVERY radio track comes in at -9 or so. You expect a mastering engineer to turn it up by 7 LUFS? Mastering engineers have told me personally to submit nearly full scale mixes. They shouldn't have to do much with it. It's not 1982 anymore. But whatever. You run the show. You DQ whoever you feel like. I know you don't care, but I'm done.
Last edited by Lewshwa Music on Wed Jul 22, 2020 15:33 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
E.C.Miraldo

Post by E.C.Miraldo »

Hello!

I noticed that my entry has the following comment "User was struggling with LUFS setting. Unsure if reupload"

I wasn't exactly disqualified, but we should always aim to perfection right? So... I'd like to know what that means as I've got no idea :lol: :lol:

Thank you so much in advance!
Last edited by E.C.Miraldo on Wed Jul 22, 2020 14:50 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
TomImmon

Post by TomImmon »

Lewshwa Music wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 14:24 CEST
My mix was NOT -15.4. I'm done with this joke of a forum. I tried to mix within your bounds. Pointed out when others did not even try and you claim I'm over the line. Whatever. I'd rather avoid the bad habits you're instilling anyway. -16 is NOT industry standard by any means. EVERY radio track comes in at -9 or so. You expect a mastering engineer to turn it up by 7 LUFS? Mastering engineers have told me personally to submit nearly full scale mixes. They shouldn't have to do much with it. It's not 1982 anymore. But whatever. You run the show. You DQ whoever you feel like. I know you don't care, but I'm done.
Errors are possible, so i thought, i could check your file with a diffrent app (Expose from "mastering the Mix") and got:

MC067_PAINTMEINCOLOUR_MEWITHOUTYOU_LEWSHWAMUSIC

Integrated LUFS: -15.3 LUFS
Short Term LUFS: -11.5 LUFS
True Peak: -1.0 dBTP
Peak: -1.0 dB
Dynamic Range: 10.1 DR
Loudness Range: 7.7 LU

So, Mr. Fox's measurements are correct!
guiZgui

Post by guiZgui »

Lewshwa Music wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 14:24 CEST
My mix was NOT -15.4. I'm done with this joke of a forum.

I totally understand you, same for me, I had everything correct but I exported in 44/16 so I've been disqualified..

Screw this, it's not what music is about, every famous engineer will tell you THERE'S NO RULES
d8bflup

Post by d8bflup »

guiZgui wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 15:39 CEST
I totally understand you, same for me, I had everything correct but I exported in 44/16 so I've been disqualified..

Screw this, it's not what music is about, every famous engineer will tell you THERE'S NO RULES
To be fair, I don't work in the music industry, I mainly do video for large corporate events. However, I know for sure that when a client requests a video in a particular format/codec, delivering your work in a different format might not make you lose that client, however, you look very unprofessionally. This makes you loose credit with that client and it is probably strike one...
So it is just good practice to read the clients brief and deliver whatever the clients asks. If you don't agree with the client, it is not up to you to just say f*ck this, I do as I do... Maybe you have a compelling reason to do something different than the client asked, this should however, always be done in consultation with the client.

And concerning this particular contest, these rules are really sensible. They are really not hard to comply too. I've had way harder requests from clients.
Last edited by d8bflup on Wed Jul 22, 2020 19:48 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
guiZgui

Post by guiZgui »

And concerning this particular contest, these rules are really sensible. They are really not hard to comply too. I've had way harder request drom clients.
[/quote]

I understand it, and I have no problem deliver the right format or anything to a client, but we are not at school here !

Of course anyone can deliver what format you ask for, but it's a friendly competition here, the main goal was to share tips and trick and talking about each other mixes

But is seems that today it's juste an "exercise to the real world", personally I don't need that .
gaurav.talreja

Post by gaurav.talreja »

DAMN i got disq coz of sample rate.Mr Fox don't we usually render @ 24/48?
It feels horrible.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

personally, I feel with everyone who could not make it, but from what I had to learn is, specs are specs,
and also when formats are too different from each other, it becomes very cumbersome to compare a hundred mixes in one session, and extra SRC would perhaps be not fair to the results, and is also some extra work to do.

there were mixes that I liked a lot, like RJR sounded great, but it was practically mastered already.

but that's just my opinion, as the official writings are clearly on the wall.

some more opinion, randomly picking a couple of mixes because they were on the last few pages:

John
great balances
more reverb than me :)
love the full round vocal sound, the vocal processing rewards.
I didn't tune mine because organic personality
bass sounds a bit hard
around 2:06 there is a glitch in the vocals, like some signal drop out for a few millisecs
the effect in the stop at 2:51 is great
voc reverb in the finale sounds generally great but for me still a bit much
thanks for the documentation as it reveals some "cultural" thoughts i.e. why something was done or changed, for the sake of style and taste, and about what to prioritize

SDB_12
great balances, good flow
I like the snare sound
not too dry, not too wet, effects come and go in a nice way
good "wet" vocal effects in the rock part before the finale
ld vocal got a great "pop" sound, very clear
at 0:55 the chorus effect on vocals creates a little bit of that "bee swarm" sound

Edu Cesar
you have a lot of great stuff going on in the instruments, it already begins to overwhelm the vocals a bit.
so for a review, vocals might become a bit fuller, with a tad more low mids, voc strength in the finale is very good
good choice in section-wise changes of vocal effects
I like how bass and drums are one tight section, lots of punch
interesting effects on guitars
good flow, goood energy throughout
the strong signs of compression make it a little bit "vintage" which I guess serves the song well, but I wonder what the band thinks on that

Matik
very good mix, only the "male" vocal is a bit loud
keyboards sound great, some guitars contribute more to the keyboard section than to themselves :) but no problem, good outcome
rock guitar in the bridge part before the finale has an interesting signature sound, not so trivial

Mork
great one again, everything clear and balanced, dry and punchy
(as a pure matter of taste, I preferred more midrange in the vocals)
it rocks