2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC076 May 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
nicores

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC076 May 2021 - Submissions until 21-05-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by nicores »

Hi, greetings from Argentina! I really like this song, i went for an 80s vibe with the vocal. try to emulate that vocal delay sound, like INXS, phil collins, depeche mode, etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1esEiBF ... sp=sharing

Bass drum:fab filter pro q 3, bass sidechain
808 toms: fab dilter pro q 3, MJUCjr, fab filter saturn

Sd: bx_console ssl 4000e
Shaker: autopan
Claps: bx_console ssl 4000e, bx_stereomaker
Congaloop: bx_console ssl 4000e, bx_stereomaker
Drumloop: bx_stereomaker, fab filter pro q 3
Tambourine: de_esser, fab filter pro MB
Bass: Cla_3A
Gtr: eventide sp2016 reverb
Blip arp: bx_console ssl 4000e
Rhodes: smooth operator
LV verse: fab filer pro q 3, cla_76, cla_2A, C4.
LV bridge: fab filer pro q 3, cla_76, cla_2A, C4.
Ad libs: bx_stereomaker

Synths and vocal Reverb: eventide blackhole

Vocal delay: mod delay III

Parallel processing: metaflanger, rc-20 retro color, cla_76
Master track: bx_townhouse compressor, maag eq 4,
vintage

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC076 May 2021 - Submissions until 21-05-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by vintage »

Hello,

Thank you for this new mixing opportunity, a very nice song done very professionally with great recording quality.

I mainly work on the balance without adding any final coloring left for the mastering phase, no compression or EQ on the final mix.

Here is my proposition:

I mainly used:

EQ MAAT ORANGE, WEISS EQ, FABFILTER PRO Q3 for all frequency corrections.
ACUSTICA N4 PRE RND 5088 on the main bus for 3D
TC ELECTRONICS PEQ3000 / DYN3000 COMP for drums and percussion
HARRISON AVA BASS FLOW, SOUNDWAYS LOW LEVELER for bass
PULSAR-MU voice compression
WAVEFACTORY TRACKSPACER SC COMP. BD / BASS and other tracks.
ROB PAPEN, RELAB VSR, PRESONUS for reverb and delay
I performed automations only on the effects of the voices

I will be happy to edit for the song provider if I am selected for the R2 :)

My material:

DAW Studio ONE 5, Monitors Amphion One 15 / HypexAmp., IK MULTIMEDIA ARC3 Correction., Acustica SIENNA / Audeze LCD2 classic open for headphones

Here is my proposition:

24bits/48Khz
Integrated Loudness (LUFS - BS.1770) = -18.04 (ITU)
Max. TPL (True Peak Level - BS.1770) = -3.34 (ITU)
DR (PMF Dynamic Range) = 11 (PMF)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FVcdID ... sp=sharing

Good luck to everyone,
Patrick from Brussels
Tapwater

Post by Tapwater »

Hello, thanks for the great song to mix.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KWAOe_ ... p=drivesdk

Drums-Took some of the sub out and added a bit more attack and automation to the kick. Added a bit of 300 to the snare to fill it out. Automated some of the fills to give movement.

Bass-Added a bit of distortion to give it some definition and rolled off some highs.

Keys-Scooped out some highs and lows so they sit better in the middle. Panned slightly.

Synth Arp-Added some delay and cleaned up some frequencies.

Synth Pad-Washed it out a bit with reverb to make it more ambient.

Guitar-used and amp simulator to give it more flavor. Also added some delay.

Vocals-Lots of automation, a touch of distortion and suttle reverb and delay.

Thanks!
s&f

Post by s&f »

Hi thanks for letting us mix ur song.

it was very easy to mix as the production is very well done. hope my mix is to ur liking. here's my mix:

Mp3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6zhxfespsdk7 ... F.mp3?dl=0
WAV
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg9z2h2js6i87 ... F.wav?dl=0

Drums
almost no treatment, but I added RBASS to the kick and snare. also added a gated reverb for snare

Perc
Just cleaned up in general

clap
pitch shift, bass, sidechain

Keys
cleaned low end mostly

Guitar
Waves doubler and side chain

BV
added a lot of low frequencies and reverb

LV
LV general treatment. but the delays and effects were doubled the LV and then Logic pitch correction like autotune, then pitch shift, then delay. I thought it was a pretty nice LV FX hehe

thank u!
jeffssoloband

Post by jeffssoloband »

Dear @Christoph_K & Suspicious Flashlight, and the Mix Challenge community,

Please find my entry for MC076 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpzu528fcbj2e ... d.wav?dl=0

As usual, I am perplexed by the recommended reference tracks listed by the MC Staff ("Puttin' on the Ritz"?! :nutter:), but who am I to judge seeing as I have never made it to the next round, lol.

Anyway, here's some highlights of what I did in my mix:

Everything is ITB with Logic Pro X. I organized the tracks into eleven groups (drums, percussion, bass, guitars, keys, pads, arpeggiator, solo synth, that flute thing, lead vox, and bg vox).

