2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
MOA22

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC42 April 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by MOA22 »

I knew it you be tough ! Still many reviews to write.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Shall I combine each review to a monster post? If so, please let me know - because it's starting to get a bit confusing to read
parnellij

Post by parnellij »

MOA22 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 00:10 CEST
I knew it you be tough ! Still many reviews to write.
I think I can speak for everyone when I say we appreciate the care and detail in your reviews. In the last mix challenge, I got almost no feedback and had no idea why I didn't make it to the second round.
kc23

Post by kc23 »

parnellij wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 01:41 CEST

I think I can speak for everyone when I say we appreciate the care and detail in your reviews
Exactly. Awesome evaluation template as well!

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 01:39 CEST
Shall I combine each review to a monster post? If so, please let me know - because it's starting to get a bit confusing to read
I think it´s perfectly understandable the one-post=one-review chosen format (at least for me).

I think as long as everyone answers quoting what they´re answering to, it should be fine.

Gonna go listen to your mixes, people.

bye!
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

Thanks a lot MOA22 for those clear and detailed analysis.

Last time my mix was rejected because too low, so that -18 target rule is THE rule, I get it now. :face:

I knew that my choices were drastic so i am not surprised that you feel it was exaggerated.
I felt there is too much bass too, but it was too late to correct! :) Maybe later if R2...
However I am glad that you felt something.

You talked about masking... Do you mean the mix is blurry? Or is it just the brass?

Mr Fox I do not think we need any complementary post, we are fine here that way.

Bon courage pour tes autres analyses, et encore merci!
isaac yom

Post by isaac yom »

thank you for the detailed comment! now i've got some work to do.
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

David, you should win a prize for your detailed analysis. Very useful and very appreciated!
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

DodgingRain :
Loudness -23 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18).

Balance : Pretty good, vocals are loud (choruses, bridge), the back vocals too. Too gentle drums for me.
The rythm guitar is there, nice !!!
Other than that, ok !

Tone : The 85 boost on the bass is disturbing, just because of the hipass you put on it, the low notes totally vanish. The bass needs more 1,5 k. Generally pretty nice overall tone ! Note too bright. Nice guitars. More body needed for the brass (400 ?)

Stereo : Good. I am not fan of the « delayed panned » mono to stereo guitar fx, but I must admit it works pretty well there.

Space/reverb : Strange space (guitars), but as I wrote before, it works. It does’nt for the brass, too far.

Dynamic : Pretty good. I just need more punch (drums, bass)

General : Your mix is pretty good DodgingRain. No big mistake for me, just try to think about what I wrote. Congrats !!
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Jarouse :
Loudness -14 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Ok

Balance : The bass is loud, not a balance issue. Other than that it is good. More volume automation f.e to the right panned gtr during the 2nd chorus could help.

Tone : The sub freq of the bass guitar are too loud below 80. That kills the overall clarity of the mix. The bass needs more lo mid (@300-400) and some presence (3-7 question of taste). By look of the meter i cannot see a hole in the fequency field, just because the low eats the mix for me. Fix it + a bit less lo mid on the vocals (200), a subtle boost at 3/4 k, and that’s it.

Stereo : Nothing to say but cool. Love the extreme panning of the brass.

Space/reverb : Just lower the reverb bus of about 2db maybe ?
Dynamic/distortion : Some more punch for the snare (a bit), you were using too much analog style distortion, I love it too, but be carefull, the mix became dirty, especially at the end of the song (last chorus)

General : Some big issues for me Jarouse, but in the end, pretty easy to fix. loved the panned/pitched delay of the intro, and that resonant delay at the right side (verses’s guitars). Thank you for the work done !!!
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Octopussy :
Loudness -14 db LUFS integrated. (target = -18). Ok

Balance : Good. The intro is maybe too loud, I need a bigger level difference when comes the drums. The (autotuned ;) ) lead vocal track is 1 or 2 too loud for me, especially during the choruses. A lot of automations that are cool ! The bass guitar is a db too oud foAfter the hard guitar hit of the end of the first verse, those guitars are a bit lost, I need more (bridge, choruses, ending). I need a slightly bit more back vocals too (choruses). What is a noise at the end after the music ?

Tone : I bet you were using a Soundradix style plugin that follow the bass notes, but I need a lower Hipass freq on it. Love the vocal tone, probably the best for the moment (just a gentle 350 boost ?) !!! Nice guitars, nices brass. Can I hear 2 snare sounds ? Loved it by the way.

Stereo : Just NICE

Space/reverb : Nice vocals echo verb, the best one for me !!! Awesome space (especially during the verses for the vocals tracks). BRAVO

Dynamics/distortion : Punchy mix !!! Really really good

General : Extremely polished mix ! Don’t know the time u spent on it but WOW ! Sophistaced, elegant and quite rock n’ roll too ! Tasty rythm feel too (the delay during the verses on drums is amazing). Congrats !