2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
TheLordRudman

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by TheLordRudman »

Hi good afternoon, I was mention on the topic to do not copy/paste and I don't know if I wrote my description wrong (English is not my first language) but, in my mix I do not copy/paste or add additional tracks/samples to the song. I only work with the provided tracks and add Send FX on it. Also thanks again for the opportunity on MIX, always is a great chance to improve my self and have a good time doing mixing. I'm going to wait for the round two and see what I need no fix, because this is my first time that I'm doing the Mis Challenge Round 2.

Thanks again and have a great week everyone.
kirurg

Post by kirurg »

I copied the riser and a part of drums ovh as well. I did refer this in description post.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for that honestly - I must have over-read that.

I'll add it to the notes and update our Song Provider as well.
SEEL Mixing Farm

Post by SEEL Mixing Farm »

Disqualified for a couple of lufs.. rules are rules.. funny :hihi:
Vanilla Puff

Post by Vanilla Puff »

Well couple of lufs adds a lot of more punchy, more rich, more soundstage and just better feel when you start comparing.

I didn't see that copying riser for before chorus was not a thing anymore, so my bad... I have added it before the chorus. It is barely noticeable so removing it won't change much. :face:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Before this is going out of hand, and I have to start cleaning up the thread:

:arrow: Added Content

Please check in again with the official Rules and Guidelines (Post #6), most notable bullet point #8 (more distinctly established since 2017, updated for clarification in 2020). After being asked about the topic of "transitions", we, as in the Song Provider (@Los_ady) and I (@Mister Fox), also made clear in post #5 and post #6 of this very thread to work with what has been given to you, and then make the best out of it. In no way shape or form was there stated "you are allowed to copy/move content".

Albeit it was stated, and I quote:
Los Ady:
Get creative with the AdLibs and elements in the mix as they are repeating. That's one of the big lessons I learned in Hip Hop mixing: That additional production to spice things up is appreciated and often needed/taken for granted.
Mister Fox:
Mix wise: As mentioned by our Song Provider, adding the occasional transition effect (through FX usage, not samples!) might spice things up. Maybe even the use of dub-type delays, if you think this fits the narrative. This is the "experimentation" part of the game. See where the road is taking you.

Even if it might look like it from that one paragraph, there was no room for interpretation. It was merely a statement on what Ady learned during creating his original mix. From the looks of it, more participants have ignored both the given rules, and(!) what we established on Page 1, then used it as "free pass". Okay, then...
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
As states several times, this is currently not a factor for getting the disqualification tag this month (aka: July 2021). Just a warning. But in fairness to every other participant - you might need to address this topic and revert to the original source material, should your entry be selected for Mix Round 2.

If similar is going to happen in future Mix(ing) Challenges, your entry will be tagged "disqualified" again.
And this will be our final word on this.

:arrow: Loudness Specs

It has been declared many, many years ago, that your entry is not allowed to exceed -16LUFS ILk and -1dBTP. See Rules and Guidelines (post #6), most notably the sub-section "Upload and Submission Guidelines" (last adjusted December 2020).

The Statistic Sheet offers you a bigger headroom of +-0,3LU (from -16,0 LUFS ILk, allowed tolerance of meters is usually +-0,1 LUFS) and +-0,05 dBTP (from -1,00 dBTP, allowed tolerance of meters is usually +-0,02 dBTP) headroom due to the updated state of various existing loudness meters, and them using different setups/allowed tolerances. This is merely a courtesy from my end - I could be way more strict based upon the following (currently) most accurate tools in the market: Wavelab 10 (Batch Analysis), Nugen Audio VisLM/MasterCheck and Youlean Loudness Meter.

This is a monthly recurring topic, and I'm honestly getting tired explaining it. Please also check the Mix Challenge FAQs, Q/A #6

:!: IMPORTANT

As mentioned in the Wild Card Mechanic (test run until/including AUG-2021): unless your entry could not be downloaded, or it is confirmed that you re-uploaded your mix, your entry is merely tagged as disqualified. You still have the chance to continue your participation through the use of a Wild Card, should your entry be selected for Mix Round 2.

I will now move any follow-up post on either of these topics over to Mix Challenge: General Gossip, this is what the thread is for. For feedback and constructive criticism.

@Los_ady is still in the process of traveling back home from months of being on the road (EU wide COVID regulations, and catastrophic flooding doesn't make things easy). He might be able to further comment shortly.
SEEL Mixing Farm

Post by SEEL Mixing Farm »

Clear, but I don't understand why in other far more noble contests these nerdy rules are not taken into consideration. A song no longer plays well above 16 lufs? In any case, i do not agree with all these benchmark parameters so narrow that they do not have a creative or musical sense. It does not take anything to make ends meet a couple of lufs we all know) I greet you all and wish you all good luck bye guys see you in another contests :cool:
Analog4Lyfe

Post by Analog4Lyfe »

I’m now learning about LUFS. Thanks for the heads up.
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Hey Everybody!

Apologies for the late, late, late reply, I know you are excited! I just made it from Morocco to Poland in the past days, from court visits in Morocco (Visa expired 1 year) to police and paper work to be able to leave the country :)

Everything went very well, we just paid a 60 euro fee and got invited to a grill party from the judge (True Story)

Anyway, our car broke down 180km before we arrived to our final destination, so it was 2 extra days to fix the car and make it running with the tools I had so we could arrive to the closest mechanic and then hitch hike the last KM, phew!

Sooooo - I'm on it and keep you updated for Round 2! Thank you for everyone who participated, you rock!
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

@SEEL Mixing Farm I understand that the rules seem to be overwhelming and that's ok. -16LUFS is important to leave headroom in mastering, it have nothing to do with "sounds good/sounds bad"

Don't forget that there are many people dedicating their free time and effort to make this happen and you are free to join this contest or not.

Btw, when you arrive in the professional world and mix for labels, those rules will apply, so this is a real-life situation here - Then you won't be able to leave a comment and disappear because this could be the end of your career :)

Wish you all the best in other contests!