2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Michael_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Submissions until 21-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Michael_K »

Hi everyone!
Another great song for us to mix! Thank you!
Here is the link to my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lzbug1 ... 6uoPQ/view

The tracks for this song were quite processed so I tried to do as little as possible.
The kick has a small cut in the low mids and very gentle saturation.
The snare and the other percussion tracks have a few added highs at 8K (shelf).
The snare has a couple of db of compression (1176).
Bass1: mostly flat with a bit of saturation.
Bass 2: Treated as an effect with a panned short delay.
The synths and guitars have low and mid cuts to taste, and some added highs when needed. They all have a minimal amount of eighth note delay with medium feedback to create some space.
Lead Vocals: C4 for de-esseing, neve style (V-Comp), then eq, and minimal pitch shift.
Backing vocals: Grouped and compressed as a group with a brightening eq.
Various levels of pitch correction on the vocals.
Automated the reverb and delay of synth part after the chorus to make it gradually build into what comes next.
Sent the first kick of each chorus to a long reverb for a little more impact.
The synth pad at the end is automated through a low pass DJ style filter gradually going from open to closed,
rahulk7987

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Submissions until 21-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by rahulk7987 »

Hello!!!
I would like to thank the song provider and the staff for the opportunity to mix this cool song.

Major part of the mix was just levelling the tracks. For DRUMS, some minor EQ and compression was used. For Bass, RBass along with CLA 76. Subtractive EQ was done on the Guitars. Dry vocal tracks were used. Vocals were autotuned and Enigma was used parallelly for effect. Tape delay was used for vocals.

Hope you enjoy my mix. Cheers.

Mix Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18OPgR9 ... sp=sharing
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi again Killa,
there's nothing 'wrong' with sending lots to the same reverb, I've watched a tutorial vid where the great Warren Huart did exactly that and showed how effective it can be. However, it's not my strategy to use this much on the path I hope to be on. I believe we should listen to every detail. What is unique in this particular song? How does one part interact with another? Mixing is so complex, it is what I love about it. Given there are so many things to consider, I'd like to try lots of options out. If we need reverb on a certain instrument, I'll try at least 10 different ones out before I'm at all sure which ones are the better choices. Each audio track has it's own features - it's timing, it's colour, it's freq range, it's dynamics. In turn each reverb has it's own features, it's predelay, it's resonances, it's decay etc. Some tracks might respond better or worse to a reverb plate which has a resonance at a certain frequency. If you were in a top studio with all the gear in the world and the best engineer of all time, I know that they would listen to all the music and make choices from the options at their disposal to get the best out of each instrument. I know I'm at a lower level, but because I know this is how things are done at the highest level, that's what I think I should aspire to and I think this is a good tip :) However I'm very happy that other people disagree and that there's many ways to work that are also good.
Cheers all
Andreas_Ko

Post by Andreas_Ko »

Hello everyone,
here is my mix and my style of mixing, I really can't make my mix quiet becase my gain stage doesn't allowing me to do that :smile:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16E5c-B ... sp=sharing

my strategy is to use as minimum tools as possible, I was use the same channel strip across all the tracks + several comps on the vocals
my FXs are standard and simple
2 med hall reverbs
2 ddls (long and slap)
chorus
flanger

cheers :wink:

EDITED:
renamed my file
Last edited by Andreas_Ko on Tue Apr 26, 2022 09:32 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
ggibson1988

Post by ggibson1988 »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bo0UtE ... sp=sharing

Decided to try my luck with dry vocals. Used Melodyne to level out pitch. Added automated distortion to main verse call backs.
Next, leveled all tracks before adding any additional plug-ins, with the exception of light compression on master channel.

Drums:
Drum Aux: EQ with HPF @ 30 Hz, boost at 150 Hz, cut of -5 dB @ 400 Hz, high shelf of 12 dB @ 3.5K
BUSTERse for Compression.

Kick: EQ with HPF @ 20 Hz, Boost of 4 dB @ 75 Hz, Cut of 4 dB @ 400 Hz, high shelf of 2.5 dB @ 3.5K

Snare: Gain adjustment only.

HH-Clap-Snare: EQ With HPF @ 30 Hz, Boost of 3 dB @ 350 Hz, High Shelf of 12 dB @ 7k

Drums 2nd: EQ Boost of 9 dB @ 60 Hz.

Hall and Plate Reverb as well as 1/2 and 1/4 Delay on Vocals.

All compression done on Aux Channels. (Drums, Vocals, Instruments, Bass)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Submissions until 21-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your mix.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Hi there,

One of the better songs I´ve been mixing for mixchallenges so far.