I started with the drums, as that seemed to be the backbone of the arrangement. The snare and the toms got a bit of reverb. Everything else is dry. The tracks are hit with parallel compression for thickness. Then I bussed it all together and it with a limiter until it was pumping in a good way. The percussion tracks were mixed together, so that the drum loop, hand claps, and the rest of the random tracks were slappin', and that group was blended into the drum buss until it felt balanced.

The bass has an instance of a dynamic EQ that is side chained to the drum buss to duck it out of the way of the kick drum attacks. It's also hit with some saturation and compression for control.

The guitars just have a bit of chorus and amp effect. I attenuated some of the pick clicks because I thought they were obnoxious, but I assume the artist wanted them to be present, so I tried not to go too crazy. There's also a high pass EQ to get rid of some muddiness.

For the keys, the EP is stereo-panned to the left, and the rhodes to the right. There's a bit of reverb on the group, and again, a high pass EQ to clear some of the mud.

The pads & strings have a lot of auto-panning for motion.

The arpeggiator has a telephony filter and id drenched in an airy reverb.

The solo synth has some pretty aggressive saturation, mostly to give it some excitement.

The flute track has a shimmery arpeggiator, a "moving space" impulse response reverb, and some auto panning for swelling and emotion.

Not too much on the lead vox. Basic EQ, compression, and reverb. I wanted to differentiate the two bridges, so there's a radio effect on Bridge B. The chorus have unison "harmonies" panned to the left and right to widen things up in this sections. And the chorus coda vox have that radio effect back in action. There's a lot of automation on the fader to bring things up and down as needed.

I applied the "rear buss" technique to the entire mix to give it a little more weight. There's a compressor on the master buss that gives a dB or two of gain reduction in the loud parts. And that about sums it up (pun intended).

As always, I thank you for listening (and reading), and for your consideration. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Until next time,
Jeff (jeffssoloband)
SuC76

Post by SuC76 »

Here's my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13L61yR ... sp=sharing

BD: split into 3 tracks, cla76, stock eq

SD: split into 2 tracks, cla76, stock eq, some room rev.

BD and SD parallel

BASS: split into 3 tracks, cla76, la3a, stacked, stock eq, sidechain 3 dB GR

GTRS: stock eq, some slap delay

Keys: subbed into one group, stock eq

VoC: split into 4 tracks, cla76, la3a stacked, stock eq, added some low oct., widener, chorus, on choruses

BG VOC: split into 2 tracks, cla76, la3a stacked, stock eq, roll off some top, added some low oct., widener, chorus

DAW: Ableton Live 10

Mixbus:
VTM Brit-N, UAD-Pultec, VTM

Good Luck
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your mix.
LughSenderson

Post by LughSenderson »

Hello, as I always kept my mix simple, as the tracks were already very controlled, I applied compression only on vocals and on the mix bus. I equalized all instruments with Bx SSL 9000J, almost always adding good amounts of treble. My goal was to make a well-defined and yet spatial mix. I had four Lexicon PCM Native reverbs, room (percussive), chamber (guitars), concert hall (Keys) and plate (vocals). I also had 4 delays configured in different ways to help in the environment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1efXSo1 ... HBRxC/view
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i8ahi6kwinmh ... s.wav?dl=0

Here is my mix, taking the comments from last month I have tried to reduce my usage of saturation
I tried to make a mix that would show the individual parts but as a whole
Not so much reverb, it’s pretty dry
Used width
Used a variety of effects to achieve
Mainly eq, some compression and a bit of delay
Bass had quite a bit of work to it on a parallel channel
Drums had parallel
Vocals had parallel
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Clueless on Fri May 21, 2021 23:39 CEST, edited 4 times in total.
Frequency Painter

Post by Frequency Painter »

Hi Chris, everyone,

This is my contribution. I made a mix you can dance to, 4 to the floor with some pockets of rest and subsequent energy.

The kick was a bit of a trouble child, it might have been better to have another one suiting the low-end punch "better". Something like this maybe? https://open.spotify.com/track/2cc8Sw1O ... ccd36b4eab Anyhow I made do with some parallel compression, some rather hefty eq and saturation.

The snare has saturation and eq + reverb.

The hihats and tambourin have eq and a light pumping fx + delay (automated)

Claps => EQ and reverb

808 toms eq cut @ 200Hz

The drumloop has eq, distortion, a stereospreader, a transient designer and a delay to give it some groove.

Guitar 1: saturation, eq, compression (add attack), a delay and a slight chorus.

Guitar2: Eq, widener and reverb.

Synths: eq and chorus and/or delay

The piano and rhodes have complementary eq +reverb

Strings: eq

All instruments are sent to a buss => side chained to the kick.

Lead vocal: compression, saturation and more saturation + doubler in the choruses. Reverb and a slap delay to make in fit into the track.

Background vocals and aaahs => eq saturation and reverb/delay

Mix bus: Eq to cut out a build-up @245 Hz, another "analog" eq to give some colour and to sweeten the high end. Compression (SSL), tape, and a multiband comp to give the track some movement.

That's it :smile:
Cheers,

FP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ein7ewvzjk4nr ... 0.wav?dl=0