2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
MOA22

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by MOA22 »

kc23 :
Loudness -16 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). ok

Balance : Almost good. the snare is a bit loud.

Tone : There is a resonance in your mix at 180 that disturnig, certainly because of a boost on many track at this freq maybe (guitars ?). Need more bass gtr and kick below 60. The bass could be helped at 300 and 1,5 k. The tone of the panned vocals is aggressic and thin.

Stereo : Nice panning for the back vocals.

Space/reverb : Snare room is good. Roomy and that’s good, but the vocals are a bit dry !

Dynamics/distortion : Pretty nice punch ! Just a bit more for the kick. The vocals transients are huge (t, q, g)

General : nice automations/fx on the vocals. You did a nice mice kc23. Thank you a lot for that mix !
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

PITTA :
Loudness -22 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). ok

Balance : The snare is loud. I need more lead vocals during the choruses. Nice brass.

Tone : There is a big boost at 270 on the Bass guitar that is disturbing ! The bass needs more bass too. Almost good drums but the kick has a bump at 45 that is too much, and not enough 100. More 700-800 and less 200 could help my vocals. Good gtrs

Stereo : Nice space during the choruses !!!

Space/reverb : Nice area there !!

Dynamics/distortion : The snare hits a bit hard. I need more control on the vocals, that are sometimes lost.

General : Thank you Pitta, you did a decent work with some extra creativity ! Hope you had fun with it !
Peace !
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Danny :
Loudness -16 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). ok

Balance : Cymbs are loud, i need more kick, tom and snare. Brass are nicely in the mix. The guitars too. The back vocals are a bit too strong.

Tone : The bass is strong at too 80. The kick is a bit thin.
I need more 800 on the vocals. More hi mid could benefit to the bass guitar. Generally I need a stronger mix in te middle area (400-2k)

Stereo : Nice panned vocals during the choruses

Space/reverb : I cannot clearly ear a reverb, maybe a bit on the brass. I need more

Dynamics/distortion : The snare could be better with more attack. Once agin, I need more « calibrated » vocals track to be efficient.

General : Thank you for the mix done, even if you are out of the contest. Some nice ideas, on vocals f.e. Peace !
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Hi, it has been really hard. In the end, I am not sure I wasn't wrong sometimes because it has been really repetitive. Sorry if the last reviews were a bit shorter but I couldn't do more.
Had to make a choice, so congrats to :

jonaslasse
Nige
Kevin Gobin
Isaac Yom
HenrikHojrtnaes
Octopussy
Wizzo
Mork

I am giving you some extra work to do, if you want to.
Thank so much to everybody !! Keep on mixing !

I have a thing to add. If you are ok, let's reference with a song that I like from a french artist named Alain Bashung. The song is named "Sur un trapèze" from the "Bleu pétrole" album. I know that the song doesn't match with mine, but think about those tones. (facultative)
Good luck !!!
gyerosaski

Post by gyerosaski »

Hi MOA22
Am I missing something or there's no review of my mix?
parnellij

Post by parnellij »

Thank you David for your feedback. I knew the lower mids of the brass was too loud and fighting the vocals shortly after submitting my mix, but it's the last thing I worked on, and the last thing I work on in any mix always sucks, or is at least too loud. I might spend too much time on technical aspects in my mixing and not enough on the creative side, as it seems my work always ends up sounding sterile. I need to take more chances. I'll revisit the mix in a couple of weeks when I've "forgotten" it and see if I hear what you heard.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

@gyerosaski :
Sorry, it was a copy/paste mistake probably, but it was already written !

Gyerosaski :
Loudness -14 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Ok

Balance : Pretty good one, but when come the choruses/bridge, the lead vocal track is not really there (tone/verb issue too). Other than that nothing special to say. The drums could be louder (1 db)

Tone : General lack around 1k. My vocals need more 700 and 350, to recover a bit of body. The low of the mix vanish a bit below 60. A bit more presence for the bass would be better. Other than that, cool.

Stereo : Nice, what is supposed to be centered is centered. Nothing to tweak.

Space/reverb : The verb bus could help with 3db less. But the vocals could be better with a send boost after it. The space is overall weird.

Dynamics/distortion : There is a lack of dynamic in the mix, did you limit it ? If not, be gentle with the threshold of the individual tracks/busses. I need more power variations.

General : Quite loved it, but you need to calm down the verb side ! Thank you Gyerosaski for the sweat !
gyerosaski

Post by gyerosaski »

@MOA22
Thanks for this complex revision of my mix. It will really help me to make better mixes in the future! I see that I still have problems with reverbs and dynamics this is probably because for most of my music journey I was working with EDM (big spaces and lack of dynamics ;)) and now I see that I have to switch myself to work efficiently with other genres too. One more time big thanks for your opinion and good luck on your music carrier!
isaac yom

Post by isaac yom »

MOA22 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 23:20 CEST
The song is named "Sur un trapèze" from the "Bleu pétrole" album.
oh my god i'm way too off
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Thank you MOA22 for such an amazing evaluation, feedback as well for picked my track to Round 2, also for reference track , amazing singer and song.