The vocals did need a lot of attention. So there was some tuning (Reatune in Reaper) but that didn't do the trick for all parts. So I sliced the vocalnotes and treated them seperately with a pitchshift plug in. I later crossfaded the sliced sections.

Apart from the intro (where I used a radio effect on the vocal) I kept the vocal fairly natural. But to give it some 'bite' I routed the vocal through a channelstrip that had a 'vintage harmonics' option. That worked really well. Then I routed it back through mic pre for some sonic character. Subtle but I liked the sound. Apart from that there is som eq, and compression on the vocal. just basics.

For the vocal effects I used a combination of a mono-delay followed by a plate-reverb. I also sended the vocal to a chorus plug in and mixed that in at a very low volume.

Some of the synths I treated with a filter controlled by a LFO. To build up some tension in the song.

Most synth tracks had nothing more than some eq and compression.

Guitar: EQ, Exciter, compression and reverb (I used TimeVerb -freeware plugin- that gives a nice effect-)

'Pizz': this one needed more processing in my opinion. It has got a compressor, multibandcompressor, guitarampplugin, saturator and some eq....all subtily layerd to create a thicker sound.

Bass: bassharmonix exciter (Bassmanager - Reaper - ), ampsimulator, compressor, and eq.

The beat: compression and eq. the snare has got some reverb (Timeverb again....very little CPU). Than I routed it through an analog bus compressor. That made it sit a bit better in the mix. I used the comp with a very fast attack time so that the transients softened a bit.

But how I got there is not the most important thing, what really matters is how it sounds. And to learn from it I like to hear what you think. Because, without hounest feedback I'm not going to learn from it. Still I hope you like it. You can listen to it by clicking on the link below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahp8xH6KRIfbeksqgL8 ... A?e=WD3a1h
raphcath

Post by raphcath »

Hi everyone, this is my first time here.

I'd like to thank the mix-challenge team and the song provider, it's been fun to mix this song.

The multitrack was already clean and well processed, so I did not do much on individual tracks, mostly EQing.
I spent most of my time dealing with volume and filtering automations on the bass and synths to highlight the transitions.
I added an echo on the lead vocal depending on the lyrics and when there was enough space to repeat the full sentence("rêve éveillé qu'on vit à deux" means "dream we live as a couple" and "pour garder le son de ta voix" means "keep the sound of your voice", being French helped).
I added a bit of sidechain compression on the bass and synths triggered by the kick to add a bit of pumping.

Lead vocal:
- I used Slate Digital Metatune with the Note Stabilizer feature to avoid the tuning artifacts
- Boosted around 5k to have a modern pop vocal
- Deesser to compensate for the 5k boost
- Sent to 3 reverbs, one short, one medium and one long

Various:
- The intro synth is mono because I thought there was a weird panning movement
- Exciter and HF boost on the acoustic and funk guitar to highlight the transients
- 200Hz boost on the piano
- 400Hz cut and 5k boost on the kick
- Virtual Tape Machine on the mixbuss
- various adjustements of side gains on guitars, synths, drums

Thank you for listening, please let me know what can be improved.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xmXeYI ... sp=sharing

Raph
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Hello,
Here is my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8V5ct ... sp=sharing

Vocals: HPF - it was challange to get ride of lows and harsh frequencys. I cut low end a bit and cut also harshness.
Vocal has some effects in original mix, but i think because of it listiners didn't hear the vocal so i tried to change it.
Kick- I try to make it more powerfull, because for me in original it has too quiet kick. I added low end and add more punch
Bass - it has too much boominess and boxiness what i cuted.
Reverb - vocals, some elements and snare.

Overaall i tried to add to song more pop character.
Cheers!
MattP

Post by MattP »

Here's my mix. Cool song and a blast to mix! Thanks for the opportunity!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmuatdpbqgxyx ... P.wav?dl=0

DRUMS: The usual stuff; HP + LP and 300ish cut on kick, brightened snare a little, a little Devil-Loc + SSL compression on the drum bus and cutting a little 100hz; Stereo + Mono Drum Parallel Compression tracks; Also ran my drums parallel through my Peavey Kosmos for low end.

BASS: UA FATSO on BASS-1 ran parallel through my Furman P-10 and DBX 120 for lows, nothing on BASS-2, Both BASS tracks side chained to kick

KEYS: Nothing too fancy, Mostly EQ

PIZZ: Thinned out quite a bit with UA FATSO + DEVIL-LOC Compression

ACOUSTIC: HP + Compression

FUNKY GUITAR: GTR Stomp 2 OD + Delay Pedals, Boosting Bids with API 550

VOCALS: EQ + Compression + De Ess + Some Delays/Reverbs + Vocal Parallel Compression

Most tracks ran through a Parallel Mono Compressor

Some EQ + Compression and Tape Sim on my Stereo Track