2020-SEP-01 Info: Please check out Songwriting Competition 037 (Mental Health Awareness Month) and create some soothing "Lo-fi Hip Hop"

Poll: Do you want to see a dedicated "Rule Book" section?

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions

Do you want to see a dedicated Rule Book section?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 30, 2020 23:59 CEST

Yes - I'd love to have them in one place
96%
No - I like where things are now
4%

Total votes: 23

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Poll: Do you want to see a dedicated "Rule Book" section?

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello everyone,

today's poll is another simple one, yet has been a huge topic in recent months:
I would love to know from you, especially the longtime users, if you would like a dedicated "Rule Book" section as fifth challenge sub-forum?

Aside from certain recurring strong debates on various rule sets, we still have the occasional "wait - I didn't know that Rule ABC-XYZ existed". At this point, I can do nothing more than point towards the Rules and Guidelines for each corresponding game. Most notably in the Introduction post for example (1 time) and the "General Information" post (2 times). And then every time a question is coming up.

I slowly get the feeling that people would like to have a dedicated place to find all "Rule Books" collected in one spot. Same goes for more in-depth explanations for specific rule additions like: summing bus treatment, using a suitable reference level, Loudness Normalization (for Song Providers), etc. So I'm thinking, that streamlining things would be a good thing.

:arrow: Depending on the results of the poll, the changes will then happen during July 2020.

Of course this would overlap with the Production Techniques sub-forum. But this doesn't mean that both can't coexist. One sub-forum will be specific for the competitions, and one for "general use". The "Q&A and Gossip Area" will remain the same for the time being - it will continue to host the chats/general feedback about the games and the polls. I honestly didn't think of anything else what to do with this section. Everything else is fairly structured already (in my humble opinion and all that).

What are your thoughts on this? It would greatly help me if you could at least answer the poll (as in: make a selection).

Thank you for reading.

:idea: POLL INFO:
The poll will run until 30th June 2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST. You can cast one vote. You are able change your vote until that deadline

fogle622

Re: Poll: Do you want to see a dedicated "Rule Book" section?

Post by fogle622 »

I'm a newbie to the forum and a rank beginner in learning about audio production. I believe new members are the lifeblood of a competitive forum like this one. Without new members to engage against competitions will devolve into events pitting the same people against each other.

New members are not likely to know they should go searching through past posts for rules. Highlighting a rule "buried" in some past post might be seen as an attempt to unduly restrict, penalize or antagonize someone that, up to that point in time, was eager to participate.

It's one thing to point out to a person that the person did not follow a posted rule versus pointing out "that was discussed and decided in a thread last year".

There should not be an expectation that a forum member has read, remembers and follows every post in a forum. A rule book eliminates that expectation.
Jim Fogle - fogle622 on the web
Cakewalk by Bandlab - Audacity
Band-in-a-Box & RealBand
All my effects are stock or free.

i3 Dell laptop, 64bit Win 10, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

To clarify the last post:

There are no add-on rules or general rules "buried" in some random posts, which are then forgotten. Everything is collected and properly adapted within the "Rule Book" for the corresponding game - stored in the same sub-folder where the game is held). More in-depth rule clarifications are linked from these "main rules".

Not only that, the Rules and Guidelines for all games are linked to
  • from the navbar on the main page (each sub-section per game)
  • from the first post of each corresponding game (once)
  • from the second post of each corresponding game (twice)
So nothing is scattered around, or mentioned once and then forgotten. The ground rules are the same for everyone. And if there is a significant change, I do address that in the newsletter, in the first post of each game, and also with the "green header block" at the top of the forum.

:idea: I am not talking a "global rule book". As in, one set of guidelines for every game - which wouldn't work in the long run. I talk about a dedicated sub-forum in the "Challenge Forum" folder.

If the survey results are in favor of a change, all four main Rule Books would be stored and listed in this sub-forum (Songwriting, Remixing, Mixing, Mastering). Also all "addendum" posts with more details to specific topics (like the currently only two addenda that are: "summing bus treatment while mixing" and "loudness normalization for Song Providers").

I can not (currently) color-code pinned threads differently. And I can't have different sub-sections per forum where pinned threads are more visually separated. So the more challenges we have, the harder it will be to visually discern things. I fully understand that , and I would like to address this in the future.

:arrow: This is what this poll is about.

And you (the user on this forum) has the chance to influence this outcome. So far this thread was read over 260 times, yet only 10 people cast a vote. These 10 people, which are less than 1% of the forum userbase(!), represent and speak on the behalf of all (currently) over 890 forum members, not to mention the 60 participants (on avg) of the Mix(ing) Challenge. So far, 9 people are for a "dedicated Rule Book section".

The survey still runs for about 15 days. I think I need to post reminders on Social Media as well. Maybe then the participation for this poll will be higher. :thinking:

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 1st July 2020, the poll has ended. Thank you for your time and your given feedback.

From (as of this moment) 904 users on this forum, we've had 23 votes (a mere 2,54% involvement rate!). Considering 60 participants on avg for the Mix Challenge, and 10 participants on avg for the Songwriting Competition (together: 70 participants), this is an involvement rate of 32%. That in turn is less than half of the recurring contestants.

However - you did speak up loud and clear, and we have 22 votes in favor of a dedicated Rule Book section of the forum.

:arrow: What does that mean for the community now?

Over the course of the coming days, ...
  • the Challenge Forum will see a new sub-section, which will be called "Rule Books"
  • this section will host the Rules and Guidelines for all community games including their Addenda (current and future ones)
  • each current running game thread will see updates regarding the links to their respective rules
  • the Navbar (main homepage) will be updated accordingly
  • the Rules and Guidelines themselves do not need an update

Since I don't see any big hiccups happening while implementing this new sub-forum, I'd like to handle this "cleanup" while the forum engine is up and running. Please don't feel alarmed if you run into a dead end during that short timeframe.

Thank you for your time and feedback. I will send out a newsletter once everything has been set up accordingly.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

HI everyone,

just a short heads up:
The new "Rule Books" section has been implemented. There is also a new news entry about this. The newsletter covering this topic as well, will arrive sometime in the night from 5th July to 6th July (CEST). Apologies for the delays.

Thank you for your feedback and participation with this poll.